1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Au Pair Foreign Nanny/Housekeeper?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Anyone ever used this type of service before? Some people I know are saying it's around $10k a year for a Filipino, they would be a nanny and do housekeeping. That works out to $190 a week. I pay daycare that much for 8-10 hours a day, weekdays only for one kid. Of course we would have to feed and house the nanny but the cost would be minimal.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

How much is one from Norway?

3. Xerobull

Pretty sure it's half.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I'd feel awkward having someone in my house I don't know that lived with us and took care of my kids. Maybe I've seen too many movies...

Xerobull likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Yes it is always a great idea to let a young woman that is a stranger from another country move into your house and take care of your children and have unfettered access to your home while you are away. I cannot think of any possible problems with having a resentful young woman living in your home. None at all........... sounds like a great idea.

I am sure there will be no conflict between your wife and a foreign, young woman in her late teens/early 20's moving into her house and taking care of her children. There will be no jealousy from a stranger that is young, moving into your home and seeing how you have so much more than she does. Especially when she figures out that you only want her to take care of children (that are not hers) and clean the house. A completely healthy arrangement.

Let's not even get into the awkwardness that will exist when you are alone with the au pair. You are not in a vulnerable situation at all. Seems like a really safe and sound idea to me.

Honestly, if you are that worried about it, then you or your wife need to stay home and raise your children.

Jayzers_100, Xerobull and RKREBORN like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

a friend of mine in toronto used to get them from jamaica and barbados. he's orthodox jewish and has 7 kids. so he had like 3-4 nannies staying with him. one of them he found out was stealing from his wifey's closet. another one helped mastermind 2 of his cars being stolen from his garage. and another was so smoking hot that his wifey eventually made her leave. otherwise he says they're great

7. Xerobull

Wow, @Nook...that's some vitriolic advice. Have you actually had experience with this situation?

@pippendagimp That's good to know. Crossing Caribbean off my list.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

oh ya also my secretary at goldman had previously been the au pair for arianna huffington and her gay husband. her name was virginia and she was from virginia. even after she left them to come work at goldman, they liked her being around the kids so much that they used to insist she still travel with them on summer trips to greece during her vacation time. so perhaps consider spending a little more for american :D

Jontro and Xerobull like this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

to be fair, these problems were like a decade ago and since then i think he hasn't had problems. i'll ask him next time we speak

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Xerobull

@pippendagimp - no 'Muricans. Cost, entitled attitude. Part of this is potentially bringing some culture in to the house.

pippendagimp likes this.
  11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Would you *** her too?

Jontro, Nook, Xerobull and 1 other person like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Be real. People want foreign au pairs because you aren't paying them minimum wage.

Nook, Xerobull and dharocks like this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Jontro and Xerobull like this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Your kids will love the nanny more than your wife and you. Real talk. From someone who has a family full of Nannies.

Jontro, Xerobull and Nook like this.
  15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Isn't that illegal?

Xerobull likes this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Au pair is a great idea.

You go to west u or etc and all the lawyers have their children in it. It is a rich person way to save money and in end as you mention total cost of ownership can be way less than daycare.

In my tail chasing days I happened upon an au pair group of girls. They all partied together. The were from germany, czech republic, costa rica, spain etc. They were a wild bunch. They all came through an organization so it was almost like an exchange program.

The cons are you can get a bad apple ( this one from germany had a thing for gangster guys) and there is a transitional element of them going back home, not happy, times up, so continuity is an issue. You need to have a backup plan on speed dial but there is a reason all the rich do it..because they are cheap.

Story time: I went to a huge mansion au pair party. I turned out to be the only guy so it was jackpot city. Things are going well and we get a knock on door that there was a dead cat outside. We go to look and the automatic gate at richie riches house had closed on the cats throat and killed it.

The west u policewoman was crying while I had to put this dead cat in a trash bag. That killed the party vibe too. The owners were out of town and when they came home they immediately sent the girl back to slovenia. Her name was melania. I hear things *kinda* worked out for her in the end though.

Xerobull and jcf like this.
  17. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

i’m sorry but wtf are we talking about here? i’ve employed a french nanny and filipino nanny in recent years. both my employees who were/are paid handsomely

10K/year?!? is this human trafficking?!?

yeah good luck with that. what could possibly go wrong?

Xerobull likes this.
  18. Daddy Long Legs

This is coming from a dude who apparently considers buying helicopters. I don’t think he is as rich as @SirIvyLeague though.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Were they live-in nannies with meals, room and board provided?

Xerobull likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

More like unethical. These poor ladies basically abandon their kids to raise someone else's kids so they can send money back to send them to school. It's the uber capitalism at it's best.

#20 REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Xerobull and deb4rockets like this.