1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gurriel caught being racist to Yu Darvish

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheRealist137, Oct 27, 2017.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Yup, definitely not talking about the whole city of Houston; just talking about the admitted racist poster @Hustle Town.

2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

this could really get in the way of our world series run. rob manfred is meeting with yuli tommorow.

Yuli was hitting so damn well too. Dude might be mentally if not physically gone the next game.

we will see what happens.

DudeWah likes this.
  3. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

not just CF, it's honestly most of the sports world, and to an extent, society.

well said.

people defending yuli are toxic... he did what he did... it was a mistake, and hopefully he will learn from it. why is that so hard to admit?

hopefully he doesn't get suspended though. i honestly think that would be ridiculous. a fine, sure.

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Humberto Quintero a couple of years ago. Different since they were friends and teammates here though

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Can we have a discussion without calling other users "racist"? I have no problem with people disagreeing with me on this or any other issue, but calling someone a racist is where I draw the line.

fiersdownbelow and Tfor3 like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One gesture doesn't make him racist, but it does show his cultural attitudes and his stupidity. Hopefully he learns something from it other than to be PC.

I will say this, anyone who defends him (many of our closet alt-righters) are racist. If you dismiss this as nothing or just silliness, that doesn't reflect well upon you.

Sports should be able setting an example higher than this. Kids are watching. We may have a scumbag as a president, but doesn't mean it's time to abandon our ideals all together.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yeah, but the leadership here has a long tradition of looking away at racism against Asians here starting from the Yao days. The fact that tinman still gets to post here is proof of that.

DudeWah and tmactoyao like this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Don't mean to "well actually" this post but it was a Yankees fan who decided to play whistleblower on this

9. theimpossibles1

I really don't think so. Yuli will lay down a classy apology, Darvish has already given a classy forgiving response. MLB will want the story to stay the World Series, not racism problems within their league. People will realize that in the greater sense of racism, this was a relatively mild insult. This will blow over quickly, especially with all the racism talk focused on the NFL right now.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Bad move by Yuli. As an Asian I don’t find it particularly offensive, but quite childish. That move and the mock Chinese language seems so pervasively accepted but it’ll be interesting to see the faux outrage over it.

Now that I think about it, there’s no doubt he’s being suspended 2 games for this. MLB will jump on the opportunity to help extend this series. It also introduces an element of negativity to a great story for this city and potentially impacts the future success of this team. All around shitty.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm not condoning what he did. What I will say is that sometimes Americans lack an understanding of the nuances of other cultures, and in our crusades to "perfect" them, we buy into a "holier-than-thou" mindset.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. theimpossibles1

Sidebet? Lol jk

13. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don’t support racism but I’m not going to get sensitive over something like what Gurriel did. He may have made a mistake but he shouldn’t be crucified for it and this really could turn the series around. The City and the team do not deserve this backlash over something so damn childish.

14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

He's not getting suspended. Those other players who received the two game suspensions received them from their teams, not the MLB. Different situations also. Yuli will get fined at the very worst.

BigM and theimpossibles1 like this.
  15. phasors28

phasors28 Member

After hearing Hinch, yeah it was intentional. Hope Yuli apologizes which I think he will. What a weird PR day for the Texans and Astros. Now we just await the Rockets

BigM likes this.
  16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Darvish forgave him, now it's entirely on him to not piss away that gesture of goodwill and understanding.

theimpossibles1, BigM and tmactoyao like this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not cool, but he comes from an isolated country where certain things simply aren't viewed like they are elsewhere. If one of our Americans did it, maybe a different story

Doesn't make it Ok, but a suspension for a WS game seems way over the top. An apology and a big fine.

Honestly don't give a f**k whether people like us or not.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I was semi kidding. I don’t think he gets suspended but the Houston conspiracy theorist in me can’t be sure about it.

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Man I just want this thread deleted and this to be no news. Hope Gurriel is ok, he didn’t hurt anyone. Hate that the one time we are experiencing something like this we are gong to start getting negativity our way.

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Do you dislike what Gurriel did? Do you think that Gurriel should apologize for what he did?