1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Week 3 Texans @ Patriots

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 19, 2017.

1. vick

vick Member

Watt does not look that tired in his many commercials played before during and after games.

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I wanted that win even if highly unrealistic. Bummed

red5rocket and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. Malaya

Malaya Member

Worried about how they will fix the secondary going forward ...

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The secondary will look better with more consistent pressure on the QB.

If teams are going to sell-out entire game-plans to counter Watt (which is what the Pats did today), the Texans need to stop getting cute and simply line up Merciless/Clowney next to him EVERY TIME.

They'd do it on occasion, each got a sack out of it, then they'd go back to splitting them out on separate sides.

I understand you don't want to be too predictable... but it mostly did the Pats and Brady a favor any time they tried to rush Clowney up the middle, or split him and Watt out to separate sides of the edge.

whag00 likes this.
  5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Damn that secondary is a sight to behold.

6. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Why would he?

7. Bob Barker 007

The only thing I am actually upset about with the game today is that the Texans did not use Foreman on 3rd and 1, and they did not go for it on 4th and 1. I believe that we had to keep Brady off the field, either by running the clock out or by scoring a touchdown to go up by 9.

noscrusir, marks0223 and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes it was. That's 2 weeks in a row for Clowney. Moore should have indeed. What else killed us was when Watson threw an interception right to Gilmore that he ran back to the 12 yard line. That was an easy score for them, and the difference in the game. Watson will learn and grow, and hopefully quit making those types of mistakes.

9. TejasTom

TejasTom Member

I am the only one that thought I was listening to the Patriots feed?

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Playing Decoud

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

"That was not a dirty or late hit on Hopkins. He was just making sure he was going out of bounds!"
    "[Patriots player] wisely pushes off for the touchdown!"

Of course Patriots fans think the same - Dan Fouts hates them/is rooting for Houston. :D

"Someone give Dan Fouts Watson's hotel room so he can ride his dick a little more later."

"Dan Fouts favoritism towards the Texans is rather nauseating. He should be demoted to do games with Beth Mowins. #Patriots"

"Why does Dan Fouts want Brady to get hurt?"

"now that the game is over Dan Fouts can buy Watson a nice bottle of wine and maybe make out with him before he makes the Hall of Fame."

"Dan fouts in Houston locker room giving sympathy fellatio to Watson?"

"Two point conversion good! Suck on that Dan Fouts you jealous bastid!"

"Please get Dan Fouts off any future Patriots broadcasts @CBSSports"

"I swear to god Dan Fouts just watches a play and says the outcome will go against New England no matter what "

"Dan Fouts is so close to running on the field and throating Watson"

"Dan Fouts with a mouthful of Deshaun Watson’s nuts"

"Dan fouts wants to face-**** deshaun Watson soooo bad r n !"

"Is it me, or does Dan Fouts seem giddy with joy when they call a penalty on the #Patriots ?"

"I'm fairly certain Dan Fouts wants to see what's in Watson's pants."

12. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

I'm still in shock the team went with Savage over Watson to start the season.

tmacfor35, Cstyle42 and RasaqBoi like this.
  13. conquistador#11

used to it with Fouts. some of the penalties were so absurd. Our dbs have to sell the push off better. You need to dirk and manu. all they did was throw up their hands. Fall, roll and hold your helmet like you're in agony.

J.R. likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

PFF

HOUSTON TEXANS
    TOP 5 GRADES:
    DE J.J. Watt, 89.5 overall grade
    S Marcus Gilchrist, 88.3 overall grade
    LT Chris Clark, 86.0 overall grade
    OLB Jadeveon Clowney, 81.2 overall grade
    RT Breno Giacomini, 80.9 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
    QB DESHAUN WATSON, 74.5 OVERALL GRADE

Another enigma of a performance from Watson, who showed glimpses of brilliance but was again culpable for some of the pressure he brought upon himself. Watson was responsible for more pressure (1 sack, 2 hits, 2 hurries) than any of his individual offensive linemen were charged with but when he was under pressure he evaded it and kept plays alive superbly. Still far from polished but this was another huge step in the right direction from Watson and so very nearly a signature win early in his career. Watson complete 11/19 passes aimed 10+ yards downfield and is trending upwards with his performances very quickly.

WR DEANDRE HOPKINS, 79.3 OVERALL GRADE
    The Clemson connection between Hopkins and Watson will be crucial this season for the Texans. Both inside and outside of structure, the Texans’ duo was in sync this week with Watson hitting Hopkins on three intermediate passes after mostly finding Hopkins on short passes a week ago in Cincinnati. The rest of the offense showed up this week for Houston and if a big game from Watson and Hopkins sparks the Houston offense, they may just take off yet.

DI J.J. WATT, 89.5 OVERALL GRADE
    Watt got off to a fast start in this game, racking up his three stops (2 tackles for loss and a tackle for no gain) on the Patriots’ first four defensive snaps. The impact on the stat sheet from there may not have matched that but his impact went beyond the box score, even setting up Jadeveon Clowney’s second sack by running through LT Nate Solder to knock him down and allow Clowney to turn the corner for the sack.

S COREY MOORE, 76.8 OVERALL GRADE
    You have to take your chances when you get them against the Patriots, and in spite of a strong showing, competing with Rob Gronkowski in the end zone and breaking up the penultimate defensive play of the game, this will ultimately be a game of missed opportunities for Moore. He failed to bring in the interception on that pass breakup as he rose above Brandin Cooks and then on the decisive play of the game he was just boxed out as he worked over to the sideline for the game winning score. On such fine margins are games won and lost.​

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Let's not overlook the fact that the Texans' secondary surrendered 5 passing touchdowns.

Doesn't matter if it's Tom Brady or Tom Savage throwing the ball, if you give up that many passing scores, then you're bound to lose big time. The only reason Texans were in this game is Brady throwing an uncharacteristic pick-6 fumble to Clowney.

There is no moral victory in this loss.

Don't fool yourself, this scoring defense is not as good as last year with the loss of Bouye. I wouldn't be surprised if this secondary is shredded to pieces in the next few weeks by Titans and Chiefs.

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He came off the field a lot at the end of the 2015 season, and I was wondering about him then. I noticed he came off the field a lot between plays. Then he had those surgeries. He is being double teamed and held most of the time, which would probably be the reason he seems more winded than the other guys.

17. TheBrownDude

TheBrownDude Member

It's crazy to think that we could have potentially had Marcus Peters and AJ Bouye, and Jjo and have kareem play SS w Hal. What ifs right

TejasTom and ghettocheeze like this.
  18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Plain shameless

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

So much this. I have yet to Clowney generate any pressure when standing and coming up the middle. Hell he doesnt even draw a double team...he simply gets swallowed up by the guard or the center.

20. TheBrownDude

TheBrownDude Member

How far of a FG would it have been if we went for a FG rather than the hail mary?