1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sure, and perhaps another terrible season will allow you to change your mind on O'Brien.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Hmm, and just how much more of "I've got to coach better" are you prepared to swallow come fall?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I want to see if he can continue to build on what he was doing with watson.

People were prepared for more battle fighting. People expecting more out of his press conferences is one of the more interesting psychological experiments out there.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

See above. He deserves to build upon what he started with Watson.

texian likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Best guess says, Watson built Watson.

The general sentiment within the clubhouse is, the players like/respect BoB, and they play hard for him.

Hope it works, because he is our reality.

texian likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough. I understand that point of view.

7. conquistador#11

chuckling at the 2 radio stations with all these coaches being let go they're now saying" this is o'brians show now" which is what they were saying in 2014 when b.o.b was bringing in his own guys.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

And? Apparently Watson is the best QB in the NFL, since he’s able to single-handedly create the best offense in the league without help from coaches, according to this thread. Whichever mystery QB the Texans didn’t get in the last few years that you may have wanted isn’t better than that, which means BOB was right and you’re wrong.

Yes, two guys currently on one year backup deals were not retained long term by the Texans. Instead we’re stuck with Watson.

9. Mr. Clutch

I really wonder who OBrien will blame now

10. texian

texian Member

90% of Houston sports radio makes you dumber. All of those guys were saying "O'Brien giving McNair ultimatum... me or Rick" yada, yada... just making up isht that had nothing to do with the reality that everybody in the organization has been dealing with Rick's family issue since September.

The guys he's letting go were "his" guys too outside of maybe Charles London who quit.

And McNairs are going to sign a GM OVER O'Brien as I understand it, as it should be... the arrangement will be the same. O'Brien isn't and never wanted to be a GM. He'd like to have more time to spend with his family -- but that's mostly on him because he's a relentless workaholic.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Wishing does not make it so and that is the biggest mistake Houston football fans have been making since the 1960s. You can choose to ignore reality in the hope that next time, things will turn out differently but all you are doing is setting yourself for more disappointment. With BoB, I've seen enough to convince me that nothing much is going to change next season with him at the helm. Like yourself, an awful lot of folks are hoping that somehow, BoB + (a healthy) Watson will yield a different result in 2018. Yet, in 2017 with a healthy Watson, BoB managed to go a whopping 3-3. SB Nation today posted an article on who made the biggest coaching mistakes in 2017 and guess who showed up for 2 of the biggest? Yep, the old QB whisperer himself:

Week 3: Bill O’Brien counts out Touchdown Tom
    Remember Deshaun Watson? That already feels like a dream. Back when he was alive, he had the New England Patriots on the ropes in Foxborough, putting the Houston Texans in position for a stunning road upset.

Then O’Brien put the offense in a shell, and we know what happened next. Instead of going for the kill, the Texans kicked a short field goal, setting up Brady for a ho-hum comeback win. Surely O’Brien learned from this mistake and won’t waste another amazing Watson performance on the road ...

Week 8: Bill O’Brien counts out Touchdown Russell
    ... oh, he did it again.

Stop me if you heard this one — Watson had an outstanding game, gave the Texans a chance to win, and O’Brien’s offense turtled up instead. A conservative final drive didn’t take enough time off the clock, and Russell Wilson hit a game-winning touchdown for the Seattle Seahawks. It’s like poetry; it rhymes.

Listen, when a guy stands up there game after F'ing game and tells me that he basically doesn't know WTF he's doing (I've got to coach better), I'm inclined to believe that he doesn't know WTF he's doing. Not only that, it'll take a hell of a lot more than a new GM and new coaches to get me to believe that the cluster**** that is the Houston Texas can ever be successful with this bozo on the sidelines. Unlike yourself, I don't care about press conferences, I care about results and the numbers tell me that he's a 4-12 coach.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have no idea what this means... but if you're implying that Houston football is not worth caring about thanks to decades of futility, why are you even here?

Also, I'm glad Watson had such an effect on you that you had full-well expectations for them to beat both New England and Seattle on the road, with a true rookie QB.

And yes... I was disappointed in how those games turned out. They were winnable. They were also winnable because of how well the offense played... playing at a historic level that hadn't been seen in Texans franchise history.

So, if wanting to see if they can build on that... perhaps even get better to where those games (which featured some of the worst defense in Texans history) are put away with an elite offense... is considered "wishing"... sure.

The worst thing that can happen next year is a Watson regression or he simply starts to lose his effectiveness. Having him learn a new system or get on board with a new set of personalities is a very likely way to make that happen... but again, glad they were able to create such an extreme level of expectations for you.

TheFreak likes this.
  13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

No dude, dont you see. Obrien was only involved in bringing in Hoyer, mallett, and Osweiller.. Watson was all Rick Smith. Duh..:rolleyes:

raining threes likes this.
  14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

2 mistakes, that I am sure no other teams(coaches) did this year or ever. One against Tom EFFING Brady, and yet nothing about how he had the team in position to win and the DEFENSE messed it up. I mean we were up by 5 with a minute to go and were kicking the ball off. Can you imagine if BOB had us go for it on 3rd and 1 and we DIDNT GET IT. Then Brady went down and got to field goal position. Jesus take off the hindsight glasses and quit being so biased. You act like there was only one way that could have gone.

raining threes and TheFreak like this.
  15. texian

texian Member

I'm still standing by this unless I see a 5 year contract for a GM and a 5 year extension for O'Brien, both with fat buyouts.

I think McNairs weren't ready to empty the building, asked O'Brien to stick around. If Rick's situation wasn't so fluid I think they go with his (and O'Brien's) plan to move on from O'Brien immediately and let Jimmy Raye hold Rick's place for an offseason. But Rick is returning... he was very specific about that. "My tenure is not over."

So looks to me we're getting a very McNairish compromise -- one that only kicks the can down the road. And a GM who is used to letting the owners make decisions on football players... Brian Gaine. (I still don't know why he'd come here again.)

O'Brien can go to TEN in 2018/19 or at worst NYJ. There will be be 8 more openings, per usual.

We will see...

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Jim Caldwell was fired yesterday by the Lions.

His 4 years record with the Lions :
    11-5
    7-9
    9-7
    9-7

With 2 playoff appearances and 2 first round exist.

Texans record in the last 4 years under Bill Obrien :
    9-7
    9-7
    9-7
    4-12
    With 2 playoff appearances and 1 wild card win in 2 tries.

Houstunna and Fulgore like this.
  17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Based on the current situation and the past record of this ownership, the chance of firing BOB at this point is very slim.

However, IF, and I mean IF, the Texans will be able to find a well established GM, I do believe that there is a chance that the new GM will force the owner to clean the slate for him and let go of BOB.

No GM will want to work with a lame duck coach, and also no GM will want to hand a new 3-4 years contract extension to BOB under this current situation.

But, if this ownership will just like to bring in another "YES MAN", and even let BOB to take more controls, well then,

lets hope the Astros will have couple more great seasons.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Good summary.

My guess is they bring yes man Gaine.

But I'll be hoping they find a real GM who brings in his own HC.

19. texian

texian Member

Jim Caldwell is a good coach.

He's an overseer HC vs a coordinator HC and teams now seem to prefer the latter, but I like Jim Caldwell.

Given the opportunity, Quinn would be sitting across from O'Brien right now.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's crazy that we seemingly have BOB's minister of propaganda in this thread. Giving BOB a 5 year extension after essentially nothing but failure from him is the type of move that makes a franchise a laughing stock. I keep seeing threats about BOB going to the Colts or Titans from his CF minister of propaganda....but given that he's not a good coach, that's not a good threat. If I could trade BOB to the Colts or Titans right now for a 5th or 6th round pick I'd do it in a heartbeat and it would be a steal.