1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Bargain Point Guard Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The next PG on the squad will only need to be a situational/insurance guy who enters the rotation only in case one of the regular guards misses a game. Otherwise, I imagine that the two guard spots will be occupied some combination of Paul, Harden and Gordon.

If the team finds someone useful, though, I'm sure D'Anton will find a way to play the guy. After all, the team somehow fit Lou Williams into the rotation when the team already had Harden, Gordon and Beverley.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Loved Jason Terry's locker room presence but he's just old as dirt. Hopefully morey can find some diamond in the rough.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

yep. got injured and consequently out of shape. his ankles became chronically bad and it not only affects his ability to perform but also his ability to stay in shape it seems.

4. ilias

ilias Member

I'd look at Spencer Dinwiddie - the Nets may trade him as he won't get much time behind Lin and Russell. CJ Watson (waived by the Magic last week) would be my top choice among FAs. In terms of buyouts, worth looking at Dallas - too many PGs, Barea or Harris could be bought out.

Rodriguez, Sessions, Barbosa, Lawson and D Williams can still play 10-15 mins in regular season blow-outs, but aren't worth any meaningful time in the playoffs and some of them come with heavy baggage.

jch1911 likes this.
  5. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Dwayne Wade after the buyout. He'll be our Shaun Livingston. If not, Aaron Affalo.

#25 RocketsTerps, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

how about the Campazzo guy? Is there enough money for him? Though I think we need a taller backup PG..enough of the towel waver PG

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

with taylor and bobby brown pencilled in, i'm not so sure they'll sign another PG. they still could sign a PG, but there are decent bargains out there at other positions that might be too good to pass up for the minimum.

I'd look at (in no order): tony allen, beasley, spieghts, afflalo, barbosa, diaw, clark, bass, dunleavy.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There isn't anyone out there who's a better PG than even Eric Gordon. We're keeping Taylor, that's practically confirmed. Bobby Brown will not go away. I'd rather get someone who can play 3rd string SG - I would go for Clark or Barbosa, in that order. Who knows, maybe Clark can still develop.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I agree. Especially because adding another PG doesn't mean adding our backup PG. Our backup PG is Harden. So the next PG we add isn't really going to play a whole lot. We just need someone to fill minutes if Paul goes down while Harden is on the bench.

Considering all who is out there, I'd rather go with a young guy like Taylor that could turn into a nice asset for us if he takes the next step, rather than a declining, sub-par vet. We've got plenty of veteran leadership on our team, but we've sent most of our youth packing. I think this is a great opportunity for Taylor to learn behind the best in the game at his position. The kid's got talent; i think it's worth giving him a chance.

#29 Aruba77, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'd look at jerian Grant. I was interested in him when he came out of college... decent PNR and very good defense as a tall PG.

jch1911 and pippendagimp like this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Coach has said he wants to keep Taylor with the team this year. Specifically said not to send him to rgv.

Nook likes this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

Taylor is under ng contract so I think it'll be 'The Architect' Bobby Brown. I trust Bobby to come in and nurse a 25 point lead for six minutes in the fourth quarter

13. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

No money. He's not NBA proven. Too short.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Barbosa is a no brainier here at the vet min under D'Antoni

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Barbosa is the first person that comes to mind that's available and for cheap. He has the playoff experience and has been part of the system. Also is connected with players on the team. I don't think anyone else is comparable as far as those variables as a whole. If you're looking to win now, you backup pg isn't really someone that still is a project.

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

We already have GOATby Brown

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

We've already have one, let's make the other one come out of retirement!!!

PP come home!!!o_O

HTX Ninja likes this.
  18. Remlap

Remlap Member

Except EGo is more of a shooting guard.
    Looks like CP3, Taylor and 'My Prerogative' (Bobby Brown) for now @ PG

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

all injuries took its toll on him

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing to do with anyone else but injuries to himself. unfortunate because he was a premier pg in this league and incredibly tough to guard