1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman fails to extend Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 16, 2017.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

See best case scenario.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dumb thread title. Smart not to extend. RFA status. Large supply of centers with low demand and minimal under the cap teams.

3. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Good move by Rockets organization to not extend Clint at this time. I rather Clint come in this season and prove his worth rather than to give him Parsons money and find out he's already reached his peak. You also have to consider the fact that Morey probably thinks he has a chance at the "Banana Boat Squad" and wants to see if he can make that happen before handing out anymore money.

4. Soneca

Soneca Member

Exactly, Implies that the organization tried to, which most likely didn't happen.

Capela must have a killer season with CP3 and Harden feeding him. If someone (Cuban? lol) deciedes to overpay, so be it. I really like Capela, how could us not after seeing him keeping in front of Curry in the WCF in some switches. Unfortunatly, I tend to agree with people that think the extra bulk kind of robbed some of his potential.

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

There is a reason for this. Wait till December. Clint will develop, and you'll have an upgrade. Free agency changes everything. Diamond in the rough.

Clint is a dime a dozen, but he doesn't take you to the promised land.

NeNe is goiing to have a bigger role.

As Is _____________________.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

#NoEars

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know Cod, the reality is that the Rockets don't ever extend players unless they are James Harden. I'm sure if Paul wanted an extension Morey would give it to him as well. I have a hard time believing this nugget.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I wouldn't extend him either unless it was to a below market value contract. There are fewer teams with cap space next offseason and several players on the market. We'll have the right to match any offer, why bid against ourselves? Nerlens Noel didn't get a contract at all this summer and will be a UFA. Centers used to be overpaid, but they aren't all that necessary anymore. Capela's market may not be all that hot.

8. Space City

Space City Member

Great non-move. At the start of next offseason, Capela's cap hold will only be the RFA amount, which I believe is equal to the qualifying offer value (~3.4M for Clint), rather than the first year's salary of whatever extension he were to sign. This offers added flexibility in pursuing free agents as we can then go over the cap to re-sign Clint after the other FA situations have fallen into place.

Plus, we get one more year to evaluate Capela's worth and let the market set his value, rather than guessing the type of offers he'll get as a FA and bidding against ourselves.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

But Embiid got an extension and has only played 6 games.

Little Bit likes this.
  10. basketballholic

Call hold should be 250% of this season's salary unless the new CBA changed that rule.

11. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Tells you a lot abt the difference in talent level between the two.

amaru likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Not corny?

Plowman likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who is No Ears?

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

#DestroyTheBay:---When Pressure Makes A Diamond --10/17-12/17

15. hvic

hvic Member

So was Patrick in the boardroom when they decided this?

16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Capela can't catch a pass below his shoulders and has some of the weakest hands in the game. Stop the lob and he's no good on PnR, Nene is so much better with Harden and Paul.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think he's talking about Nerlens Noears. He wanted an extension too and plays center.

#Makescents

18. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, after seeing what happened to Nerlens Noel this past summer this makes sense.

The market just doesn't seem to be there for defense/dunk only centers.

19. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Bottom line, Capela sucks at rebounding and has no three point shot. With Zhou Qi in the picture, I think Moreys putting money on his development. He can run, block shots, rebound, and he's got a smooth stroke from 3. With CP3 and harden leadership, he'll get worked into the offense quite well. He'll need to get his timing on lob passes... that will just take some PT.!!

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

LOL... Morey's plan is going to be exactly that; putting our front court eggs in the basket of a player that has not shown or proven anything at the NBA level. This love affair with Zhou Qi is getting ridiculous.