1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets vs. OKC comparison

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't know for sure. But what I do know for sure is the Rockets have James Harden.

iNoseBleedRed, ClutchCity3 and Nook like this.
  2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

When the rockets usually got their lead on OKC in the playoffs Westbrook was either on the bench or he had to do force things in the 4th quartet to carry the team. Now with adding George and Melo that won't be the case. Unless the rockets improve dramatically on defensive side of the ball like MDA pointed out after the game 6 loss to Spurs, my unbiased opinion is OKC sits solidly as 2nd best in the west and league.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

OK also added Felton as a backup PG. That is a nice addition. As well as Patrick Patterson. If the team gels, they have a lot of versatility.

jump shooter and amaru like this.
  4. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Which team has had more success since the Harden trade?

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't doubt we can outplay them all regular season.
    Playoffs is a completely different story. I'd take their team over ours.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Defensively people really think OKC is strong? I know we’re not the best but we added 3 very good defenders and showed flashes of top 15 defense last year..

7. Nook

Nook Member

OKC is a far better team than the one the Rockets played last year in the playoffs. Luckily the Rockets are also vastly improved.

The issue with the Rockets has been defense and protecting the ball. The Rockets added 3 elite defenders to their rotation and the best ball protector in NBA history. Defensively the Rockets will be better. They will be able to run out their lock down defensive line up of Paul/Harden/Ariza/Tucker/Nene to really slow teams down. The Rockets added to rotation pieces to defend at the swing positions. For the Rockets to really be a threat, they need to be a top 8 team defensively. They have the pieces to do that but will need more consistent defense from Harden and Capela.

I expect a better year from Anderson having Paul at point guard to set him up. Defensively he isn't a real issue if the players around him defend. You can cover up a marginal defender when he is the only liability on the court.

As for OKC, they could defend before adding George. Paul George wasn't the same defender last year but he can still guard 3 spots and his physical style of play slots perfectly with OKC. They are better defensively. Anthony is a poor defender but as long as Westbrook gives effort they can mask Anthony's defensive limitations.

The Thunder are certainly better offensively now with George added to their line up. How much of an upgrade Anthony is, is questionable. Anthony was not an efficient scorer last year and was a ball stopper at times last year and the on/of stat for Anthony was equivalent to an average NBA player. This was support by his VORP being under 1.

The hope in OKC is that their defense can weather the inefficient play of Anthony and that he will become more selective in his shot selection. With Westbrook at point, I really question the likelihood of this happening. Still it is worth the risk for OKC because he cost them very little.

The Thunder have 3 of the top 15 players in the NBA in offensive usage from a year ago. That is almost impossible to repeat this year. The Thunder can possibly support two high usage players but not 3. Will Anthony cleanly take a step back? I doubt it. Will Westbrook cut back? Possible but isn't likely based on his track record. Will Paul George? It is possible. Westbrook could make George just a bailout three point shooter; or if their chemistry clicks and they both run the floor; it could be dangerous.

Overall the Rockets have more weapons offensively.

I think a lot of it will hinge on the play of the centers (Capela/Adams) and how big a change on team culture the new additions bring. Adams is a vastly superior player compared to Capela. Adams is far more talented and a better defender. Capela on the other hand is likely to see his offensive production increase and always exceeds expectations.

As far as a cultural change; there is no comparison. George has had serious chemistry issues with his teammates and coaches and Anthony is at best neutral. Chris Paul on the other hand is an excellent leader and demands everyone be on the same page. Tucker is a hard ass that has an effort that is contagious.

Overall injuries will likely be the difference between the Thunder and Rockets. Assuming health the Rockets are the better team. The Rockets have exceptional line up flexibility and players in Harden and Paul that make their teammates better. I can't say that for George or Westbrook or Anthony.

If the Rockets remain healthy and defend, they are the second best team in the NBA.

ElPigto, yixiixiy, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Which team had Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka?

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if okc starts roberson over patterson, that will be a problem for us. who does anderson guard in that lineup? melo will just drive right by him every single time

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

We will have to start Mbah or Tucker then.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yup

12. Nook

Nook Member

Defense in the NBA isn't 1on1 often. A team can get away with one poor defender if they have a strong scheme and execution. I don't think Anthony or Anderson are going to make much difference defensively. If there are particular match up issues the Rockets can go to Ariza/Tucker/Luc.

Don't forget someone has to cover Anderson on the other end of the court as well. Having Anderson will be even more important for spacing with Chris Paul added.

13. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

OKC has length, athleticism, and the ability of flexible lineups. Houston will for sure have the better offense but OKC should be better defensively and I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to them in a playoff series.

amaru likes this.
  14. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

It's about equal. Morey is shrewd as a GM, OKC owner probably is just as much, maybe even worse.

15. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

keep in mind westbrook and george was in melo's ear wanting to play with him, P.G is super excited he's coming they all just want to win, don't see it being a issue who has the ball

they have robertson, westbrook, and P.G on the wings on D thats as good as it gets in the NBA

westbrook can finally take a break so he will probably be more efficient and can play more D, honestly this team is scary

can we beat them Hell yes ! but man the NBA is really intersting this year.

16. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Tucker at the 4 wouldn't be a bad idea. Having Gordon, Anderson, and Nene off the bench would be huge.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

anderson is not hard to guard, as long as you just keep a body near him at the arc. melo will probably love just parking there. on the other end though we would have to bring help just about everytime melo gets the ball. i think that's going to be a disaster when we also have to worry about doubling both westbrook and george at times as well. luckily we have other forwards who can come in for ryno, but then it's like donovan on kanter in our series -- we can't leave anderson on the floor

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This post is excellent! Great analysis.

19. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. The Rockets need a Joe Johnson type of player. No more one trick ponies. You need playmakers to beat the elite teams.

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The Thunder are strong again. Morey had one thing up his sleeve and now we have no Millsap, No Melo and Ryan Anderson for 60 mil still. They are legit the 2nd or 3rd seed with the warriors and spurs on top. From laughing at the NYC locker room to us possibly having locker room issues and a very akward preseason camp. The Rockets players skipped out in Ryno's wedding but hung out with Melo in NYC...how Morey handled the last of this offseason is going to bite this team in the butt unless Morey can move fast within the next three days.