1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets vs. OKC comparison

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Sep 24, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

OK let’s C and compare the two and how they stack up:

CP3 vs. Westbrook
    Harden vs. Roberson
    Ariza vs. George
    Ryno vs. Melo
    Capela vs. Adams

Gordon vs. Felton
    Tuckers vs. Abrines
    Mbah vs. Grant / Patterson
    Nene vs. Collison / Patterson

On paper the Thunder win that starting lineup, but we clearly beat that bench. Now in real life we look even better since Westbrook George and Melo all have to adjust and learn to play together. This is much more challenging than our backcourt in MDA’s free flow system. Chemistry in general for their starters will be a challenge. For us too, don’t get me wrong but I doubt it’s harder for us given PG contract status in particular. CP3 at least says he’s committed and chose to come here, not so much for George or even Melo.

Westbrook in particular will be interesting since last year he was the one and now has to share with TWO guys who do best with the ball in their hands and also want to probably. Melo is a late addition so to incorporate him is a challenge, especially given the sacrifice he has to make. Also Donovan hasn’t proven to get the best out of guys and you need a strong coach to manage those 3.

We have the clear advantage with our roster and offensive prowess carrying over from last year. OKC can be scary good on offense, but I doubt they can top a top 10 offense of All Time with the addition of CP3. It’s impossible. Then we clearly have defense on our hands with CP3, Tucker, Mbah and Ariza. Westbrook and Melo are far from great, only George and Roberson are. So we have 4 wings who are good to great defenders, while they have 2 maybe 3.

Adams sucked last year while Capela thrived, so that’s another thing to factor in. Patterson coming off surgery is also not someone you can automatically count on. He can shoot, but inconsistent and far from a great defender. Ryno is elite at shooting. We also have Nene so our defense and front court in particular outmatch theirs.

Individually they have the firepower, but can they mesh? Will Melo take a back seat? Who will take the last shot? Will Westbrook be happy taking less of a burden?
    We also have a challenge, because will Harden work off the ball? Can he handle not handling the rock as much? Will he commit to defending more? Will CP3 be happy playing with Harden? Who will be the leader?

Maybe I’m biased but while I see the potential, I’m sceptical about OKC as a contender and better team than us. Our guard and wing rotation can match theirs on both ends, while they can only outdo us on offense.

We’ll get our first shot in a week, so let’s hope for a great match and a glimpse of what both teams will look like. I wish the NBA didn’t screw us with OKC only visiting Houston in April, but at least we see them now and not too late @ Xmas. Should be great and I feel very good about our chances. Entertaining it will be for sure!

#1 OTMax, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    jevjnd and Moleb like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My guess is that OKC's starting lineup will be
    Westbrook
    George
    Anthony
    Patterson
    Adams.
    -- with Roberson off the bench. Though they can end games with him.

With OKC, it all comes down to how Westbrook QB's the team. I am a bit skeptical on that. But on PAPER the team is a nice mix of scoring, shooting and defense. They have a ton of versatility to play with teams like GSW. Their bench is much better which was a huge problem for them last year.

Adding Melo to OKC means they can mix him in with the bench unit to keep the scoring going. I felt OKC was a 5/4 seed. But adding Melo brings them right up with Houston & San Antonio to battle in the 3/2 range. And because of this, it is a tough pill to swallow on Melo going to OKC.

3. Moleb

Moleb Member

Great review, slightly bias towards Houston. But good points.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I guess I am one of the select few who think that Westbrook will get the ball less and hence a better more efficient OKC team.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Don't forget there is only 1 ball and 3 ball dominant players when trying to extrapolate. If you find yourself getting a bit sad just remind yourself that it's highly likely two or three of their big names will are leaving next year. :D

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Westbrook will get the ball the same. He is the QB/PG of the team. What we need to find out, is will he share/distribute it to PG/Melo enough. Westbrook has a lot of "Kobe" in him. He wants to bend the game towards him. Harden is more willing to sit back and share. So, we have to see if RW will play more efficiently. He has at times, but when the pressure is on, he tries to do too much. It is his instinct. Not sure that will change. We'll see.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. tmacfor35

We have already seen it with Kevin Durant. They are going to be really good.

8. rocketseagles07

It will be close. Right now I'd give okc the slight edge but we definitely have more depth.

Everyone is talking about offense... but the Roberson/George combination is gonna be a nightmare defensively especially for us.

NOBODY, not even kawhi guards harden better than Roberson.

9. rocketseagles07

The good thing is, as much as I wanted melo Anderson as 3rd option/spot up shooter is almost just as good. The big difference will be melo is a guy you can give the ball to and get out the way. Anderson, obviously is not that and when his shot isn't falling... he's pretty much useless

Little Bit likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes they will be good. BUT, that was KD's team with Westbrook. The team is now Westbrook's team with PG/Melo. The dynamic and role for RW has shifted from the KD days. This is important. That said, yes the team will be VERY good.

11. tmacfor35

How good do you think? I think they can beat GSW in 6 or 7 games. So much wing defense.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, when you look at the 3/4 spots with Ariza/Tucker/Moute/Anderson you basically have spot up shooters. I would love to see the Rockets add a 3/4 that can do more than just spot up. Someone that can put the ball on the floor. That was what Melo would have brought.

Joe Johnson? Tobias Harris? Perhaps guys like that. @Codman alluded to them in the past.

Little Bit likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Did you feel that way before the Melo addition? How much did adding Melo to OKC move the needle for you?

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he got the ball more than ultra efficient KD

roslolian likes this.
  15. tmacfor35

No I did not, and the reason was that I think Melo is actually prepared to contribute winning basketball to someone.

16. rockets13champs

2017 average predictions
    Cp3 22-12
    Harden 29-10
    Ariza 10
    Ryan 16-8r
    Capela 14-12r

OKC
    RWB 25-12r-9a
    george 24 ppg
    melo 20 ppg
    adams 12-8r

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

My only concern with them is that they can really disrupt Harden with Roberson and they can also throw George at him. Paul should be able to put in work against Westbrook though.

Our bench is miles better, but depending on how well Anthony adjusts to his new role, he may be the difference. Could go either way at this point.

amaru and rocketseagles07 like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Having Roberson AND George to defend Harden is a problem. But if OKC finished 4th, it won't be an issue in the playoffs. Now, if getting Melo moves them from 4th to 3rd (or 2nd) then yeah, it could be an issue.

amaru likes this.
  19. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Is Sam Presti greater than Daryl Morey?

20. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Yes