1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump and sports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What does Trump think about this Melo situation

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I'm engaged to a Hispanic woman, and two of my best friends are black. I label myself as moderate politically and I was raised in an area where It was 1:1 black and white. It was not a conservative town whatsoever. I supported Trump because he wasn't Hilary at the time and it is what we have to work with for the next several years. Both of my African American buds knew I voted for Trump and do not label me a racist of any sort.

One of my good friends just committed suicide. He was a marine who toured two times in Afghanistan and had several confirmed kills. When we would go out and drink he would express all the pain and regret he had built up for the things he did that his country asked him too. I spent many hours talking to him on the phone when he was down to let him know it would be ok and he is gone. My brother is in the Middle East right now(Marine).

I'm not going to get behind these spoiled athletes who disrespect our country by kneeling to the anthem and talk like this country is so terrible while they are making millions doing what they love. They do it for attention because when it comes to them doing things when the TV isn't on they are sitting at home in their mansions not giving a crap.

The issue with this country is simple. There are too many ungrateful people who are considered role models.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

They wouldn't disrespect the country if they didn't think the country disrespects them.

HakeemOnlyFan and CallMeTheDream like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

Yeah let me tell you how many times a player has thanked God or pointed up to the sky after a big play or did the cross on his chest before a game and he got totally hated for it.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Our country was founded on this, and people in the military fight and die for this...

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, the country that made them 1%ers....they are so oppressed with the knowledge that if they attack a police officer they might get shot for it.

Anyone who supports these knuckle dragging r****ds in their publicity stunt BS is worse than they are.

7. tmacfor35

I like some of you so much more in other forums.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lol. They only became 1 percenters against all odds given where they came from due to their 1 in a million physical gifts. Now if they had been lucky enough to be born in a better country with social safety nets, less institutional racism, and better economic mobility perhaps they wouldn't have had to be gifted athletes in order to get out of the cycle of poverty.

9. NewRoxFan

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So in your mind, the only way people can escape the "cycle of poverty" is to be a gifted athlete? No other way?

Really all it takes to escape the cycle of poverty is to not make bad decisions with respect to drugs, crime, or having children early, don't drop out of school, and to get a job. Now sure, it won't mean that you'll be as rich as the whiny babies who are professional athletes....but most people aren't, they are really high in the top 1%....but your options aren't binary. It's not either be one of the highest wage earners in this country or be poor.

It's funny though, your argument sounds like you aren't talking about people from America....so delusional.

11. tmacfor35

Oh My Gosh.
    This is probably the worst post ive seen on the D&D.

12. NewRoxFan

13. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

And I see him as standing up against what he see as injustice, peacefully. When someone protest, you want it done this way and not through violence. This is fully protected by our constitution. Even if you disagree, you at least understand the right and have respect for the exercise of that right.

Trump, as POTUS, sworn to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution is a disgrace for calling this person to be fired given the person peacefully exercising his right. Given his recent comments of 'some very fine people' (ref nazi/white nationalist) during the recent violent white nationalist rally and his history, it's not at all far off to call him a racist.

14. tmacfor35

There are better ways to do things. This we can all agree on.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Have you seen how difficult the country of America makes it for poor people to make good decisions?

16. Buck Turgidson

I'm not sure that's one of the top 100 problems facing this country.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

my problem with kneeling is basic professional behavior to not be a distraction in the workplace or bringing any negative attn on your employer

that being said, I hated when Obama felt the need to express judgement on the behavior of private citizens, and Trump is just as bad if not worse

your job is to protect our rights, not to weigh in on our behavior

but most people don't share my view, and this will help Trump politically, because voters are dumb

18. tmacfor35

Maybe not literally but it's the root of the major problems.

19. NewRoxFan

Kaep and his fellow athletes in a completely legal and peaceful way have the attention of the media, the nation, and the president tweeting about their grievance. What better way to bring attention to a grievance would you suggest?

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Poor people make good decisions every day, they might not get the same return on it as others, but it's better here than most places. In any case this is about pro athletes responding to a government official's complaints about their political protest.