1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. baubo

baubo Member

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the deadline in terms of being able to then re-trade a player due to the 2 month rule when you want to include a player to aggregate salary. Since the deadline is 2/17 and the earliest you can receive a player signed as a FA is 12/15 you essentially must make a move at the time in order to have max flexibility once again at the deadline. He mentioned how if you trade later you're stuck with the player, which implies that he was speaking in terms of what you can do again later in the season.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's not their trade deadline and he didn't mean that.

he doesn't take trades off the table if they don't work then....that wouldnt be "remaining flexible". He didn't say that. He was just saying that he wished more GMs were ready to move when the trade season for many players begins on Dec 15th. He thinks it's better for coaching to do your trades earlier. It's makes coaching more flexible...gets feedback earlier, chemistry etc.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

December 15 is the jumping off point since that's the FIRST day you're eligible to trade newly signed players. It's not a deadline.

4. rockets13champs

Bruhh. December 15th is an artificial deadline Rockets make themselves. Rockets like to make any needed moves by then so they can make a 2nd trade if need be by deadline. Bc if u Acquire a player by then. They become eligible to be traded again by that Feb 8 deadline

chenjy9 likes this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He did mean that. WOJ made the point that the Rockets use an earlier artifical deadline to remain flexible by re-trading.

6. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

You're getting confused. The deadline you're referring to is usually dec 19. Dec 15 is when players signed over the summer can start to be traded. Thus, there's a small window players on new deals can be traded and then eligible for another trade in feb.

joshuaao likes this.
  7. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

How about they just get it done by training camp. I like the sound of that.

sammy and bawanyh like this.
  8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Baseball waiver deadline is August 31st, can we use that one?

Plowman and MadMax like this.
  9. heypartner

You can retrade a player at anytime. You just can't aggregate him in salary for 2 month. And yeah, he never actually said Dec 15th. That's a different type of deadline which is more of a beginning line for trades, than an ending.

If you think that minor bit of added flexibility (to aggregate salaries to retrade someone who you just got) is what he meant, then OK, I see your point.

That would be important for guys tossed into a trade, who you don't care that much about, and later want to aggregate at the deadline. But I think it's very rare to do something like a Lou Williams trade earlier then say....you know what, this isn't working out let's trade him again ... and we have to aggregate him. I suppose a scenario of getting Lou early, then some big name coming available at deadline and you need Lou to make the trade work.

J_Hunter_1977 and DonKnock like this.
  10. heypartner

guys can be retraded at any time. They just can't be aggregated in salary for two months. So, the "mid-december" advantage is when you want to preserve ability to aggregate salaries. Think about Lou Williams. I think getting him on board early is more about flexiblity for the coach, which is preferred for getting the team together earlier than it is for Morey to later say, whoops, this isn't working, let's trade Lou again *and* we need to aggregate him. That seems rather rare.

Note: aggregating salaries doesn't mean a retrade player can't be in a multi-player deal. He can. As they can be designed as multiple, individiual trades. Larry Coon has examples of how ppl incorrectly think the no-aggregation means the player can't be part of big deals.

I can see that need to aggregate minor, role players in trade, though. Maybe you do a big trade in mid-Dec with some add-on players who you might want to trade again at the deadline...and in aggregate to match one large contract. And I can see the desire to have Lou, yet keep flexibility if a big name player comes up, so you can still use Lou in an aggregated trade.

But honestly, I think Morey more wants trades just happening earlier for the coach and team and chemistry, and is using this minor point about not being able to aggregate salaries as reason he gives other GMs to actually have CBA reasons to trade earlier.

Matt78777 and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

December 15 is 6 days from the Winter Solstice. Terrence Jones wore #6 for the Rockets. CARMELO CONFIRMED!!!

Jontro and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  12. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

• On melo's wiki page it has #7 Houston rockets lol

13. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

14. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  15. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Its all one big conspiracy. Lol.

16. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

About 2 hours away from 5:45 Hawaii time.

It's happening.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Not everyone we would trade would be cut. If it was a straight up, we'd have to include Onuaku and Isaiah. Don't think New York would cut those two.

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Pretty much what I am bro. I got flagged for something I said 2 years ago. My updates usually r never trades. More Tmz ishhhh. @FTW Rockets FTW knows.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.