1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Seven

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jul 12, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So far no one has hated on the show for giving fan service, just pointed out that it happened/is going to happen.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't hate it. I'm just not expecting a Ned Stark, Red wedding, They chopped Jaime's hand off, Hold the door, moment any more.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm sure you'd acknowledge the difference between discussing a real-life sports team based in reality, and this...

You said before that they should still operate in a world that is "logical"... and yet the magic that exists in this series seemingly knows no bounds (people brought back from the dead, ancient prophecies hold true, dragons, faceless men, etc.).

I just find it comical that people complain about certain aspects of the show as being "unrealistic"... when the entire show is based on a fantasy world which doesn't make sense in reality.

In the end, its a form of entertainment that will appeal to some, not others... and within that subset there will be good parts and parts that seemingly make no sense, but may not be enough to dissuade that person from watching the show.

5. justtxyank

That's a cop out defense though. The world in the show still has structure to it, it's just different than ours. Yes they have magic, but they still need to feed armies. We know that matters in this world because they've said it. They've said resources matter. So when they acknowledge it matters in this world and then just ignore it, they are ignoring the logic of their own show.

Magic and fantasy elements don't make a story illogical when they exist in their own world. They don't use the same laws of the universe we do but they still have rules. Example? They still need people to man ships. So it's illogical that an island that was already short of people that lost a chunk of them to a war and another chunk to Yara could somehow manage to man 1,000 ships.

Anyway, don't worry about me enjoying the show. I love the show and really liked the episode. I just have minor issues with an EXCELLENT show and I see that they are struggling with the narrative they are working in now that they don't have the book.

BigM likes this.
  6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Would be awesome if Tyrion set the Sand Snakes up for killing Myrcella as a way to repay his debt to Jamie for letting him out of prison.

At least that'd be more interesting than "you have my axe" moments with Dany.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The whole "fantasy shows don't have to make sense" argument is a ridiculous one

Just because there are fantastical elements, it doesn't mean that time and logic don't apply.

8. Anticope

Anticope Member

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Are they really struggling?

Do you see how subjective all of this really is?

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I see it more as because it didn't happen in the books, it needs to be questioned.

Plenty of stuff that actually happened in the books was open to this sort of scrutinizing... but it doesn't really happen because its not going to take away from one's enjoyment of a fantasy-reality.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dayum Euron is stronger than he looks. That was an Are you not entertained Moment!

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Euron is prolly going to propose big to Cersei, gift being the Dorne diva. The dickless remains of Theon is probably wandering around.

Where was Oleanna?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I actually liked Euron being the badarse, but he is still doomed.

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. justtxyank

Yes they are absolutely struggling with logically advancing the narrative.

Example: The Lords of the Reach, sworn to House Tyrell in open rebellion against the crown would never go meet unarmed with the Queen all together like that, particularly after what they all know happened at the Red Wedding and the Citadel. They'd be absolute fools.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dadda would do wonders for GOT.....

#395 daywalker02, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How do you know they were unarmed? Maybe their guards were right outside, and they all passed some sort of pre-screening process prior to entering the throne-room.

I really don't comprehend how you're enjoying the show if something like THAT ends up bothering you.

17. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Guys guys, don't you guys realized the island has been featured in another tv show...

[​IMG]

The island is obviously mystical and created tons of clones and resources, and jacob is really Euron... o_O

Kidding aside, obviously there are lapses in logic... I tend to try look past and just enjoy the show :D. Wow... Missadei!!

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

i think he is taking it too far.
    you have to know when to stop questioning every damn thing in a show.

19. justtxyank

Every damn thing? You act like it's some small detail like the silly "who's mowing the lawn" stuff in Walking Dead.

That meeting was extremely important as it is laying the groundwork for how the Lannisters will knock out House Tyrell.

As to how we know they weren't armed? We could see them! LOL. The Lannisters could have wiped all of those Lords in 10 seconds.

"Bothered me" is wrong too, it didn't "bother me." I expected it. They got backed into a narrative corner and need to get out of it. They can't have Cersei surrounded by all these people more powerful than her it would be anti-climatic for the show. So they came up with a quick way to make it go away and stuck it one episode. I actually appreciate that they don't make us sit through an entire season of them trying to unwind the ball. Dorne has been a problem for the writers all along and it's actually the fault of GRRM. From what I understand (remember, I'm not a book guy) he made that whole thing so complicated that it is stupid. The show needed to get out of it. I appreciate that both times they've wrapped up Dornish storylines they did a bandaid approach and just ripped them out.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You seem to be claiming logic for yourself and ignoring similar unlikely allegiances due to Magic.

wrt to Logic and oathbreakers happening too easily that give Cersie unlikely power again:
    • Magic is what caused the wildlings and Night Watch to cast asides centuries of hatred to work together. That Magic is the White Walkers and the fear they bring
    • Now we have Magic causing further unlikely new allegiances at Kings Landing....the fear of the Dragons to rally humans together who otherwise shouldn't be teaming up.
    I think you might be claiming the Logic card purely on whether GRRM explained it to you or not.

If you're OK with the first breaking of oaths, because GRRM wrote a novel about it to fully explain it to you, then I don't see a logical inconsistency with the later -- which brings us back to how the Magic of the show can logically cause the unlikely to happen -- it this case, out of survival and mistrusting the dragon queen who brought easteros armies with her. Foreign armies can throw the established order into unpredictability tfor the 7 kingdoms; it adds chaos for the Kings. True, Cersie just threw it into disarray, too,. But even the North voted against talking to Dany, and it took the Magic of the Dragon Glass to make Jon rule against that "logic."

Again, the Magic of the shows changes the logic of how people make alliances.

Point is: Magic is totally controlling the logical decision the characters are making. And I have to believe if GRRM can convince you that it makes since for Wild Lings to trust the Night Watch king, because of Magic, he could convince you Cersie could also rally unlikely allegiances around fear of another Magic.

So, are you just claiming Logic for yourself here? It makes perfect sense to me that Cersie can convince someone not to bend a knee to Dany and her magical dragons when she's teamed up with Dothraki invaders who live to sack, pillage and rape their conquests. Their only other choice really is to abandon ship Reek-style.