1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. cebu

cebu Member

The Shack - Perfect 10.

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Wonder Woman - 8.4/10
    Spider-Man: Homecoming - 8.5/10
    War for the Planet of the Apes - 8.7/10
    Dunkirk - 9.5/10

Solid slate of summer movies

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Colossal: 1 - * SPOILER WARNING * I thought it might be more fantasy, like hallucinations but it was just a huge joke. Why it was called an action / comedy is beyond me and ironic. It's more psycho then anything! So here's why it's horrible: an actual monster who shows up in Seoul when Anne Hathaway and later Jason Sudeikis walks in this specific playground part of a park she goes to every morning in her hometown in the US. The monsters do as they do. The beginning shows some promise, but don't be fooled. In the end it's pretty sadistic, about control and people who are deeply disturbed. They even try to trace back the current events to something that happened during childhood, which in normal films works but not in this one. It's so weird, it's laughable and I guess a quick cash and grab for Anne and Jason Sudeikis. The acting was actually not that bad, which is why I gave it a 1 and not a 0.

The Mummy
    : 7 - I don't get the hate for this one, it was solid. I liked this more mysterious thriller version than the original action-adventure version, except for Tom Cruise as the main actor. He pretty much kills the vibe of the movie at times since I cannot take him seriously. The story is the power, not the action, though there is plenty of great scenes. I liked the last part the most as it has some twists I didn't expect. This actually saved it for me and kept it mediocrity, because re-makes or something that's been done so recent are rarely great movies and it was not that memorable. I'd recommend it, though keep expectations low.

Pirates of the Caribbean 5: 7.5 - * SPOILER WARNING * - Disappointing was my first reaction, mainly the plot, but there is still enough for it to be a good movie. I expected more Orlando Bloom and the old crew, but maybe it's good to keep it further from the original trilogy than probably most fans hoped for. It was a mix of old with new and while they tried to re-capture the magic, the new was what made it good. I wasn't impressed with Barbossa this time around, neither with Jack Sparrow.

There's some great scenes, some knee-slapping jokes, but overall Sparrow's character seemed forced. He's just not the same person, so in some ways they should've let the character evolve. We cannot expect Johnny Depp to be as good as 10 years ago when the last of the trilogy came out. Salazar and his crew is something amazing from a graphic stand point. Salazar seemed a lot scarier in the trailer, the whole movie I expected to be darker, but still a nice character that caries the story.

Kong Skull Island
    : 8.5 - I was pleasantly surprised it was not just bout King Kong. The graphics, other monsters and story are all pretty good. I loved John C. Reilly in this and of course Samuel L. Jackson had his usual fire and really added something extra to his character. To me, the only downside is it could've been more, more fighting scenes, more crazy monsters, longer scenes and more mystery even. A great movie that could've been even better.

War for the Planet of the Apes
    : 10 - WOW! The graphics, the story, the characters. Just amazing from every way you want to look at it. I expected the title to mean all out war, but it's a lot deeper and more about the evolution of the apes. Woody Harrellson was a pleasant surprise, just great acting all around and there is one particular ape who was also a nice surprise and gave the movie even something extra they never really had before. MUST SEE!!

#6883 OTMax, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  4. hvic

hvic Member

it is a lot better than Jupiter Ascending with acting and entertainment wise. I still can't believe my gf made me watch Jupiter til this day.

J Sizzle likes this.
  5. cebu

cebu Member

Dunkirk - 6/10.

6. jsingles

jsingles Member

Rewatch and give it a deserved 8/10

7. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Dredd (2012)

Thought it'd be just popcorn, but damn the butter was rich.
    9/10

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I can't believe I'm not getting a "Created by..." credit on this. FML...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...86762/&usg=AFQjCNF0Xapu4Mg039_CuDqphgoaQkEs3w

donkeypunch likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Man, agreed! Ive seen this movie over 10 times and its still good. Ive even joined the cause for them to make a sequel but the support wasnt strong enough and it wont happen, sadly.

Sly stallone left a terrible taste in peoples mouths from "Judge Dredd", so "Dredd" never fully garnered enough box office attention(which it should have). Not until it hit DVD, did people realize it was a great ****ing movie.

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The Barkley Marathons (Netflix)

A documentary about a 100+ mile race on a marathon-long loop on and off trails in eastern Tennessee. The runners have 60 hours to complete five loops of an unmarked route through the mountainous woods. 40 people run it each year, with only about a dozen completing all five loops over 30 years of running the race.

The race founder and star of the movie is hilarious, and the race itself is brutal...most people can't finish one loop.

8/10

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

12. don grahamleone

I had jobs mowing people's lawns and delivering the paper as a kid, but my first job that I didn't run out of my own garage was at the local movie theater. Judge Dredd was in the theater at the time and my boss really F'd up the splicing (these movies used to show up in like 3 or 4 canisters and you had to splice them together with tape). So midway through the movie, the picture would slide down and the top half would be at the bottom and the bottom at the top. Fifteen minutes later, it would flip back and you'd have to adjust it again. So my job was to adjust Judge Dredd several times per shift from the projection room. If I didn't do my job quick enough, people came pouring out of the theater and getting their money back. I can't tell you how many times I've seen that movie, but it's enough that I eventually liked it or at least appreciated it for some ungodly reason. There's no way that I like it other than the story behind it because that movie was a turd sandwich. And I guess it kept me from serving popcorn and actually learning something about film first hand. I'm still a filmmaker to this day.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. eric.81

obviously, I didn't do anything!

14. don grahamleone

I didn't ask because I understood your nuances. Did you come up with it or not? Did they pay you already or not?

15. Buck Turgidson

John Wick had a script?

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ha. Not so much a script as a choreographer.

17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

spiderman 6.5/10
    Dunkirk 7/10

18. eric.81

no, I didn't come up with the idea for John Wick, but I mentioned how cool it would be if they made The Continental Hotel the setting for a TV show. Obviously, I had an idea that probably 100,000 others also had. Since I'm just a nobody in Houston who told my idea a random group of people on a message board, my version of the show was unfortunately not greenlit.

I wasn't being serious. Apparently sarcasm and subtext (and humor!) are not my forte.

19. don grahamleone

No they're not, but I'm sure I would have gotten all that in person. Text is limiting. That would have been funny if I knew you were joking in the first place, so... maybe humor is you.

eric.81 likes this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hacksaw Ridge: 7.5/10
    Enjoyed it. Never knew the story so was blown away by that aspect of it. Visually stunning at times but didn't love the acting throughout.

Passengers: 5.1/10

I did like it so I gave it a 0.1 bump just to be above 5. Film had it's perks but a lot of forced moments that kind of wore on me. Was very interested in the scientific aspect of all of it. JLaw was bearable, used just right. I'm so turned off by her because of the XMen stuff so was refreshing how little she bothered me.