1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. conquistador#11

[​IMG]

Pen15clubber likes this.
  2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Meaning fans, not the team (well the team might be too). I’m going to Dallas this weekend and gonna do the Vince McMahon strut everywhere I go.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We probably won’t spend big in free agency given we added Verlander.

Still, this is a World Series team... with the core of the offense still entering its prime.

We’ve got more upside from the young guys — I like a full season of bullpen Musgrove. It’ll be interesting to watch if Fisher or Moran can start to contribute on offense. I don’t know if Marwin can replicate, but Bregman is going to put up a big season.

The rotation will be interesting to watch - Verlander, Keuchel, McHugh, McCullers, and Morton is probably your 5. I’d love to use Peacock as a multi inning weapon, and then have Paulino and Martes in reserve.

It’ll be interesting if we can get anything for Fiers - the guy did lead the World Series champs in innings pitched. I could imagine him being traded for a AAAA type who still has options left and can kept in the minors unless needed for fill in starts.

mikol13 likes this.
  4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

It's crazy to see how far we've come. After hearing Altuve talk about everyone clearing their head for the next offseason, I have no doubt in my mind we can repeat. He's a HOF type of talent that we shouldn't take for granted. But we must make more moves...

Needs

Bullpen - Get a Wade Davis, re-ignite trade talks for Britton, look at other options to shore up the pen. Get a Tony Watson. There are ways to get the closer we need and it's time to get it right this time. Move Giles to 7th Inning where the game isn't on him. He will excel.

DH - Replacement for Beltran if and when he leaves. I do expect the Astros to use the 16 million for arbitration purposes and save cap there but we need to bring in another Vet who can help solidify the role with Gattis. Beltran was way too inconsistent.

SP - Cause why not... Add another ace if the price fits.

Upcoming draft is CRUCIAL to sustaining the Astros for the next 5-10 years and I think we can make power moves and repeat.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The Devo strut works just as well. Chin up. All the way up.

craigharmann likes this.
  6. htownbball

htownbball Member

Trade Giles for Brad Hand. Move Devo to Closer spot and tell him to throw his slider every once in a while (it's a decent pitch!). Peacock comes in as the stopper and Musgrove takes over as the multiple inning guy. Hopefully Feliz can get back into form, he has dominating stuff when he's on. Sipp has one more year on his contract. Martes goes back to AAA to work on being a starter.

RP- Musgrove
    RP- Peacock
    RP- Harris
    RP- Feliz
    LHP - Sipp
    LHP- Hand
    CL- Devo

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wade Davis and Logan Morrison
    Get it done Lunhow.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And chew your gum effectively. Body language and gum chewing matter.

donkeypunch likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

First thing is first...who is doing the talk shows? Tonight Show? Conan? Kimmel?

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm incredibly curious how Colin Moran comes back from that injury. In the short time he was with the team he looked like he really turned the corner on being an every day player for this team and having some legit power. It's a good problem to have where you play Yuli, Marwin, FIsher, and Moran. Then also you still have Marisnick. Lots of options there with Yuli right handed, Marwin switch hitter, and both Fisher and Moran lefthanded. They can cover all the corner spots and left field at minimum with Marisnick covering any outfield spot. Really great set up there barring injuries.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If they could find a first baseman, Yuli could DH. Curious to see what they do with the outfield. They could use another starter quality guy. It will be interesting to follow how they deal with Kyle Tucker if he continues to produce in the minors.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm not on the Zach Britton train anymore because he is a free agent after next year. Would you gamble trading for him and giving him 14-16 million a season on a long term contract after his injuries last year? I would rather try and get Wade Davis since he has proven he is back after his injuries and won't cost us prospects.

If we can't get a closer I would consider moving Morton to that role. It is easier to get a setup guy than a closer.

Rotation:

Verlander
    Keuchel
    McCullers
    Peacock
    McHugh

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

So glad to have a meaningful official thread rather than one started by a clown. Ya'll know the clown I'm talking about.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We should see Kyle Tucker by mid season.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

Most interested to see how McCullers responds to the playoffs next year, as he’s clearly elite at times, and crazy wild at others, 4 hbp and 3 straight walks, but talented enough to not give up any runs. Will he calm due to having gone through the storm, or will he always be looking into the dugout for Hinchs approval. It’s why I would go get another elite starter, to save the bullpen, and have insurance in the rotation.

Second, bull pen.

Sign as many as possible and see if we can repeat. Don’t break anything not particulairly broken. We did win this thing.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I love love love Marwin, but I think we have to prepare for a down year from him. He was extremely lucky to put up the numbers he did this based on his batted ball profile and is not likely to repeat it. Another mashing outfielder would be huge for this team (could happen internally with Fisher and Tucker) and have Marwin in his normal utility role would be ideal. Giancarlo? (half-joking).

Red Chocolate likes this.
  17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

We are stacked at SP. health permitting lol

18. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Morton? isnt he signed or one more year?

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is that Astros try to get by with an OF of Springer, Reddick, Marisnick, Fisher, and Gonzalez until/if Tucker is ready. I think Davis or Moran (or someone else like them) also make the team.

Any money Astros spend will likely be on LHPs or high leverage relief.

jim1961 likes this.
  20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Which Astros is going to be on the cover of the Show '18?

I'm going to guess Altuve, but Springer or Correa could be the choice too.