1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers trade Blake Griffin to Pistons for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley and picks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jan 29, 2018.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

With Roberson out and the Clips now trying to avoid the playoffs I would love to see OKC give up a nice piece for Lou Williams. A nice ball hogging, no D scorer to play with WB and Melo

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

He might be good for them as a spacer since WB hogs the ball.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't think the trade was that bad, I mean nobody wants to play in Detroit and they have horrible attendance so Blake would definitely give them a lot of hype just like when Cousins got traded to NO. I think Griffin and Drummond even fit together better than Cousins and Davis, Drummond is basically like De Andre Jordan with some post skills anyway so Griffin can continue to play his way. As for the Clippers Bradley and Harris are nice pieces but they need to start tanking to get those franchise players. West should also fire Rivers and his son because those two are the reason Lob City disintegrated.

4. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Drummond and griffin will be nice!

A star goes to the east

makes things more interesting over there

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

#345 J.R., Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

CP3 can just call up Ron Artest. Bet he'd know.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What a completely worthless statement.

pippendagimp and Rocket River like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clippers’ Doc Rivers: ‘Out of Nowhere’ Blake Griffin Blockbuster Had its Roots in Playoff Collapses

LOS ANGELES – The Blake Griffin Era ended like a Hemingway bankruptcy: gradually, then suddenly.

Clippers coach Doc Rivers told reporters Tuesday that the blockbuster trade that abruptly sent Griffin to the Pistons on Monday had unfolded rapidly in recent days, but that the move—which returned Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic, and draft picks—could be traced back to past postseason disappointments.

“[The trade] came out of nowhere and it came pretty quick,” said Rivers, during a pre-game press conference. “We hadn’t been talking about it that long...Everybody [in the front office] was involved. Nothing really has changed about how we discuss trades at all. [President] Lawrence [Frank], [GM] Michael [Winger], that whole group. They bring [the idea] to myself. [Consultant] Jerry [West] is involved as well. We all discuss it. That’s how we do things.”

Rivers, the Clippers’ coach since 2013, saluted Griffin’s impact on the organization. Selected with the No. 1 pick in the 2009 draft, Griffin’s immediate development into a high-flying All-Star and his pairing with All-Star point guard Chris Paul transformed the Clippers from the NBA’s biggest laughingstock into a perennial 50+ win playoff contender. Indeed, Griffin was a member of the five winningest teams in the Clippers’ franchise history, which dates to 1971, and played for teams that made the playoffs six straight years from 2012 to 2017.

“I really believe [the Clippers’ history] is pre-Blake and post-Blake,” Rivers said. “Before Blake came here, this wasn’t a great franchise as far as basketball. But once Blake got here, [Paul] followed, [DeAndre Jordan] and all those guys. That’s when this team was a franchise that you talked about. Blake is responsible for all of that. … I really enjoyed coaching him. I found out things about him I didn’t know as a player. His passing. I never knew he was [such a good] passer and playmaker.”

Despite those successes, Rivers acknowledged that the Griffin/Paul Clippers will likely be defined by their postseason failures and shortcomings. In the 2014 Western Conference semis, the Clippers were tied 2-2 with the Thunder, only to collapse badly in Game 5 and lose the series in six games. The next year, the Clippers were up 3-1 on the Rockets in the West semis before losing three straight games in stunning fashion. In both 2016 and 2017, the Clippers lost first-round series to less experienced opponents—Portland and Utah—with Griffin dropping out early due to season-ending injuries.

“We will all have the regret of not winning it [all], or not even going to the Western finals,” Rivers said. “We had our two chances for sure. The Oklahoma [City] series, I thought, was the beginning of the end when something like that happens. And then the Houston debacle. Both of those were very difficult for us. After that, we had a lot of injuries. We had our shot, we didn’t come through.

“We had a nice run. ... We won [50+] games every year. You have multiple All-Stars. You’re an exciting team to watch. But our goal was to win a title. That’s the only down part of this. We were fun, we were exciting, but we didn’t get it done. All of us didn’t get it done.”

Rivers said that he spoke with Griffin on Monday to inform the five-time All-Star forward of the trade, but that they didn’t engage in any meaningful conversation.

“We talked right afterwards but we didn’t go sit down,” Rivers said. “When you make trades, guys aren’t very happy. It’s tough. I’ve been traded at least twice, maybe three times. When you’re traded and you’re somewhere for a long time, that’s hard. I played for the Hawks for eight years. They called me in, I thought they were giving me an extension and they told me I was traded. That hurts.”

Griffin, who will wear No. 23 for the Pistons after sporting No. 32 for the Clippers, wrote on Instagram that he “needed a night to digest and reflect on what happened” but that he was “so proud to be a part of the success of the Clippers organization.” The former Slam Dunk Contest champion added that he was “forever grateful to the city [of LA] for embracing me.”

The Clippers’ post-Griffin era opens on Tuesday against the Blazers. LA enters the contest with a 25-24 record, sitting a half-game back of the West’s No. 8 seed. While Rivers didn’t rule out any additional trades in advance of the Feb. 8 trade deadline, he insisted that the Clippers weren’t planning for a tank down the stretch and he praised Harris’ ability to create mismatches and Bradley’s on-ball defense. Meanwhile, center DeAndre Jordan and guard Lou Williams have both been mentioned in trade rumors in recent weeks.

“I don’t know [if there will be more moves,” he said. “I don’t think anyone knows. Right now, we’re pretty much done. But that doesn’t mean [that you’re done ‘forever’]. There’s [nine] days left [until the trade deadline]. This team has not changed its goals about the playoffs. That’s our goal.”​

s3ts and Vivi like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

does this mean we won't get to see blake in anymore commercials?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

macho GRANDE likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://m.espn.com/general/cast?id=12426375&src=desktop

s3ts and Vivi like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He could shack up with Steven while hes house hunting.

Blake calls the top bunk.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If he .. . . the general manager. . . . doesn't know . .. . . . Well . . .what exactly his the job of a GM again?

Rocket River

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BTW - The Sam Cassell / Cuttino Mobley Clippers were as good if not better than the Griffin Clippers

Rocket River

Easy and macho GRANDE like this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

He lost his GM duties over the summer. Jerry West and Lawrence Frank run player moves now. Doc was still the GM I believe when the Clippers gave Griffin that huge deal. It was mid summer Doc lost his dual role and is now only the coach of the team.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

OK, I thought West was just a 'consultant'

Rocket River

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

So I have a lot of personal connections to the city of Detroit and I also really liked the Bad Boys teams of the late 80's. As such, I've always considered the Pistons to be the team I root for in the Eastern Conference. But like why even bother? My god that is a terribly ran franchise. I think I'm going to switch over to the Bucks as my Eastern Conference team. What up, @malakas?

s3ts and malakas like this.