1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

(Globe) BETTER WITH AGE Beasley learns from his mistakes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jul 24, 2016.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/c...-around-nba/mITQTJZnPZTpRuhkJABBQK/story.html

BETTER WITH AGE

Beasley learns from his mistakes

Michael Beasley returned to the NBA with the Rockets last year and averaged 12.8 points in 20 games.

Michael Beasley returned to the NBA with the Rockets last year and averaged 12.8 points in 20 games.

Michael Beasley participated in the Las Vegas Summer League for the Rockets. Although he’s only 27, he was old school in that environment. The former No. 2 overall pick was supposed to be a perennial All-Star as a lefthanded small forward with a smooth shooting touch.

Off-the-court issues along with a disregard for defense among other skills have made Beasley a basketball vagabond. After stints in China, Beasley returned to the NBA with the Rockets last year and averaged 12.8 points in 20 games, including an 18-point effort at Boston that sparked a Houston victory.

With his place in the league unsettled, Beasley decided to play in one summer league game this season, collecting 7 points and nine rebounds. He was more of a veteran presence on the bench during the rest of the week, understanding that being more about team will help his reputation.

Beasley was asked about his delusions of grandeur as a 19-year-old after being picked second overall in 2008 by Miami.

“I don’t think anybody knows that guy — I was young, man, I was 19, with everything in the world,” he said. “Live and learn, fortunate to still be here. It’s a good opportunity to be great, fortunately that God gave me multiple chances.”

Although Beasley has been considered a troubled player, it’s a mystery why he was relegated to China when he obviously has NBA skills. Beasley said he isn’t bitter or dumbfounded about his professional journey.

“You take what’s thrown at you, you handle it, and you move on,” he said. “I’m a big believer that God won’t throw you anything that you can’t handle. I pray, wake up, put one foot in front of the other, and let life happen how it happens.”

Beasley has played with four teams in eight years, including two stints with the Heat. He’s only 27 and perhaps with discipline and a couple of breaks could develop into a dependable rotation player. That’s why he was in Las Vegas.

“I feel as if I’ve always been prepared. I’ve been one to take my game seriously, but it’s just a little more special, a little more precious, just slow down and enjoy the ride this time,” he said. “My first time, I was 19, 20 years old, I thought I knew everything and y’all gave me all the money in the world, so I wasn’t thinking to look at y’all [in the eye] anymore. I’m doing it the right way this time, slowing down, enjoying the process, falling in love with the process.

“You see young players and I try to give them a little bit of what I learned and what I’ve been through.”

Beasley spent two seasons in China, including one with the Shanghai Sharks, the same club that Celtics rookie Guerschon Yabusele is signed with for next season. Beasley’s thoughts on his experiences in China and playing in the league, which is known for its high scoring and lack of defense, are complimentary.

“That’s the misconception a lot of people get, NBA guys go to China and average big numbers and automatically you think the talent is not as good,” he said. “It isn’t, but it’s not that far off. It will be the same thing if I was here [in the NBA] and my team was giving me the ball all 48 minutes.

“You get the ball a lot, so you ain’t gotta force no shots or take no bad shots — always taking the right shots, making the right plays. Your IQ and talent will take over from there.

“Man, it’s phy-si-cal. It’s physical here, don’t get me wrong. In the CBA, it’s 92 NBA physical [on a scale of 1-100]. You get knocked out of bounds and you get back on defense. It’s frustrating at first, but once you get used to it, it makes you a better player.”

2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Sounds like hes grown up... This might finally be his Break out year!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

MIP then signs a big contract and stops caring again?

:) :(

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Sounds to me like he's all growns up.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

We'll see. In all honesty, I'm less concerned about his maturity than whether or not he'll actually start to give effort on D, and if he'll maintain his newfound shot selection from last year. He's always been very tough to stop around the basket.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I get that he's extremely offensive talented, and it's nice to have that go-to offensive ability on the 2nd unit, but too me he's a ball stopper; a Carmelo without the range. If he can play within a system and contribute rather than dominate the ball, he'll fit in, but I don't see a place for him long-term in Houston with the $20 mil Anderson signing, so I really hope we package him for a nice young asset.

#6 Aruba77, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Strange how last year the board was divided over whether Beas was a PF, with many saying his natural position is SF, but now he's caught in a big man log jam?

I look forward to D'Antoni giving Beas a chance to replace all of Brewer's minutes.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cool.

Beas actually owning up, and defending the D in the CBA, speaking up for another league

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The problem is Beasley can't really play the wing for D'Antoni if he's taking <5% of his shots from 3PT range, while the more outside shots he takes, the more his value as an offensive player drops.

I guess it's a testament to how bad Brewer was(/is?) that Beasley will probably still get a shot at that role.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'd be happy with the same performance he gave us last season but from the bench. That would be incredible from a guy who's paid the minimum.

Anything more than that is a huge bonus.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hope this convinces someone to trade assets for him.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So true about his value dropping the further away you pull Beasley from the hoop. He's an effective 4 in today's game, needs to work on his defense and passing; needs to learn to extend his shooting range. But he's definitely a valuable player from the 4 position. But where's the future with Houston with Anderson locked in?

As far as Brewers minutes, Brewer will probably play Brewers minutes, with any balance going to Harden, don't you think?

SF as it stands now?:
    Ariza
    Brewer
    Harden (Harden/Gordon/Bev on the court together)
    Dekker/McDaniels

#12 Aruba77, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yeppers, GMs regularly troll NBA writers and fan sites for player evals.

14. Fantasma Negro

I know right, I hope we can get like a really versatile power forward that can play some small forward, score at will and rebound above average on a insanely ridiculous bargain of a contract...oh wait

15. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I'd love to have Beasley back on our roster. He would be amazing with this particular team we will likely field this year.

16. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yeah he should see if he could get ryan anderson mins that scrub. lol

17. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

he smoking too much that OG bro.

18. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

What is wrong with you. This is not the time.

19. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

He is right there on the all what coulda been team with Lamar Odom and Oliver Miller.

20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

LOL Yeah hes on hypnotic for sure.

ilovehtownbb likes this.