1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you guys still be able to support the Rockets if they disrespected the flag by kneeling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 26, 2017.

?

Would you guys still be able to support the Rockets if they took a knee during the anthem?

1. Yes-It's not disrespectful

87.8%
  2. No-GET OUT THE COUNTRY!

12.2%
  1. Progs

Progs Member

Good, good.

2. realmustang

realmustang Member

What do you mean when you say "they have their rights and I have mine."? We all have the same rights in this country. Hope you meant to say views. My view of this issue is that the men and women who have fought and died for this country, did so in order to protect their right to kneel during the national anthem. They are honoring them by exercising their rights that those heroes gave their lives to protect. Your view may be different but your rights are the same as everyone else's.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

@knote32 Thank you for your service.

DonKnock likes this.
  4. Progs

Progs Member

It's gonna be interesting at games when people in attendance don't start standing for the anthem.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. lionaire

lionaire Member

Proud to see the results. CF got some real ones.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. Progs

Progs Member

Agree. Makes me proud to be a member on here.

DonKnock likes this.
  7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

[​IMG]

You like it stand up and put you hand on your heart. If you dont like it get, stay in the locker room... /Thread.

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

They just need to get better performers. Lakers got flea to play the national anthem on his bass.

Wayy too funky to stay kneeling down to that version

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  9. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Good point, I know CF has people from all around the globe. Just meant that in Houston, it probably seems like more of a divisive issue than it really is, at least compared to most other NBA cities.

Easy likes this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

Identity politics hits the GARM.

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I will be angry if they kneel during the anthem.

I REALLLLYYYYYYY like what Dallas did, and I'd support the Rockets also doing it.

Lock arms or Kneeling before the anthem is great, show the world your message. Tell the world you are kneeling for equality and your disagreements with Trump. But afterwords stand for the anthem, for the Vets sake, who are insulted if you don't. To show appreciation for their sacrifices and duty they served for our nation.

Fact of the matter is the anthem and respecting the anthem/flag is a big deal to them. With the spotlight on, it's your turn to put a message out about equality and be the bigger man to show love for Vets. It is showing that America WILL not be divided, while also making the statement that we have alot of work to do.

I hate the cowboys, but what they did was great.

rbenavides01, Easy and seeingredtx like this.
  12. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

**My opinion**

Flag worship and this American pride is the equivalent of the Nazi’s propaganda with Hitler.

What I have pride in is the way our Houstonians stepped up and didn’t matter race, religion back ground l, language spoken or whatever during the flooding. Showing that we “southerners” have more compassion and our cultures all mesh with each other and are inter-tangled. Kneeling is the most respectful way of protesting there is.

When a man proposes, he gets on 1 knee, when a man is about to die they make him get on his knees and beg for his life. What makes America great is that we have the right to stand, **** on a toilet or kneel if we want to.

F@c k politics and all the BS that comes along with it. And most of all F@c k anyone that wants to take away your rights.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I hear ya... as I said things can mean different things to different people... I dont view the confederate flag as racist - but I can understand why some do... just like some view kneeling as an insult to people who have died and others do not... it's about understanding someone else's motivations and not automatically assigning your perception/beliefs to/as their motivations...

ceonwuka likes this.
  14. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I'm a proud Houstonian. When Katrina hit, many predominately black neighborhoods in New Orleans, all you heard about was the looting. When Florida was hit, many predominately white neighborhoods in the state, all you heard about was the looting.

When Houston was hit. HOUSTON, the most culturally and ethnically diverse city in America, only rivaled by New York (who I might add also showed great community during 9/11).. All you pretty much heard about was how the city came together for one another. All you saw on TV was the massive volunteer lines and search parties. As awful as the hurricane was and the economic impact, from a sociologic perspective it was one of the most beautiful things to happen this year.

That being said, I go back to what I previously posted. I agree with the message behind the kneeling, I agree anyone can kneel or stand whenever- but that also means I'm free to be angry or insulted about their choices. I'm free to find it disrespectful and the gesture low IQ. All this media, and 'coming together' in response to what Trump said looks weak to me. What Dallas did was strong.

You are hurting Vets when you kneel during the anthem, it's the wrong outlet of protest. Kneeling more during the anthem in response to Trumps comments just shows you are as divisive as he is being. 'Ohh you insulted me so I'm going to go and do this more to hit back at you.. even if it hurts Vets.'

Kneel on TV before the anthem. Send your message you're not ok with inequality. Kneel before the anthem to say you CAN do what you want. Then stand for the anthem, do it for the vets. Send the message this is a free country, you can do what you want, but your not going to let this further divide the nation, and your not going to hurt Vets emotions. Instead, your going to show them respect and show your appreciation. Thats you being a big boy, not a b/tch boy.

Bolt even had that kind of decency and he isn't even American.

DonKnock, kjayp and seeingredtx like this.
  15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

D&D topics in the Garm?

16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Is that weed in your picture?

seeingredtx likes this.
  17. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Would this even be on anyone's radar if this wasn't happening before NFL kickoffs? The answer is almost certainly no.

I appreciate your willingness to articulate your viewpoints even though I disagree with them. I want to address what you said without passing judgement so if anything comes off as if I'm attacking you I want to explicitly say that is not my intention.

1) First, I want to say that I appreciate the sacrifices of all the service men & women who keep us safe from outside threats, preserve our way of life, and protect our interests abroad. But I don't agree that the National Anthem or the American Flag belong to service men & women only, it belongs to all of us. The association between the pre-game anthem and our Veterans is new to me. It looks and feels like an attempt by people who dislike the protest to have some moral ground in opposition it. If someone were to disrupt an official service men & women event, like a Veteran's Day event or Memorial Day event that seems more in line with disrespect than sitting/kneeling quietly.

2) What is an appropriate time/event/situation to protest only the unjust? Where is there a gathering of a police officers who show bias against people of color? They hide among collective and are protected by the "Blue Shield" no matter what. There are bad apples in every bunch, I get it. But why isn't anything being done to get rid of them once identified? The lack of accountability is an open invitation for some police officers to be at best - reckless and negligent, and at worst - outright predatory in their interpretation of law enforcement. The bar for what can be considered a justifiable shooting by policy is so ridiculously low. These same policies end up costing taxpayers tons of money in settlements and court fees later. Think about how much money police departments nationwide spend on wrongful death lawsuits every year. I looked up the stats for Los Angeles, where I live - LAPD has spent $196M in payouts between 2012 and 2016. Thats a crazy amount. What's the number in your city/county/state? Even if you don't care about the racial component, we still need to address how people in the country are policed. Why can't there be any attention be brought the issue without those who don't see a need for change changing the discourse to something else. (black-on-black crime, respect for Veterans, etc.)

3) I (and I think most people prior to this whole saga) don't associate kneeling with disrespect. The most common reference I have for a person kneeling is either showing deference to some royalty or praying to their God. And again, as another poster pointed out, Kaep started his silent, non-disruptive protest by sitting. Kneeling was suggested as an alternative action that would allow him to stay true to his original intention while specifically NOT coming off as disrespectful.

4) Unity is all about finding the common ground despite differences of opinion. It's not "see it my way or you're an *******" (that goes for both sides). I hope (despite whatever politics, race, gender, etc. we are individually) that we all want to live in a Country where people get treated fairly so we should focus on contributing to that, not pointing fingers when some people question whether or not our Country is actually delivering on that hope. Along that same line of thinking, we're all on this message board b/c of the Rockets so I'd much rather talk about that than this stuff but I feel like I needed to say something.

DonKnock and Grizzlyshark like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I've never understood this "southern pride" thing. Pride in what? The South fought against America and fought for the right to own slaves.

DonKnock and seeingredtx like this.
  19. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Yes... I grow

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

But don't you see, they don't feel united? When they are judged by a different set of codes, start at different start marks, and have a different set of perils PURELY BASED ON SKIN COLOR, how are they to feel united? Now you want to force them to acclimate and united when they feel disenfranchised? They would be standing only in token, not in actual faith. I'm sorry, but when people stand for the anthem I want them to do so because they actually believe they are part of this country. The responsibility is on us as a nation to listen and try and include them.

DonKnock likes this.