1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. theh

theh Member

Portland seems pretty boring. Melo not going there.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

plus their team is nowhere near as good as ours, they don't have 1 of Melo's best friends in CP3, and they don't have a superstar like Harden

it's not happening

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i mean, even in the scenrario where Melo decides to waive the no trade for other teams, why Portland? Cleveland would make twice more sense, he would play in a better team, with Lebron, in a weaker conference, cloer to NY and his family...Portland just doesn't make sense.

I mean, i have no doubt that NY would like the Blazers as a trade partner since they would still be able to throw in a couple of interesting and young players (Harkless, Collins, Swanigan, Davis), more picks maybe...but from Melo perspective makes no sense. And that's why it didn't happen btw.

4. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I don't think OKC is talked about (even though it makes sense) because I believe Melo wants to opt in to the final year of his contract. If Paul George is really going to the Lakers and Westbrook not agreeing to the mega deal offer on the table, he doesn't want to be stuck in OKC by himself if doomsday comes for OKC. Just my thought

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I agree, plus I don't think he would enjoy living there...I'm surprised they didn't decide to run with this tweet and manufacture an OKC storyline tho

HakeemOnlyFan and Rocket Guy like this.
  6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Looming for them is the fact that he can bounce and they get nothing after the end of the season.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Ball balls out then where is the roster spot for (even if he's better) Westbrook? Just .askin'..

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How does Melo win by giving up his Bird Rights in a buyout vs a trade? How do the Rockets win by also losing Melo's Bird Rights in a buyout vs trade? How are we to resign him and how is he supposed to recoup the money he lost by agreeing to the buyout. He'd have to look long and hard at signing with a team with cap space next Summer.

How did this buyout stuff get resurrected? It started in May/June mainly as something for Cleveland to do. It's never been a reasonable thing for Melo or NY or Houston to do. Ppl keep forgetting Melo loses his Bird Rights. A trade is Sooooooo much better for him, it's not even close, and he has to agree to the buyout.

9. onreego

onreego Member

Oh they would have ran with that and put money on it if it wasn't Bill. ESPN's not gonna give him any attention after their breakup.

HakeemOnlyFan, sammy and DonKnock like this.
  10. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

Even Ian( Knicks mouthpiece) Begley just said that Carmelo as of now only wants to go to Houston.

11. PatBev

PatBev Member

Between Westbrook & Melo
    I could see the hype but doesn't make sense for Melo. I see him as a guy who wants his last years to have meaning and rebuild his name as a champion.

He doesn't want to go to a team where the only two stars might bounce and he team surfs his final years

Haven one of your best friends and two top 3 playmakers makes a lot more sense

12. rockets13champs

Houstons next famous baby

13. rockets13champs

14. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Baby update I forgot to mention.

So the OB/GYN said my wife is not dialating at all so little man isn't close yet but the doctors at the hospital are targeting between the 27th and 30th for delivery. His original due date is the 4th of October.

Anyway Melo will be here when my son is born so hold tight and give little man a little more time.

15. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Congrats on the baby, man.. My birthday is on October 2, so maybe he might share it with me if he decides to wait a bit longer.

16. PatBev

PatBev Member

What is with this chick. Tyga and Travis Scott might be two of the ugliest dudes I've seen in Hollywood

17. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

But they still have the right for a reasonable package in return.

18. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Would be awesome to have a birth, birthday and Melo trade to celebrate on the same day.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

This is how I would be feeling if i was a knicks fan right now.

If I was a knicks fan i wouldn't even trip or think ryno's that bad.

I would just get rid of melo to move on with a new project and get a lil bit of flippable young prospects (zhou chinanu) and a pick or 2 with ryno and start tanking/asset collecting while developing the young guys.

No matter what new york is going to suck for the next 4 years. The return they get for melo isn't going to be directly relevant to their future as a rebuilding team. Other decisions down the line made by this regime will impact the knicks more than this melo decision IMO (like who they draft after they tank and things like that).

They need to focus on just asset collecting and rebuilding for the next 4-ish years IMO. Ryno when he has 1 year left at 20 mil might even get them better return 2 years from now then melo gets them now considering there won't be any drama or NTC with ryno.

Ryno is a decent player that I liked on the rockets throughout the year. We will absolutely be needing him to play well for us this year if we don't get melo.

The only argument that I can see against it is if knicks fans think they need cap space immediately in hopes of a chance to sign a superstar free agent within the next 2 years to put next to porzingis but I tend to doubt that just yet.

porzingis is 22 and he'll be 24-25ish before a badass mature free wants to join him and by that time ryno will be gone plus they will be in a better position of asset collecting (their own tanking 1st round picks for the next 2ish years) and cap space.

If new york does it right then there's really no reason why this melo deal should prevent them from having a bad future.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I watched about 20 minutes of this and think they are full of it. They seemed very uncomfortable when answering questions about Melo. It feels like posturing to me. I don't believe for one second that they truly want Melo in camp or with the team anymore.

That Knicks staff looks like a train wreck to me. Makes me appreciate what we have with the Rockets even more than I already did.