1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN headline after Jeremy Lin loss: "Chink in the Armor"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Child_Plz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Misa

Misa Member

Actually people who get triggered by his haircut (which seems that he likes to get crazy ones) are the soft ones

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Jeremy Lin with crazy hair? Bad.
    Everybody else with crazy beards? Good.

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

the difference is yao didn't know any better. he had lived in china his whole life. he didn't speak up because didn't know how to speak up. he didn't quite know that it was actually an issue.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao didn’t purposely have a whack haircut so he can troll someone about race when they notice

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jeremy got into a pushing match with Kevin Durant.

6. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

7. conquistador#11

I said it back when he was with the hornets and getting mauled in the playoffs, he should braid his hair and attach a razor to it like the old kung fu movies. Those people(kung fu fighters) had braids before O-dog. Watching Tate in the new season of power, he looks the same age. Keaanu and Tate are vampires, confirmed.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rohan Nadkarni: What's on your mind right now?

Kenyon Martin: This was never meant to be racial. It was thought of as what would've been done in our locker room. It would've been jokes. We would've been making jokes. It's far from racist. I guess saying "Wanting to be black" made it racial. But I despise people that look down because of race. It was meant to be a "Ha Ha Ha" moment. If you watch, I was laughing in the statements. It got taken too far. I wanted to clear the air. I don't know Jeremy. He's had a few crazy hairstyles before and I had the same thought process: 'WTF.' But I wasn't trying to be racist. I didn't even know he did the Players Tribune thing.

I recently erased the post off my page. People were sending messages to my son. Like, no. Say whatever to me and about me. I have thick skin. I know what my intentions were. But then those are the things that are coming across. You n----- this. Your n----- that.

RN: So to be clear, what was your intention?

KM: If you listen to it, I was saying he wouldn't have made it in our locker room. We would've made jokes every single day. He is a grown man. He can rock whatever hairstyle he wants to rock. People missed all of that. Just like I'm a grown man. I can say whatever I want.

RN: Were you thinking about the cultural appropriation conversation when you made the comments?

KM: That wasn't even my thought process when I posted the picture. I'm strolling on the internet and the kid has dreads and I reacted. People want to make it into what it is. No matter what color, race, ethnicity, wherever you're from, you have the right to do whatever you want. It's your decision at the end of the day.

RN: Have you spoken to Jeremy?

KM: I DM'd him after the fact. I'm a grown man. I can admit if something got out of control or if I did something wrong. I'm trying to get his phone number as we speak so we can clear the air.

RN: What's your big takeaway from the situation?

KM: You definitely have to be careful the way you word things. People can take stuff out of context. I've known that. But when you experience this first hand, there's no teacher like experience.

RN: Anything else you want to get off your chest?

KM: I have no problem with Jeremy, man. People were attacking me, calling me racist or n-----. I didn't call him any kind of derogatory thing. He has the right to rock any hairstyle he wants. It got out of control. It wasn't meant to be anything more than banter. Jeremy is an athlete and I would hope he understood that this was in fun and not to offend and as long as he's not offended that's all that matters. I wish him well.​

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Nutcase Airemy fans showing their true colors.

The same ones that blame racism for Airemy Lin's failures as a basketball players are the ones dishing out the N word on social media.

tinman and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

a bunch of nba players have wack-ass chinese tattoos, you don't see any asian players calling them out.

kenyon martin ****ed up by bringing race into it. then tried to backtrack saying it wasn't about race. he's no longer in the league, why should he cares?

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Kenyon Martin instagram page is hilarious. All chinese comments and ppl basically going at him with name calling. I am sure like 40% are from the BBS. Lin Fans Only are deep!

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Martin is in the wrong for sure.
    However this whack hair doo is 100% poser and doing this to get attention because his basketball game isn't getting any.

Having Asian tattoos isn't something blatant as making a well known conservative christian from Palo Alto having a haircut of a reggae artist .

Lin is not trying 'to be black' , he's just grabbing for attention. you can obviously see this.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

This is the reason why LOFs should never be allowed on this great site.
    They are only fans of Lin because of racism and insecurity.

What's Lin going to do with them? is he going to block them from his twitter feed? no. He needs them for his ego and brand.

14. Karolik

Karolik Member

15. ZHOUDynasty

ZHOUDynasty Member

Sorry but I have to remind you Lin explained in his long article post on the PLAYER TRIBUNE that the reason he got those crazy hairs is not to get attention, but to break out of the comfort zone and learn to care only about his own opinion instead of others, though I had the same suspect as you did before this article came out.

However, I agree that this hairstyle does look a little weird worn by LIN.

16. malakas

malakas Member

If this thing hadn't happened noone would care about Lin's hair.
    Even with his article written it wouldn't attract much attention..who cares?
    I only care if it's an eyesore, or when his hair is a risk to other players like 2 years ago when he almost skewered Ennis eye during a game vs the Hornets.

It's not that bad like the blonde braids that Smart had, or Caroll's red highlights. Those were FUGLY like they almost caused physical pain to my eyes when I watched them in tv.
    Any race can have any haircut they want.
    My only advice is for east asian men not to grow their beards or mustaches coz they can't and it looks bad.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

tinman and Zboy like this.
  18. Nigel Thornberry

Who is this clown? Is this lone blades new account? @Pen15clubber we need to find out

19. tinman

Supporting Member

That just means he's definitely doing it to get attention.

How old is Lin? He's not a 16 year old teenager.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Lin is not doing anything about it.
    If he starts banning all the LOFs from his twitter or instagram then he can get some respect.