1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TNT: Kevin McHale reacts to comments from James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Oct 13, 2017.

1. riko

riko Member

No more excuses this season because he finally has enough help. not scrubs like Lin, Garcia,Casspi, Beverley and other average role players....... Ok Beverley was not or is not a scrub like the others.Anyhow, he now has really good players around him and the WCF should be a realistic goal.

BigShasta likes this.
  2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

McHale played with hall of famers for his entire career. Watch James in his first year doing the same.

Valid points but not ones that he should have made.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

KMc might been an HoF player playing in the greatest front line ever (hmm, Wilt, Jackson, Walker???) but he seems intent on never ever ever getting another bench op in the Association.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Harden's my favorite player, but McHale is not wrong.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"It's about Will"

#ClutchCrew
    #99ers

6. tinman

Supporting Member

I think what McHale was trying to say is that year when Harden didn't play D, that was based on effort.
    Those other players you mentioned are bad defensive players but they put out effort which is part of leadership.

I do agree that Paul is the better leader, but Harden is the better player.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS!

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I gotta believe something came up between McHale and the rockets recently, like they were late with one of his checks, and that's why he's pissed.

tinman likes this.
  9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

McHale is a butthurt jackass, still blaming Harden for his inept ass getting fired. Bottom line the Rox roster wasn't good enough for them to win a title or the West. And it still isn't, so when the Rox lose, Is it Harden's poor leadership or Morey's inability to build a Championship roster? Get a Championship roster then talk leadership.

Mazulis, vlaurelio and pippendagimp like this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

Mchale is a jaggoff to talk about his former players like this. Obviously some bad blood...regardless, you keep those things private.

To me, this is simply Mchale slipping quietly into obscurity and his attempt to remain relevant so he doesn't lose his cushy studio job. Because we all KNOW he's never gonna get a chance to coach or GM in this league again.

Maybe next time he can address why he keeps getting fired eh?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Do you think Harden would EVER be hired as a coach? McHale was a great player. Harden is a great player who had the advantage of having the ball in his hands most of the time.

12. macan

macan Member

the firing of him that year, still making an impact on him inside.

13. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Please explain to me how you know of someone is putting on effort or not. You must be on the court reading their minds right?

14. tinman

Supporting Member

You mean that season when harden didn’t run back on defense?
    Maybe you just need to watch the rockets.

Don’t need to read minds just need to watch games.

Mazulis likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

There was a year where Harden didn’t even try playing defense.
    That was with McHale and when he was dating the fat Kardashian.

If you don’t know this delete your accounts now and don’t even try to engage us pure Rockets fans

Mr. Clutch and Mazulis like this.
  16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

My issue with McHale's comments were never about whether or not he was correct... I mean, we all know Harden isn't a poster boy for leadership. The issue I had was him trashing a former player publicly. McHale should have said something like, "Harden isn't the most vocal guy, he tries to lead with his play but he's not really a vocal leader. Thats something CP3 can really help Houston with here." In stead he said what he said and sounded like a bitter ex-coach. NBA analysts (especially former players/coaches) have an enormous impact on public perception of a player, and it drives me crazy when they take this responsibility lightly and make statements like McHale made. I don't blame Harden one bit for firing back as I assume he's fed up with the NBA media after they tweeted him out of 2 MVPs...

I really believe that without the public perception of Harden, which is 90% influenced by twitter and poor analysts, he would be a 2 time MVP.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

How did Westbrook put in effort when he was near last in the league for contesting jumpshots..after Deandre Jordan

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People forget that McHale was just in for the challenge, he wasn't eager to take any job.

Leslie Alexander played a pivotal role in recruiting him to coach us.

So your point that he keeps coaching and coaching is moot. He does not need or want badly.

And Milk Hair is still liked around the NBA, maybe not by CF Fans.

To be a leader, you got to have a voice and communicate it loudly. Then we might get to talk about a good leader, average leader or in this case no leader.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...rs-challenge-for-new-coach-McHale-1405315.php

#138 daywalker02, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  19. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I'm not saying he did/didn't run back on D, what I'm arguing is you questioning professional athletes effort. I mean don't get me wrong, Harden hasn't been the best player in a PO series but he's def a 1 man show for the most part. You can't expect 1 guy to handle the ball, score, and run back on D 100% of the time. Yes blame Harden for his lack of endurance or lack of execution but not for lack of "not giving a dam", the guy plays hard at his pace and I can't fully blame him for his meltdown last year in game 6.
    If you're going to blame Harden, cool, but also blame the GM and coach. The fact that Daryl came into last season expecting Harden to carry the full load yet again for the 3rd straight year is insane. As for the coach, the fact that MDA can't implement anything else but the "Harden 1 on 1 break down and pass to a 3 point shooter" is beyond me. The standing around at the 3 point line is probably the easiest play to guard, the few times Harden or even Gordon would cut to the basket they would get an open dunk but the fact that MDA doesn't seem to preach off ball screens, back door cuts, or off ball motion is concerning.
    We saw it again this pre-season where CP and Harden would just take turns bringing the ball up, going 1 on 1, and passing to the 3 point line instead of someone cutting to the basket.
    Again, I don't agree with it being about effort, it's about execution and coaching. Can't expect a team to go too far in the PO when all they do is sit at the 3 line. Steve Kerr took a page out of MDA's playbook and expanded it by adding and running the off ball screens which is what has made GS so hard to guard.
    MDA needs to get it together or watch out for a bad CP and Harden year.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Specific season where Harden didn’t run back on every possession.

I stated that was the Kardashian dating year.

It makes sense.