1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks committed to completing deal with rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 18, 2017.

1. mockster

mockster Member

2. zksb09

zksb09 Member

Speculative, but interesting.
    "The capped-out Blazers are trying to get under the luxury tax, but this move also could be clearing the way for another trade. The Blazers had been rumored to be a willing third-team trade partner in talks with the Knicks and Rockets that would send Carmelo Anthony to Houston. One holdup has been trying to find a team to absorb Houston forward Ryan Anderson’s contract."

#1642 zksb09, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  3. threepointshot3

He actually was not a bad player.Hustled hard and played good enough defense to not be a tottal liability out there

4. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

That's exactly what it was. Original snap had some caption saying like coming home from Asia which the person cropped to troll

5. sammy

sammy Member

We can't offer the 20 first until the 2018 pick to LAC "settles."

It's not in play

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Harkless + Ed Davis should basically work for Portland if they take back Anderson, Harkless has a 10Mx3 year deal, Davis is expiring and i don't think they're going to pay him anyway next summer so, might be a good idea to trade him, and he should be a decent option for the Knicks or a fourth team as a back up 4/5

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

can't it be traded contingent on our 2018 pick being conveyed to LAC? ie. if for some reason we win the draft lottery next year, then our 2020 pick to NYK just moves to 2021 instead?

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

I thought other, later 1st round picks (one pick in this case; 2020?) would be in play if we dropped the protections on the 1st rounder we owe the Clips.

9. The Cat

The Cat Member

Yeah, I think there's got to be another shoe dropping in Portland.

I get that even without another move, it gets them out from a bad contract (Crabbe) and avoids a crazy luxury tax bill. That said, Lillard and McCollum are very much in "win now" mode (as evidenced by their recruitment of Carmelo), and if a super wealthy owner instead goes the complete opposite direction and removes a viable rotation player for no benefit whatsoever other than his bank account... that's not going to go over well.

Now, it doesn't mean the other move coming is necessarily Ryan Anderson or anything to do with a Carmelo deal... but until it happens, it's certainly fair to wonder. Combine that with the Mike Rice tweet from Monday night, and it's all very interesting.

DonKnock, BigMaloe and sammy like this.
  10. sammy

sammy Member

I have no idea what settling means, but I know we aren't able to trade any future pick until the 18 one has.

11. Coach E

Coach E Member

We can 100% trade our 2020.

The rule is you can't trade consecutive first round picks and they can't overlap with protections.

I'm not sure how protected the 2018 is, but we can easily make it work

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Paul Allen's net worth is $20B so not sure if his motivation is to save a few bucks on luxury tax

Richie_Rich and BigggReddd like this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not sure, so will defer to you guys. but i would generally think we could include language in a trade contract to satisfy the 2020 pick obligation in a subsequent year should our 2018 not get conveyed to LAC

14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

You CAN trade consecutive 1st rounders if you have another one from a different source.
    You just can't be without A 1st rounder two consecutive years.
    Doesn't matter whose it is.

15. MadMax

MadMax Member

Love the avi

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

They're $2.9M over the lux tax line. If they could swap Noah Vonleh for Nanu, that gets them close, especially if they can tie it to a Ryan Anderson for Harkless + Meyers Leonard (which doesn't solve the no one wants Meyers Leonard problem). Or a Harkless + Ed Davis + Vonleh is at least salary neutral.

If you really want a good conspiracy theory -- Shabazz Napier makes $2.3 million, and Portland wouldn't mind dumping him after a disappointing season. Guess who also happened to be playing in the UCLA workouts with Harden and co.?

#1656 NIKEstrad, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

It's probably not so much about protecting his pocketbook as it is ensuring the team has room to maneuver. Or looking back and saying, "You know, this is a bad investment, cut me loose of it."

I remember a summer ago when these grotesque contracts were being handed out (although we still had some Tim Hardaway Jr-type deals this year). Yes, those contracts were the new norm in the new-TV-contract era, but it didn't take a genius to see that buyer's remorse would come calling. Seriously, I don't know what Portland's management was thinking when they paid Crabbe and Turner (and somebody else, can't remember). "If we don't pay them, someone else will"?

18. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Not sure if I can handle another day of Clutchfans getting off to fake insiders

fryjol7, Fullcourt and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  19. zigzag

zigzag Member

Agree. I think it's very likely that Houston and Portland has already figured out a solution and are ready to move forward. The only thing pending is that NY still try to trade Melo for Irving even if they have 0 chance. It's like the last leverage they could use against Rockets and they won't let it slip away without trying.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member