1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj - Rockets trying to complete deal for Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 8, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You are assuming we are offering a pick first of all, and second of all how much value does our first round pick hold compared to bringing on $19 million in salary for 3 more years for a player they don't want?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Let's stipulate your point is correct.

A buyout is better for them than taking on Ryan Anderson.

They have resisted buyout talks with Melo because they want something valuable.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I could see that, but from most of the rumors, a 3rd team is involved so that Ryan Anderson wouldn't be going to NY. I think they want some kind of deal done so they can get something because they know they have to do a buyout if they can't reach an agreement.

One way or the other they NEED to dump Melo, that's all I was saying.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Rockets can set their sights on a different player. The Knicks have to find a team to trade with that Carmelo is willing to waive his no-trade clause. From what we've heard, that list is tiny. They can accept the Rockets offer or buy him out and get nothing.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

And a month later, the Knicks will be even more desperate.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And that's the gawdamn truth. NY and the rest of these crappy NBA teams need to go full tank and allow the close contenders to get closer.

7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

We are both desperate but i think we should be the aggresdor because we have the most to gain

No matter what knicks will be a **** show next year and are going to get bad return on a melo trade. They dont have that much to lose.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We don't want Ryan Anderson. They don't want Carmelo. Now it's just a battle to see who doesn't want their player more.

Gorki, Yung-T and DonKnock like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure about that. The Knicks trade Melo to the Rockets for what the Rockets want to offer, the Rockets win, the Knicks refuse to trade Melo to the Rockets and end up needing to release him, the Rockets still potentially win. It's almost a win/win situation for the Rockets, so there's no reason to be desperate at all.

Richie_Rich and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

There's also that potential third team and what it'll yield in trade, and, of course, if New York will accept whatever that team offers. No side has to hurry, but any team involved in the deal would also like to have it over with. But not get bent over (too much) in the process. I'm not surprised this isn't done yet.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I wouldn't say that. I think we'd prefer a star if Anderson's contract can help us get one, but it's not like we have an issue with him. We will be a top seed with him doing just what he did last year, and I'm sure Morey is reminding NY of that.

today and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

People act like Ryan is a scrub. There is a reason why he got paid the way he did. 15 mil for a guy who can score probably 20+ a night on a nets or sac team, He adds the rudy gay value, but when you become a role player to a star, your acheivements dont stand out as much. He threw down some amazing 3's, and was one heck of a player for rockets last year, dont forget that, and yea people talk bad cause of the playoffs.

Manos, YOLO, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if the Knicks release him, there is still the possibility that he signs with the Cavs. So they need to find a trade that works.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, that's why I said "potentially", but I'd take that risk over giving up more than I want to. I'm hoping a 3rd team gets involved and makes it work.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

because he's gonna be too busy WORKING THE PHONES WITH MOREY FINALIZING THE DETAILS OF THE CARMELO ANTHONY TRADE. :D:D

there. you heard it here first. sauces.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

lolwut? Knee-jerking fans with superficial basketball knowledge don't want Anderson. Knowledgeable fans are fine going into the season with Anderson at the 4 spot as it is still a good situation for our team with his typically superior shooting. We just all happen to prefer having Melo at the 4 spot as Melo is a superior scorer. Having Anderson is good. Having Melo is better.

Pen15clubber, BigMaloe and justtxyank like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

In the end there's the fact that only two teams can get Melo, because he will waive the no trade just for them, that alone puts the Knicks in a bad situation since Cleveland has no assets outside of Love (which is not going to get traded for Melo if they think Lebron is gone).

And i'm not even sure the Cavs are still in, if Lebron is gone like it seems why should Melo go there in the first place? Paul is in Houston, Harden is in Houston, Houston is better than Cleveland, hell, the Rocekts at this point are probably better than the Cavs...he will also make more money here...

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We have a better coaching in Houston too

19. Le$$

Le$$ Member

[​IMG]

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

You could be right about the Cavs not still in, but there are clear advantages to playing for CLeveland:

1. He gets to play with LeBron, the best player on the planet, and his very good friend.
    2. He' much closer to his son in NY, which he has expressed being around him is very important.
    3. Easiest path to the Finals. All it takes is some DMo butt sweat and Cleveland might not even see GSW in the finals.