1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I know right!!?? Everybody is gonna have to be patient on this. It will happen.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

$30M guaranteed is much easier to move than $61M, thus why the Rockets and Knicks went this route and have done the legwork to put this together. See Demarre Carroll, who was trash last season and has basically the same guarantee. With one future 1st (likely in the 20s) and a 2nd, they found a taker. And that was for all cap space! If the Knicks are willing to accept a contract, the draft considerations might be even less.

Ryan Anderson is a better player than Meyers Leonard, but for a non-contender, the value of that is marginal. The reality is that both players are negative assets from the standpoint of team-building, so moving a $30M guarantee should be significantly easier than moving a $61M guarantee.

Fullcourt and justtxyank like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Knicks would have no interest and not sure that Portland would be willing to give up Aminu even if it meant dumping Crabbe.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I say No. Quarterman is a guy I want on my team.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

even more tiring reading all these fuking BS posts attempting to claim ryno's contract is not the problem here. again, NOBODY is taking on that crap without throwing back equally or even worse crap in our faces.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  6. touring_low

touring_low Member

Not sure this been posted from Mr. Potato Head. Fkn Myers Leonard

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Portland just traded us Quarterman. Not sure why they would want him back so soon. Also don't think they would give up 2 of their key players just for basically Ryno.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I mean it's a piece-wise breakdown of what you already have in Melo if you're NYK. You get picks out of it, and more trade-able contracts.

If you're Portland, Aminu was rather meh last season. I think Ryno, while pricey gives you more than he and Crabbe gave you.

9. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Where did ryan anderson get the rockets, skip?

The rockets were 50-22 with ryan starting at PF, 3rd best in the nba and 5-5 without him...similar to their record the year before.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  10. justtxyank

[​IMG]

We have a team that WANTS Ryno. They have to send out salary to make it work and the Knicks won't take back the contract.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This should calm the fears of those fearing the role of a new GM in this. From Woj:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20004159/new-york-knicks-talk-sacramento-kings-scott-perry-gm-job

Vivi likes this.
  12. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

meyers had a 90/50/40% line 2 seasons ago, he was solid, got hurt

I wanted him here felt like him and mchale would be a good fit then, he fell off last year after contract but this dude is not no scrub

13. justtxyank

Portland likes Aminu and talked about how much a difference he made for them. Crabbe is not a tradeable contract for the Knicks. He's a worse contract than Ryan Anderson.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

okay i can appreciate this post, and agree it's going to be easier to move $30M versus $61M. but that $30M is truly dead money sitting on the bench because leonard is nowhere near being a rotation player for any team. obviously i hope someone will take it on, but right now nobody's here has really been able to propose a reasonable workable home for this scrub.

15. justtxyank

Apparently he basically quit and doesn't care at all anymore. Portland fans couldn't be more negative on him at this point.

weakfromtoday and bulkatron like this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so far nobody will take on that contract, which leaves us back at square one like i initially said

17. joshsemite

joshsemite Member

Wish we (Knicks fan) would just take Ryan Anderson's contract and take some of the young talent you guys have like Isiah Taylor, Hartenstein and Troy Williams. We live with RA's 20 mil for this year, and if we want to be FA spenders next year, we stretch him after the season (w 2 years left) at a cap hit of only 8 mil for the next 5 years. If he works in the system, even better. $$ no object for NYK. If we cut Melo now, we'd have 10 million against our cap for the next 5 years and we wouldn't have the young talent that we are getting. I wish there were a way we could add Cam Oliver to the mix, but someone explained to me that he can't be traded til December.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  18. justtxyank

Sure we have. Lots of people have put together proposals that make sense for the 4th team. The question is who is going to pay the draft pick to make it happen.

19. justtxyank

Except we have someone who wants to make the deal to get Ryan Anderson. They want him AND his contract.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If you're the Brooklyn Nets, would you be willing to take on Meyers Leonard (3yrs/$31.8 million remaining on his deal) STRAIGHT-UP in exchange for Andrew Nicholson (3yrs/$19.9 million remaining on his deal, assuming he picks up his player option in 2019-20)? No picks. Just taking on a higher-salaried player (presumably with a higher ceiling) for a lower-salaried player.

If so, and if we're assuming that Portland's involvement is simply to take on Ryan Anderson in exchange for Mo Harkless and Meyers Leonard (without taking any picks), then the Knicks could be swapping out Melo's $26 million+ deal for Harkless and Nicholson (a combined $16.5 million) and opening up nearly $10 million in additional cap room to use this season. How much draft pick compensation would it take to get New York to eat Nicholson's (as opposed to Leonard's) deal, taking into consideration that Harkless is on a value (or at least reasonable) contract and that Melo wants out badly and controls his destination?

Under this scenario, the trade would look something like this:

HOU gets: Carmelo Anthony
    NYK gets: Mo Harkless, Andrew Nicholson, draft picks from HOU?
    POR gets: Ryan Anderson, Shawn Long*
    BKN gets: Meyers Leonard, Tim Quarterman*
    * Quarterman and Long could go anywhere (except that Quarterman can't go back to POR)

IF this was a mutually agreeable trade for all parties, then I could see Brooklyn wanting to wait until it can utilize its cap room first. Once it is capped out, it can make a Nicholson-for-Leonard trade using salary-matching rules for over-the-cap teams.

I'm obviously bored and anxious to see something happen. This is just one remotely plausible scenario, in my opinion.