1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Gurriel caught being racist to Yu Darvish

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheRealist137, Oct 27, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No need to tie yourself into a pretzel trying to defend or lessen this... Yuli was wrong, and reflected poorly on himself, his family, his team, and the city of Houston. He needs to apologize (and not the weak "if he was offended" one floated out by the translator), and hopefully a fine is the only outcome (MLB has suspended players for offensive comments towards fans). Kudos to Yarnish for taking the high road... something Yuli can learn and grow from.

2. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

SJW's going hard af on this one. Get the F over yourselves... what a joke y'all are.

mario_v and fiersdownbelow like this.
  3. likestohypeguy

Haha i wish we could somehow verify posters' ethnicities so I would know for sure whether it's okay to laugh at this, or whether this is really a white/hispanic dude in disguise.

AWIN and swyyyguy like this.
  4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I still can’t get over the fact that all media outlets are saying “chinito” is a racial slur. What a bunch of pansies these people have become.

How easy it must be for these non Spanish speakers to decypher racial slurs in foreign languages.

5. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Uncle bob? That's white ppl code for no matter how despicably racist their ppl are, they give them a pass. Why didn't you say Cousin Gurriel? Because white ppl are tolerant of their own bigotry but condemns anyone else outside of y'all.

Sports has always been a billion dppl at plantation and in these last days Satan is revealing all unapologetically. That's good because now God will soon be visiting this filthy place.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Um what?

7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

It's the world we live in. It seems incredibly likely that Yuli's story is true...that he was talking to teammates and saying he never had much success against asian pitchers (and as someone that talks with his hands made the gesture not realizing that OUT OF CONTEXT it might look bad).

8. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

You do realize that by definition you are being racist for making a blanket generalization like that?

Of course you don't.

9. fiersdownbelow

I am Asian too and was not offended until the media and other idiots here called this a "racial" gesture implying "slanty eyes" is characteristic of being asian. I have a slight epicanthic fold but many, many asians do not. If I had to rank order of racism it would probably go: 1) self-hating white liberals, 2) blacks, 3) asians, 4) Cubans, 5) white southerners - probably the most hospitable people I've met in this country. Meanwhile racism against the latter three groups is widely accepted in the media for some reason (for anybody who enjoys the Coen bros' movies, Scarface & and 99% of television & movies in general).

10. what

what Member

If i were the gm of thr astros, id suspend him for the entire post season. Im not even playing, either.

11. fiersdownbelow

Good thing our GM isn't a cuck.

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

****. He’s deciphered the code...

13. what

what Member

Whats your problem, man? Are you 13 years old?

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While I didn't think it was an acceptable action (I stated as much in this thread last night) people are blowing this way, way out of proportion.

He didn't stare down Darvish, or make some big show of it. It was a split second action, one that us Americans recognize as being in very poor taste, but hardly some gross show of "racism". If not for the litany of cameras on the world series this doesn't even get passing mention.

It's a teachable moment for Yuli, and Darvish seems to be handling this with great dignity. A call to the principal's office, a fine, and another apology, and then move on.

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I'm starting to think that MLB may suspend Gurriel one game for this, due to precedence from other players (Pillar, Escobar) for making insensitive remarks or gestures and getting suspended for it. Manfred may want, via a high-profile Gurriel suspension during the WS, to send a clear message to ALL MLB players, coaches and staff that this kind of stuff will not be tolerated. Manfred may also see this as an opportunity to potentially make himself look good in the eyes of the SJWs (can't stand sjw's btw...ugh), especially in today's racial climate.

Anyway, I thought Yu Darvish's public response to this was classy. Taking the high road. Good for him.

One of the things I really like about this Astros team is that they like to have a lot of fun and let it all hang loose when things are going well. Moreso than other teams. I think that mindset is one reason why they've made it to the World Series. However, that kind of mindset and attitude also carries risks...players are more likely to let their guard down (either on TV in the heat of the moment or on social media) and briefly show their true colors. It happened with Bregman earlier this season, and now Gurriel. Hell, back in 2015 (I think it was 2015) Keuchel, after a dominant regular season start, made some comment about women's p***y IIRC. Back then, it wasn't a big deal; most people found it amusing. But if he had made that same comment today, he'd probably be in hot water, with some people calling for punishment.

"Professionalism" is just a facade for a lot of people.

Anyway, I think that Gurriel should meet with Darvish in person and personally apologize to him directly. Then MLB hands down their punishment (I'd be ok with a hefty fine) and let's move on. Suspending him for the rest of the postseason would be a ridiculous overreaction.

tellitlikeitis and RasaqBoi like this.
  16. fiersdownbelow

Says the dude who would run our front office like a reactionary teenager. Jeff Luhnow >>>>> you

17. what

what Member

What are you even talking about? It's called having class. It's called having a backbone to be willing to take a stand rather than trying to win at all costs.
    This behavior has no place on the astros organization, period.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not surprised by this response... Your Avatar says it all.

You are a disgrace to humanity and your alt right dreams will never happen. Enjoy your miserable little lost loser life.

RedRedemption likes this.
  19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Wouldn’t having a backbone mean not giving in to the PC bs?

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  20. what

what Member

No it means you are willing to field a less potent team rather than caving and brushing it under the rug for your own selfish gain.
    It leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. If winning means we have to condone this racism, id rather lose.