1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul's impact on Ryno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mightybosstone, Dec 8, 2017.

1. mightybosstone

So I know this has been a conversation in game threads over the last couple of weeks, but with last night's huge performance from Anderson, I think it's worth examining Paul's impact on Ryno since he came back from injury.

I did the math this morning (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this). In the six games Ryno has played since Paul came back (not including the Denver game Anderson missed or the Lakers game where he was banged up), Ryno is averaging 18.2 points on 59.7 percent shooting from the floor and a ridiculous 59.1 percent shooting from the 3-point line. And, shockingly, three of those games were at home! He's scored at least 17 points four times, which he had only done three times prior to this stretch, and has yet to score fewer than 13.

Obviously this pace can't continue. Ryno will inevitably come down to earth a little bit, but the offense is just clearly so much better with him on the floor right now, and if he could even average just 15 PPG on .450/.400/.800 shooting percentages, that would be an incredible season for him and maybe even finally justify that contract we've all been pretty peeved about.

What are you guys seeing in Ryno's game since Paul has come into the fold? Is Ryno just randomly making more shots, or is there something that CP3 is doing that is having a legitimate impact on Anderson's game? And, more importantly, do we think this is something that could be mostly sustainable moving forward?

felixng2012 likes this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Ryno goring errbody since Paul came back

5. IBTL

IBTL Member

Cp3 is a hof player and is proving that

Pen15clubber likes this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

Its funny.Is this the same guy NOBODY wanted in the offseason? Seems to me Ryan Anderson had us all fooled. I believe he's actually fulfilling his contract at this momment

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He is outperforming his contract at the moment.

His defense has actually been above average thus far and his shooting at home has improved.

hakeemthagreat likes this.
  8. carlos

carlos Member

He made an effort in the off season to lose weight to improve his defense. I think he is trying to live up to the contract which is a good thing, many players tank once they get the $$$$

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This is the Ryan Morey thought we were getting.

I wouldn't even trade Ryan for Melo straight up right now.

arabrocket likes this.
  10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i agree. he's worth every penny of that 20 million a year. paul puts those passes right on the money. his defense is serviceable, his play in the paint is serviceable, and without him, we're not nearly as good. he's playing at a border-line all-star player with paul, so basically we've got five players who are either above, or around the all-star level: Harden, Paul, Gordon, Capella, and anderson.

csj likes this.
  11. Normalus

Normalus Member

According to analytics tho - defense hurts, although they are 4th best 2-man rotation offensively on this team (Ariza & Black ftw!).
    [​IMG]

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden-Paul has the lowest net rating. They obviously don't fit well together. And MDA is too dumb to not play Ariza-Black more. ;)

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

I think Ryno will probably regress to a 14-15 ppg player with a 45% 3 point shooting.. but Ego will also progress to a 14-17 ppg with a 36-39% shooting.. so those two variables will end up giving us a net positive..

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Normalus

Normalus Member

Not lowest, there was more, but yeah, they are quite low.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is Harden's team, but CP3 is better at setting up perimeter shooters like Ryno. He won't continue at the current clip but his 3-point percentage will remain higher than last year.

On the other hand, EG is still adapting to CP3. It's a bit worrisome but I'm sure they will figure it out.

For that matter, Harden and CP3 are still adapting to each other and will improve as the season progresses.

16. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

Can someone explain why Harden/Paul combo has a bad defensive rating?

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He's more aggressive: he used to get a lot of open shot with harden but would hesitate to shoot them. Like he only shot when he was really wide open before Paul arrived and now he shoots them if there a glimmer of daylight .

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

If only someone could remind Gordon how he used to shoot, this team would be nearly unbeatable. Possibly even the favorites (at least in my head) against Golden State.

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

His swag is just unleveled right now

20. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

That +6 is a huge improvement over the +2 they were about a week ago