1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.2%
  2. Passing Fad

64.8%
  1. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

That feeling when you open your Coinbase app for the first time in months and you’re greeted by a surprise balance!

I bought $200 of Bitcoin to transfer to a friend who maxed out his weekly purchases on Coinbase a few months back. We both forgot all about it.

Needless to say, it ain’t just $200 no more!

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Yes, I am aware of the many problems Ethereum has had in the past. Ethereum is not meant to be a currency, obviously. I wouldn't even call Ethereum in an alpha stage at this point. What I like about Ethereum is its trying to address obvious problems that can be found in Bitcoin instead of kicking the proverbial can down the road.

Nevermind the stabilization problems currently found in cryptocurrencies. One of my biggest concerns is the consolidation of wealth and power found in Bitcoin. This was not the intention of Bitcoin initially. Massive ASIC farms was not the intention. Then there is the absurd amount of power required to maintain the Bitcoin chain. We are already seeing massive amounts of manipulation in the crypto-market and there is no legal means to prevent it.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

So do any of you pay capital gains or any other taxes on your earnings?

RedRedemption likes this.
  4. jbasket

jbasket Member

Not yet, but I will when I cash out. May honestly talk to a cpa or a tax accountant.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

ditched some of my BCash for IOTA. Intrigued by the Tangle.

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

Checked the chart? Cautioning a fomo buy.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

nope. the surge wouldn't come until a year from now when Microsoft and Samsung release their work with it. I'm more concerned with the coordinator not being open source. Hopefully they kill it soon.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Then you need to buy a vacuum sealer to go with that Anova. :D

HR Dept likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just remembered why I never opened a Bittrex account a while back. Their TOS is so bewildering : https://bittrex.com/Home/Terms
    Especially this part :

2.1 Eligibility. Bittrex may not make all of the Services available in all markets and jurisdictions, and may restrict or prohibit use of all or a portion of the Services from certain states, territories, or jurisdictions (“Restricted Locations”). At this time, Restricted Locations include, but are not limited to, several U.S. states: AK, AR, CA, CT, FL, HI, ID, IA, KS, KT, LA, MD, MI, MS, NC, ND, NE, NH, NV, OH, OK, PA, SD, TX, VT, VA, WA, WY, and PR. The Services are intended solely for users who are 18 or older. You represent and warrant that you: (a) are of legal age to form a binding contract (at least 18 years old in the U.S.); (b) have not previously been suspended or removed from using our Services; (c) have full power and authority to enter into this agreement and in doing so will not violate any other agreement to which you are a party; (d) are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of (i) any Restricted Locations, or (ii) any country to which the United States has embargoed goods or services; (e) are not identified as a “Specially Designated National” by the Office of Foreign Assets Control; (f) are not placed on the U.S. Commerce Department’s Denied Persons List; and (g) will not use our Services if any applicable laws in your country prohibit you from doing so in accordance with these Terms.

Apparently most of the US is "restricted" from trading with them whatever that means. :D And we have a state with the abbreviation "KT". Which one is that? lol. After some further digging around, I noticed someone emailed them about it and the response was that it was "outdated" and those state restrictions apparently no longer exist. So odd.

10. sammy

sammy Member

A friend of me asked me this when I told him that I’ve heard that bitcoin should keep trending up in the LT.

“tell me why though...is it going to rise because of speculation or some type of underlying monetary value? dont just tell me "because its going to go higher" - that is not an argument. there is no correlation between Amazon/Google vs bitcoin. those provide a service vs bitcoin being a currency that sits on a type of new exchange. its not the same thing...”

He’s salty that he’s missed out but I wasn’t sure how to correctly answer this. You can read two articles that say the opposite from one another

#1630 sammy, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's an extremely biased view in my opinion, you're claiming to see a bitcoin downfall because of certain issues (which can be addressed later) but claim that Ethereum is better and in an "alpha stage", which is simply not true as the tech/source code is inherently flawed from the ground up, even Vitalik himself admitted he right now doesn't have a solution to certain problems with Ethererum.

You talk about bitcoin "kicking the can down the road", but that is literally what Vitalik is doing right now. It's absurd to talk down a functioning bitcoin and praise a tech (Ethereum) that is in its current state 100% unable to deliver what it promised and has severe issues in a manner that btc never had.

Eth "trying to address" problems in bitcoin has zero merit when the tech itself isn't working, you're praising Ethereum for something that you wish it would be, not for what it actually is.

RedRedemption likes this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Only have to when you cash out.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Mentioned this a month ago, price has multiplied by more than 5 since. :)
    Much better technology than Ethereum (the former ETH CEO jumped ship for a reason).
    Posting a video here, @Space Ghost you should watch. Vitalik himself can't address severe issues with ETH, many of these are solved by other platforms.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Is this because of the IRS considering bitcoins property since it's not a recognized currency? I can't imagine the IRS not making a move in the future that leaves a lot of new millionaires scrambling for money to pay massive tax bills.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Currently yes. Not sure about US law and whether this decision can be reversed in the future.
    But notice that you have to tax trades where you trade btc for other cryptos and vice versa.

Here in Germany, it's even better and you don't have to pay taxes if you sell more than a year after buying the crypto.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Ill take some time and check it out. Personally I do not think the winners have been born yet nor do I think the winners will be the best solution. I try to differentiate between the tech and whats being hyped at the moment. I like the golem project and MIOTA but I dont think they are going to yield the results Bitcoin will.

I believe Bitcoin will be around for a long time to come and i will continue to rise, but a lot of people will lose money when they are investing in the pumps. I jumped in during the May/June pump and I am just now making significant gains.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Seeing how much time was spent between 9-10k, it could likely be that most sell-offs have already happened and this will still go stronger. Probably a buy atm.

18. Commodore

Commodore Member

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Never thought Katy Perry would help our case, but won't complain. :D

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Above 11k now, crazy.