1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will tanking be an option under Fertitta?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Sep 9, 2017.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Obviously, this is not about NOW or even the near future. Hopefully, it'll be years before this becomes an issue again, but I'm thinking down the road a ways. If we get into a situation where we obviously need to rebuild, what will our options be?

Under Les, tanking to rebuild was never even considered. Those of you still in Houston who know Tilman's personality better than those of us unfamiliar with him, do you think he's the type to okay a tank-to-rebuild plan?

P.S. Yes, it's still the off-season. I'm bored waiting to see Melo in Rockets' red.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

this was addressed on the latest Locked on Rockets podcast

topfive exposed as someone who's not a regular listener :eek:

Lawlruschang, malakas, robgue and 5 others like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Well, ****. In my own defense, I was on vacation in San Diego last week, and the sunshine required my full attention.

Plowman, Jontro, Lawlruschang and 4 others like this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Ive had this thought before too. Hopefully we arent in that position for another 5-7 years

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He tanks nice family restaurants to build big chain restaurants

(Disclaimer) I don't care how this guy got rich. He loves Houston

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. Coach E

Coach E Member

I believe so.

Tanking is the actually the best thing to do if your not going to be contending for a championship.

I would rather have two to three years of top 5 picks then 4-5 years of 10-14 range. Most GMs and owners have realized this and it's becoming the norm. Honestly it's more fun tanking as well, you get a high pick which keeps you interested leading up to the draft and even watching young players with potential in a losing effort is more fun then a 41-41 team.

peleincubus and Know Your Role like this.
  7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Welcome back from hibertnation coach

2015/2016 to now

it's like you missed everything in between

BigShasta and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. roswell raygun

Adam Silver hates the idea of tanking, and the rules are going to be changed. By the time the Rockets are in that position again, it will be too hard to rebuild by tanking.

Fullcourt likes this.
  9. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

If you tank it means you suck, so I'm not really sure how you could classify that as being "fun". Even if you get a top 5 pick it's not as if that pick is guaranteed to take your team to new heights, plus there is the whole lottery element which could leave you screwed out of the pick you wanted...you know because basketball reasons and stuff. Sure, playing the lottery can be fun but drafting smart can still net you great players without having to succumb to such unsavory tactics, Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler say hello.

Ultimately, if you want to run a successful franchise I think the most important thing is to create a winning environment where players, coaches, scouts, front office, all want to come join your team. You don't do that by tanking, you do that by showing the rest of the league that winning is a priority.

10. Know Your Role

I think we have to home grow players here, spending big on free agents has not gotten us to the finals. We'll never be a desired destination for the best available players. We're just not, it's not a knock against the city.

It took Hakeem and a rag tag group of hard working players with something to prove to get us there in the 90's. I'd like to see that sort of approach in the post Harden era whenever that is.

11. Garner

Garner Member

I sure AF hope so.

Had not thought about this, but it's a fundamental shift we could possibly see in new mgmt

topfive and don grahamleone like this.
  12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

well imagine if paul leaves for the nana ride, and harden has a half way season injury. Ariza contract gets traded for picks, Capela becomes the goto, with ryan anderson. You tank the year, no? I dont know you tell me.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Topfive, you're killing me... I can't stand the idea of tanking after fighting to get where we are! The late Francis/Mobley and early Yao years were rough. I never want to do that again! Good thing is that the new lottery rules might dissuade teams from doing that in the future.

topfive likes this.
  14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He's almost offended...
    [​IMG]

Know Your Role likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Daryl Morey turned Carl Landry into James Harden

Tanking is not needed

photojoe and Scarface like this.
  16. Know Your Role

I didn't want to ramble on to long in my post, but yeah Clyde was the blockbuster acquisition exception. However since he was from Houston and a UH legend, he knew what he was getting into by coming to the Rockets. He fought hard on the court, had a chip on his shoulder, and was starving for a ring. He knew how to save himself for the big moments and he delivered on cue. His game 6 vs San Antonio is the only game 6 against the Spurs we should ever mention.

Jontro likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

If there's anyone who can navigate around tanking, it's Morey. But don't forget he said his analysis says that tanking is the fastest way to rebuild a team into a contender. Morey wanted to tank, but his hands were tied by Les. Maybe Morey would have a different take now, but something tells me he'd still want to go the model that makes the most sense statistically.

Again, none of this matters at the moment because we're sitting pretty, especially if we can pry Melo from the cold, dead fingers of that once-proud Knicks franchise. Nothing lasts forever, though.

I just keep thinking of Danny Ainge and that pile of young players and high draft picks. If that punk can tank into a winner, Morey certainly can.

18. rockets13champs

No

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oil tanking.

20. alethios

alethios Member

^^^This...end of discussion