1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No doubt that he sucked in the postseason, but unlike the NBA, the regular season actually does matter in baseball. A postseason appearance isn't guaranteed to anybody. He was a great player in the regular season, and you don't go giving away good players when you are trying to win.

In regards to Tucker there are 3 spots in the outfield, and the DH, Reddick isn't stopping him.

3. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I would not do much. We have some talent coming up and need to save money for the guys we want to keep around. Need to also really pay attention to what Forrest Whitley's is doing. He averaged 13.98 K/9 last season and went from A to AA ball at only 20. Might see both Tucker and Whitley up midyear.

Before the season I would see if you can move McCullers to the bullpen, and sign a LRP.

1B Yuli
    2nd Altuve
    SS Correa
    3B Bregman
    C McCann/Gattis
    LF Fisher/Tucker/Gonzalez
    C Springer
    RF Reddick

SP:
    Verlander
    Keuchel
    Morton
    McHugh
    Peacock/F. Whitley

RP:
    McCullers
    Giles
    Devo
    Musgrove
    Harris
    Gregerson
    Martes
    FA LRP

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He has kind of become a lost man because of his overall struggles, but I really hope they are able to carve out some regular role for Feliz.

He had a 2.10 ERA on June 5th, from that point forward he had an almost inconceivable .500 BABIP against him. Dude struck out 13 per 9.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking there is a decent chance McHugh is traded and doubt Gregerson is back. I expect Astros want the 6th starter to have options.

9. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

That's not bad. I think I'd flip McCullers and Peacock. I'd also keep Martes at AAA and keep him as a starter. Try to get a couple more relievers and let's rock and roll.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And I think they COULD kick the tires on interest surrounding Giles. Not easy to bounce back when you've lost the team's confidence is such a high-profile manner. Plus, he's young enough, with enough potential, to land a decent prospect or two.

I think the most interesting developments will be their plans for McCullers & Morton. Since he was DRAFTED, there's been talk that McCullers was better suited for the back of the bullpen. I don't know all the mental gymnastics, and such - but if he COULD develop into a closer, and Morton could be developed into an Andrew Miller-like weapon... you've solved your bullpen issues internally.

A bullpen of McCullers, Harris, Devo, Morton, Musgrove, possibly Martes, Feliz........ well, that's potentially filthy.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

On jimmy fallon

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Also, I think there's a decent possibility they'll more actively employ pitching tandems, too. So I think they'll bring McHugh back - unless he becomes a cost-cutting move, which is possible. I don;t have his $$$ in front of me. Regardless, they'll need six starters.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

this is so great. so happy for tuve to get some national shine.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

#114 J.R., Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Wow, didn't see that coming.

16. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

They'll almost certainly get a LH reliever. Mike Minor may fit that bill. Just declined his mutual 10 million option with the Royals. Former top 10 draft pick/ starter who was set back due to injuries. Was elite last year in his first bullpen role. Can potentially fill an Andrew-Miller-type role or close. At the very least he could be loogy as he absolutely shut down lefties last year.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/mike-minor-to-decline-mutual-option.html

#116 DoitDickau, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    IowaAstro likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

That's why Luhnow earns the big bucks.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros will very likely tandem in the postseason. It would not completely surprise me if the Astros do some temporary tandem starts during the season, though I think this is still a couple years away before some team trying it for a back of the rotation spot. LMJ, Peacock, and Morton are likely regular season starters, but will be used as relievers in postseason as necessary.

The Astros do need a 6th starter. I'm thinking this guy will have options so the Astros can bounce him up and down between AAA so he doesn't use a roster spot all the time. I'm thinking this guy is Martes. If he fails, it is Paulino. If he fails, it is Rodgers. If he fails, it is Armenteros. If he fails, they bite the bullet by either calling up Whitley or trading for someone better than McHugh at the deadline. Heck, they'll probably do that last one whether or not anyone else steps up.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He batted 2nd for most of the season, prolly why he had a good season. Otherwise his bat has been average throughout his career and now it looks like Bregman will take the 2nd spot onward. He does have a great glove, but between Marisnick, Gonzalez, Fisher and soon Tucker, I think any of those can replace Reddick's glove adequately.

20. Buck Turgidson

He started 60 games hitting 2nd, 61 hitting not-2nd. His BA & OBP were significantly higher hitting not-2nd, SLG was significantly higher hitting 2nd.

seeingred likes this.