1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give me one good reason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Jan 13, 2018.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give me one good reason Eric Gordon should be taking the most shots from behind the arc every game. Why on earth is he taking over 10 shots a game when he has the 9th ranked 3PT percentage on our team this season? It is driving me crazy to watch him take all the shots game after game, especially when someone else is on fire.

I mean come on, he is only shooting .337 for the season, and the percentages for this year are even worse. The last 6 games he has shot .306 from behind the arc and still, he took 12 shots last night. Why?????????????????? Because he can? Because the coach lets him? Because he won the 3 PT contest last year? Come on, give me one good reason.

Remlap, felixng2012 and elmotsangtt like this.
  2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Because he's a good three point shooter and will find his consistent stroke eventually.

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You could say that about 8 guys shooting better than him all season. That's not a good enough answer.

4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

does it matter where he shoots them from ? we shoot loads of threes, it's our game plan

joeson332 and theimpossibles1 like this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

True story about us shooting loads of threes. No, last night really didn't matter, because it wasn't a close game. But, it does matter at times when the score is close. That is where the more efficient shooters can be the difference makers. I'm thinking ahead now, and this trend of Gordon being the one to take the most 3's isn't the smartest strategy for our team.

6. mockster

mockster Member

The guy that just casually drops 25-30 points on a pretty good basis should stop taking shots?.

It’s like saying harden should take less shots cuz he had a bad night

He will find his consistent stroke, im more then fine Gordon taking those shots, telling him to take less isn’t going to help us in anyway

ElDobleK, robgue, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

his shot selection drives me crazy too...I didn’t say anything last night because it was PHX and we were winning comfortably

Ego is a lowkey chucker to me

these are his 3 point percentages by the month since January of last season

29.9%
    34.3%
    37.6%
    26.7%
    30.2%
    32.7%
    38.5%
    30.6%

When is he going to find this consistent stroke? He’ll have some 5 game stretch where he’s on fire and then follow it up with multiple games going 2-10, 3-11, 4-13, etc.

still, Ego being able to give us around 20 points on a consistent basis is valuable

Vivi and deb4rockets like this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No, that is not what I said at all. What I said was why would one of your least effective 3PT shooters be the one who consistently takes the most shots. Not sometimes, not once in awhile, but consistently. Yes, he will find his stroke. You can say that about the other 8 guys who have consistently shot better for the season.

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Exactly!

10. fattz

fattz Member

Do you really want players thinking about their stats while on the court?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His confidence comes from shooting, maybe we do not want him do that as much but he is the reigning 3 pt contest champ.

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

it doesn't matter if his shots are threes or drives, a shot chart is different now because of how many threes a team takes and it keeps the defence on their toes. A lot of those threes are in transiton and just to get them up while the other teams defence isn't set

13. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I'm not sure why EG settles for so many bad shots. He's proven that he can get to the basket & score pretty much at will. I think he just falls in love with the 3 ball because we shoot so many as a team.

deb4rockets likes this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed, he's taking soo many quick and bad shots that it's easy to explain his low %, could be much better than that since he's a great shooter, the shot selection is just on Jamaal Crawford levels though.

Reeko and deb4rockets like this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yes, I think that too. I'm just worried that it is becoming so much of a habit that it could come to haunt us in games where every point matters, and you need the most effective shooters taking the majority of those 3PT shots. It just doesn't make sense to force shots with other guys wide open to pass to.

1Deep likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm simply making a point about this year. I'm talking about the types of 3's he is taking and missing, and how it is all averaging out. It doesn't make sense to keep doing it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i agree in theory he should go for the drives but drives are more risky and/or more energy taxing

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I understand that, but he doesn't have to do it all. It's just not as effective of a shot selection as we could have.

19. mockster

mockster Member

Based on his history I still have no problem with him taking the 3s. I fully trust Gordon, his shot isn’t where it was last year but he’s obviously a good shooter that needs to beak out of his horrific slump

I think this is what a three point shooting team can do to you though, shooting fatigue?

I still don’t mind his shot selection, usually he can make those shots

ilovehtownbb and Pen15clubber like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i totally agree

deb4rockets likes this.