1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Apple September Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I believe that as long as you’d paid 12 installments you can upgrade. If you haven’t than you should be able to pay the difference and do it.

Deckard likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks! Then it's worth looking into. :)

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I played with the X at the Apple store. FaceID makes me feel uneasy. The loss of the home button is a bit unintuitive. Everything else is pretty nice.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish big data (Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, MSFT, and hundreds of smaller companies) would allow us to store what information we want and delete it when we ask instead of collecting everything behind vague privacy policies and store it indefinitely.

This is the biggest drawback of smart phones and the state of technology in 2017. I want to enjoy modern technologies while not worrying about all my data spilling out into the public. Privacy is important.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Heads up to anyone looking to get a new phone. Att is having a BOGO promotion. If you get an X you get the 8 for free. Perfect for the Mrs. and I.

6. HR Dept

It takes awhile to get used to, and by awhile I mean a few hours, but the X’s swipe based navigation is extremely intuitive. Much smoother and faster than with the home button.

I used my wife’s 6+ this morning and the first thing that I did was swipe up to unlock. Amazing how quickly your muscle memory can adapt.

7. MystikArkitect

I caught on to it with zero problems. I did the same thing with my wife’s 7.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Any links for this deal? Is it in-store only?

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Didn’t see it online. Did it in store.

10. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

so i went ahead and purchased an iPhone X this morning and picking up on monday. with the pixel line last year and again this year, google created the perfect and also the most boring android phone that "just works". figured if i'm no longer rooting my boring phone, i may as well switch to another boring phone with an arguably better ecosystem.

have used an iphone for very short stints in the past, but have forgotten some things... so... questions from a long time android user:

1. will i need to make a call my carrier (at&t) to let them know to program the sim accordingly?

2. honestly how long did it take you to get over the fact that you no longer have a back button when coming from android?

3. the "files" app... same functionality as any "file manager app on android?

4. still not able to set default apps? google chrome, google maps? links in emails and imessage still open apple maps and safari?

5. have heard that the facial recognition has gotten slower over time with the X. anyone with the X chime in on this?

not concerned with the notch as the essential phone had a similar one and you don't notice after several hours.

RedRedemption likes this.
  11. HR Dept

1. With Verizon, once I turned it on and followed the setup it deactivated my old phone and activated the 10.

2. Took me a few hours to become somewhat familiar with it. After a couple of days it was like the home button never existed.

3. Files app gives you easy access to iCloud, Google Drive, Drop Box, etc. I don’t think the files are actually stored on your phone. I could be wrong about this though.

4. Again, I could be wrong. But links from the Mail and iMessage apps will open Safari by default. And that isn’t optional. You can get around part of this by using the Gmail App for email and having it default to opening Chrome.

5. I haven’t noticed FaceID slowing down for me. You just pick up your phone, swipe up, and you’re in. No need to wait for the unlock animation to finish. The phone is actually unlocked before the animation completes.

And as you said, the notch is a none issue.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

thx, hr. sounds like the files app will useful.

looking forward to trying it out. navigation around the X seems to be the closest thing to webOS from back in the day.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm looking to get an 8 or an x as a gift. Impressions or thoughts thus far on either? Do you regret getting/not getting one ?

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Anyone used the iPhone X and any Galaxy device since they moved to QHD AMOLED panels?

How do the two displays compare?

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I need a new iPhone and am willing to switch providers.

What is he best deal in terms of cost, value and quality of service?

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone have a 12inch MacBook?

17. Bob Barker 007

If you are willing to switch providers, I would wait for more of them to offer a trade-in deal for old iPhones. The only carrier doing a deal right now is Sprint. I'm waiting for T Mobile or Verizon to offer a deal before I buy the iPhone X. It will help cut down on the cost of the new phone.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sure how much I'd get for my old phone, to be honest. It functions... but is pretty jacked up. Hence the need to buy new and ability to switch.

I suspect I'll get a better "offer" from switching than from trade-in.

Plus you can trade in elsewhere (granted you're probably right, not the same exact offer...)

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I got $250 for a 6s plus 128gb at the Apple Store. It has a chip in the edge of the screen. Im on ATT. I got an X 256gb.

If you want to trade-in an iPhone, go to the Apple store.

mrm32 likes this.
  20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Thanks for the heads up. My wife traded hers in at ATT and got $200 which is not bad at all. I still have my old 6S so I may just take it to the Apple store and pay off what I owe on it and still have some left over.

Do they give you a gift card when you trade it in?