1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Beltran announces retirement

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 13, 2017.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

His $15M is offset by Verlander's $20M.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've still got mixed feelings about Beltran. He certainly isn't the player or person he was the first time he was here. He isn't the great athlete with power and speed he is much much more mature and a better person. I'm glad Biggio had a good influence on his life but I can't help feeling that if he felt that grateful to Biggio, Bagwell and those other Astros of 13 years ago we might not have waited so long to get our first World Series. Instead Beltran went for the money and bright lights of NY instead of staying here and building on what he started with his mentor.

All that said I'm glad he was here this past year and the difference he made on what is still a young team. One great things about sports is how important it is to hand down knowledge from one generation to the next and it's been great to see Beltran embrace that.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a good post and all is forgiven, at least for me, since he was so instrumental in helping us win this championship. Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure he wonders the same thing about whether or not he should've stayed in Houston. But what 20-something year old man wouldn't be easily persuaded by millions of dollars and bright lights in one of the biggest cities in the world? We all make dumb, rash decisions in our 20s. As you said, he sounds a lot wiser now.

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

It wasn't about the difference in money at all. The Astros wouldn't give him a no trade clause and he felt disrespected by that.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Great career first ballot HOFer.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I doubt it. As great a career as he's had, his numbers aren't excessively impressive. Never really in contention for an MVP (finishing 4th in 2005 & 9th in 2002). Didn't hit any major milestone. Only one 8 WAR season. I see him as a HOFer, but think it will take a few ballots to get him there. Of course he won't face the same overcrowded ballots recent years have dealt with.

7. payaso

payaso Member

Hey, I don't really wanna ruin the moment for a good guy, but the 'grizzled vet' slot has opened up once more. Jayson Werth is available. Thoughts?

8. Buck Turgidson

I hated him then.

After this year, I can't hate him anymore.

Buena suerte

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Which team will Beltran represent in the HOF -- Royals or Astros?

Those two are the only candidates IMO.

10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Over 1500 rbi
    Over 1000 xbh
    Over 300 steals

That alone is excessively impressive. Especially impressive when you consider all the time missed with injury.

No MVP season but several, especially 2006, were mvp worthy.

3 gold gloves in center field

His playoff numbers are incredible. 16 home runs!

He was the best CF in baseball for about 10 years. Played most of his career in pitchers parks. Career numbers are easily good enough to get in first ballot.

11. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Had more fun cheering for Beltran this season than I did booing him for all those years

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Assistant to the traveling secretary.

[​IMG]

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It's amazing how much of an impact he has had on this city, both negative and positive, and he wasn't even here two full seasons. Certainly this year has endeared him to Astros fans for life now, and it had almost nothing to do with his bat.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Going into this season, his career lacked one thing. A Ring. Got one. Perfect ending.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Give him a year or so, if his wife lets him he'll be coaching somewhere if he wants to.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's not his choice; the HoF makes the determination, and there's 0.0 chance it'll be the Astros. In fact, the Cardinals would probably rank ahead of the Astros, given that was his only "meaningful" World Series appearance.

He spent seven years with both the Royals & Mets and his best years were clearly in New York. They're the odds-on favorite.

17. Poloshirtbandit

Mets.

18. Buck Turgidson

Thank you Wade Boggs.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Eh... Jim Edmonds was a better CF and he fell off the ballot after one year. Andruw Jones joins the ballot this year; his stay will likely be short and while I don't know if he was better, he wasn't too far behind.

Beltran, I think, will have a bit of a perception issue - I think he'll be viewed as a gun-for-hire who bounced around a lot and was never the best player in baseball at any point in his career, other than his 2004 postseason. No significant statistical milestones; no signature moments...

20. Buck Turgidson

Look at Berkman v Beltran v Mantle, as far as switch hitters go.