1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New Ownership] What characteristics are important to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by today, Jul 17, 2017.

?

What characteristics would you like the new ownership to have? Choose your top 3.

Poll closed Jul 24, 2017.
  1. Hands-ON approach to basketball decisions

1.9%
  2. Hands-OFF approach to basketball decisions

48.8%
  3. Willingness to spend money (buying draft picks, paying tax, etc)

85.0%
  4. Loyalty to current management

54.4%
  5. Loyalty to the city of Houston

61.3%
  6. Loyalty to the Houston Rockets "Family" History

13.8%
  7. Individual Owner

6.9%
  8. Ownership Group

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ownership Group - With Famous People involved

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ownership Group - With Houston Athletes involved

3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Just make sure we don't get hoodwinked by the league and whomever buys the team like Seattle did.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

In addition, I need the new ownership to create a ClutchFans account and respond within 10 minutes when I @ them...

Reeko and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  3. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Getting melo

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This plus new uniforms.

tinman likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hands off approach and loyalty to current management are essentially the same thing.

justtxyank likes this.
  6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

keep it local. i want it sold to a houstonian, preferably a life long fan. nobody cares more about their team than hometown fans.

7. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I'm not a Houston-Native... hell I'm not even American, so no offense to Houstonians but I don't care if the Rockets move towns.
    In fact I'd very much welcome it IF we move to the east.

8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

The team is contractually bound to stay in Houston till 2033 so "loyalty to Houston" is at the bottom of my list..plus I'm from Arkansas haha. But it would be cool to have a Houstonian owner nonetheless

9. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Not necessarily. A new owner could overhaul the management (meaning they are not loyal to the current management) and remain "hands off" letting the new management do what they need to do. Both characteristics are not tied to each other.

I picked the following:
    Willing to spend - Show me a champion that didn't have a large payroll? This is universal to every team.
    Hands off - Let the people who know basketball do their thing. Again a very universal trait required for any team.
    Loyal to management - This is more Rockets' specific (not so universal to everyone). At the end of the day, we are going in the right direction to become a champion. Keep the current management in place so nothing changes. I think this trait is not important if you were a new owner of a struggling franchise. Say, the Knicks. Anyone who replaces dolan should be very disloyal to management. Get rid of them!

today likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

BOOOO!!! The Rockets will lose a fan if they leave this city. That would be too much for me to take.

Killatron 2000 and justtxyank like this.
  11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

In regards to hands on versus hands off, I think either can work - it's more about being intelligent and picking your spots to get involved, and pushing for good moves rather than Prokhorov-level bad ones.

Respect for Houston is a must. That's not to say you can't be an out-of-town guy and develop that respect, but one way or another you need to love the city back.

Willingness to cut the GM a blank check is dumb when the team is terrible, BUT vital when the team is close to contention.

12. valorita

valorita Member

His laugh
    (or her)

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah this is important. i couldn't believe that in game 6 of the second round we had a half empty lower bowl... embarrassing.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  14. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Deep Pockets

Les saw how LeBron wanted Miami and now Cleveland to spend into oblivion.

Now other star players want the same.

Les is getting out while he still has pants.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Haha, like I said no offense. I get it, if you're from Houston, you love your Rockets because they're your local team and have been for decades.
    I'm just making assumptions here, but your family probably all love the Rockets, so it's important they stay local to you.

To someone like me, from overseas, location doesn't matter. I chose to be a Rockets fan, I wasn't born into it, and I will always remain a loyal fan of this franchise no matter where it is situated.

On a side note, I have a friend who is a Pelicans fan. Technicaly, he's a Hornets fan since the Zo/Larry/Mugsy days and continued to be a fan until it became the Pelicans. Now he absolutely hates the Bobcats.. I mean the new Hornets. Funny that.

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Write checks, support Morey

Thats all

17. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Loyalty to the city
    Willingness to spend money and improve the team
    Hands off approach - That's what Morey is for

Jatman20 likes this.
  18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

make personnel decisions based solely on putting the best team on the floor - period.

(ie dont make personnel decisions based on marketing... base them on winning and the profits will come...)

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then with all respect due, drag your ass to an eastern team's sorry BBS and post there. We'll survive your absence, somehow. Just a suggestion.

#39 Deckard, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    tinman and Tha_Dude like this.
  20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Keep Morey and leave him alone....and Tad. Those two together made the Rockets the 3rd most profitable NBA team year in and out after the Lakers and Knicks. That's stupid. Even if you have a cheap owner, if you are making him money he is likely to spend something.