1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord Announced: Actress Jodie Whittaker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Jul 17, 2017.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord Announced: Actress Jodie Whittaker

Peter Capaldi, the 12th Doctor Who, had said that he wanted to see a woman replace him in the Tardis, and so did former Doctor Who stars Billie Piper and Karen Gillan. And today it's official: "the 13th incarnation of Doctor Who will be portrayed by an actress," writes Slashdot reader Coisiche -- specifically Jodie Whittaker, who American viewers may remember from her performance as CIA officer Sandra Grimes in the 2014 mini-series "The Assets." The BBC reports:

Doctor Who's new showrunner said the 13th Doctor was always going to be a woman -- and that Whittaker was their first choice. "Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role." Doctor Who #12 added that Whittaker "has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She's going to be a fantastic Doctor." And Will Howells, who writes for the Doctor Who magazine, said "I don't think it's a risky choice at all but if a show that can go anywhere and do anything can't take risks, what can?"

B-Bob likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I was a huge fan but Steven Moffat ran the franchise into the ground with poor writing and I stopped watching 3-4 years ago.

Wish her the best.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It was always a little ridiculous that a being that could transform into any random human was always an english white male,

The bigger problem is the terrible writing and random plot devices to solve problems that has become a hallmark since near the end of Matt Smith's run.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

For me, I checked out after Tennant left. I watched intermittently with Smith and Capaldi, but not with real zeal or vigor. I hope this is not just a ploy to get viewers back on, and legitimately it fits with where they want to go with the franchise. I'm a bit jaded though, and fear it could be just that. That being said, I'm ignorant to the Who universe currently, so I could be 100% of base here.

JunkyardDwg likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I was out after Matt Smith. I tried with Peter Capaldi, but I didn't like him at all. I'm down for this change.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Capaldi was flat. Just didn't make me feel like I wanted to watch. Also, some of the coolest characters got little to no time. Like the Master. I mean, I wanted more standoffs, more problems with him/her. I would have welcomed that.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

no more old dudes

DreamShook likes this.
  10. hooroo

hooroo Member

it's been building for sometime but the doctor who revival series has finally reached peak cissy (south park reference).

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Yep. After tennant, I stopped watched. Moffat was a disaster. I don't blame the actors.

New actress seems fine, but I fear show runners will make show about the fact the doctor is a woman which is uninteresting to me.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was not into smith but came back . .. did not care for Calpadi either
    but
    I now realize everyone is right .. the WRITING has been sucking

His most recent companion was ok but seems to have more control and influence over him than any before
    and
    the ending of the last season was such an eye rolling bullshit steam

Rocket River

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Not onboard with this "new Doctor" because it strikes me as a gimmicky change. Not that you can't a woman can't play the Doctor but can they make her believable as the Doctor? My vote is "No". They've already had a female Time Lord character (Missy) and she was absolutely terrible - especially during the last season (which RR so accurately described above). I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't all that enthused with Capaldi because I hated his character in Torchwood: Children Of Earth (which BTW is another series that Moffat totally ****ed up) and I had a very hard time separating the two. I suppose he was sort of OK as the Doctor at the end but he was nowhere near as good as Tennant. A_3PO summed it up best about expecting the new producer to make this all about the Doctor being a female which I, also, am uninterested in seeing. I'll one of those who'll be skipping this train wreck next year.

14. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I checked out after the 5th doctor, but watched occasionally here and there just to see how the show changed... and it really didn't change that much.

For me the 4th doctor will always be the best.

Rocket River likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly .. . IF they wanted the Doctor to be a woman . . . .. they really should have found a way
    to merge him with Alex Kingston . . .aka. . . River Song
    She was by far one of the most interesting characters and she had the personality and charisma to pull it off

Honestly. . . The new Lady looks too . .. "Cute" "Pretty"
    The doctor has always been a odd looking odd ball of a person
    in dress and features. . . . . .He's never been "classically handsome" character

I don't know any of her previous work
    I will give it a eye for a few episodes but not expecting much

and yes. . . THE 4th was the best of all time

Rocket River

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Someone was upset that the people were saying .. .
    I GUESS INSTEAD OF THE DOCTOR WE SHOULD CALL HER THE NURSE
    Which is a bad joke

However .. . I never understood why THE MASTER all of a sudden became just MISSY
    So they kind of set up the Doctor => Nurse joke thing

Rocket River

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Interesting that so many of us agree that #4 was the defining doctor, the best.

I have no problem with the new doctor but agree it's going to all hinge on the writing, and if the writing keeps sucking, it doesn't matter who your doctor is. Robert Duval. Cate Blanchet (sp). Whatevs.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's Dottore, not Dottoressa!!!!

Just kidding, I don't care so long as they are still ditching Moffat and so long as they bring in some competent writers that will do a better job.

19. likestohypeguy

Good. ALL classic sci fi should be rereleased, rewritten with strong female lead characters instead, who are also super funny.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Absolutely! Alex would have made a terrific Doctor but her character was too well established as River Song for them to pull this off. She had the panache to carry this off. For this scheme to have a chance of working they'll need to have a female Whovian as the creative mind in charge and since that's not the case we'll be getting a female Doctor as envisioned by (yet) another male. As I've pointed out, they've already screwed up the Missy character so what leads me to believe that they'll get it right this time?