1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Why does MDA refuse to play the bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t s p n, May 9, 2017.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

MDA reminds me of Bum Phillips with Earl Campbell. Loved the Oilers BUT we ALL know how that turned out.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you should pm morey

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. ballgame

ballgame Member

LOL! It'll probably making him 5 times as smart! Since, he's never beat Pop in the Playoffs.....I say we start a petition

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they werent playing 1 vs 1 mind you

would like to see pop winning 5 championships coaching sacramento kings and having no superstars

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

why can't MDA do interviews like him? that's a better question

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The end of the bench has been so bad...

He puts them in with 2 minutes to go and they let a 22 point lead drop to 12. Imagine if he put them in with 6 minutes to go like some cats want.

That said:
    Harden is at 36 minutes and Ariza is at 35.
    Paul is at 31
    Gordon is at 31 but will probably dip under soon enough
    Rest of the team is under 30

So what are we talking about here? Shaving 1 minute off harden's average maybe? He's already shaved 1 minute from last year and 3 minutes from two years ago.

The difference between "D'Antoni abuse victim" Harden and "Rest Gawd Popopvich protege" Aldrige or Kawhi from last year is 2 minutes.

If D'Antoni rested Harden like Pop rested Kawhi he would have shaved 20 minutes thus far this season. Out of 1000 minutes played. So less than 1 percent.

Is that what we are talking about?

Harden gets suspended for taking a poop on the Knicks later this year and boom, it's like he rested the same amount as Kawhi.

D'Antoni has completely changed practice habits for this team so they don't practice as many minutes, get more rest, etc. That is much more impactful than Harden coming out 51 second sooner.

D-rock likes this.
  7. photojoe

photojoe Member

I would like for him to regrow his moustache

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's sad when the more a team wins, the more trash seems to develop.

maybe all these bandwagon fans that want to pop up now

9. ballgame

ballgame Member

I love the Rockets, hate the Spurs but it is, what it is. Pop is smarter than MDA and I think one of the things Pop does well is develop YOUNG PLAYERS! The GSW are doing the same thing....it pays off in June!

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I would say it's too early in the season to worry abt minutes, but if we want the end of our bench to contribute late in the season when it's more useful to rest players, we need them to be ready, ie they need to play more now. Perfect time to play them, we are high in the standings, at home, Harden is injured. No better time than now to steal a few minutes from Harden.

11. ballgame

ballgame Member

Hold on LOLO! I've been a Rocket's fan since the days of Slick Wyatts, World B Free, Billy Paultz and the days of playing in Jones Hall, Hofheniz Pavillion. I'm A TRUE LONGTIME FAN....To me it makes sense for a coach to develop young players. Injuries happen, players get tired, etc.

12. bongman

bongman Member

answer my question first. when is a good time to decide that a game is out of reach?

13. ballgame

ballgame Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.........I forgot to mention Harden has been injured but he's still playing on a bad leg. Pop would have rested him BUT not MDA.

14. ballgame

ballgame Member

Gladly! During the Spurs game, we were up by 17- 20 points with 5+ minutes left and he had ALL of the starters in, with another game the next day.

I think the 5+ minute point is a good mark to begin subbing. Don't take out all of your starters but Harden and Paul would've been off the court. But he had all of the starters in until the 2+ minute mark.

He did the same thing during the Pre-Season, against the Knicks......dude does not have a limit

15. bongman

bongman Member

Taking note that any team can make 3- 3 ptrs in one minute, highly mathematically possible that we can go for 5 minutes where we don't score and spurs score 27 pts. Without the help of hindsight, how does somebody tell if the lead is big enough?

Even if took the Rockets the whole 24 secs per possession during the last 5 minutes, that still leaves the opponent about 6-7 possessions for the game.

#295 bongman, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  16. Granville

Granville Member

I heard as soon as benchwarmers can up their 3 point percentage from Baytown, Sugarland and The Woodlands they will be tomballing enough to get steady playing time.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If we win the championship . .. . people will come back to this thread to say . . . THIS IS WHY WE DIDN'T WIN MULTIPLE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Rocket RIver

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Get better bench first, maybe then we can gripe about their lack of playing time.

Everyone whines about Dowtown Bobby Brown being offensive black hole and scrub on D but MDA plays him more than CZ favorite Troy Williams. There is a reason why.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

What's with this infuriating trend of people putting cryptic and/or misleading half-topics as the subject line of a thread? It's like clickbait, daring you to check it out just to know what the f$%king thread is about. :rolleyes:

Topic: "Harden says he HATES Houston..."

1st post: "...'s traffic. Discuss."

napalm06 and houstonstime like this.
  20. bongman

bongman Member

Something to ponder..

How often does any NBA coach take out their superstar players when leading by 10 with 2 minutes left and opponent's possession? If that is not common practice, what is being suggested is that the game is out of reach if leading by 10 with 2.5 mins lefts against a "5 time NBA Championship coach".