1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston to San Diego

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Schmidt, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Schmidt

Schmidt Member

Anyone have any experiences they want to share moving from Houston to San Diego? I have a promotion opportunity out there, but the cost of living is a huge factor in my decision. In Houston I make $110K + a 30% annual bonus. IF the promotion was here, I'd be bumped up to $125 - $130K w/the same 30% bonus.

I've seen a few online CoL calculators, but I don't know how accurate they are.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's a reason why San Diego costs more
    Take a tour of the city first

3. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Don't forget the higher taxes and property cost up there it will really drivin you nuts. If buying a house it is going to be costly, even auto insurance!
    I just had a son move away from their three months ago and it says it gives him a great feeling of relief to be away from there.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't be alarmed by the mega tent cities setup by the homeless.

5. Karolik

Karolik Member

San Diego is a nice city, much better than htown but it comes with a price.

Higher House Prices and Taxes.

If you think its worth sacrificing quality of life then go for it.

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

i've inquired over this subject recently , i know a Lawyer/Pharmacist couple who pay 2700$ for some decent townhouse , 1000$ for a daycare, there's also a Medical resident who commute from Mexico , i think he pay around 1500$ for something luxurious with all service included such as cooking-cleaning-etc; .To buy a house , you need a million and half in cash to compete against Chinese bidders

#6 Exiled, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  7. MrJason

MrJason Member

They have a state income tax which Texas doesn't.

Houses cost a lot more but I hear that it balances out because the annual income tax is lower (1% compared to 3%).

Never lived there personally tho

8. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

The ~9% state income tax will totally wipe away your raise as it is - before you calculate rent and cost of living. I live in the Bay Area and a lot of times its the little things you don't even notice that gets you. Eggs, gas, milk, car insurance - they are all going to cost more.

That being said, go visit. San Diego is one of my favorite cities. It's way more affordable property wise than the Bay Area. The traffic isn't too bad. The weather is great and the people are pretty cool. I travel there a lot for work.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What is your savings rate like already? If you live within your means and are already able to save your target amount, a larger increase in housing should not break the bank. Not sure what scene you are into, but for me the quality of life on the West Coast is significantly higher than Texas.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Life is short. Make a bit less and enjoy a higher quality of life in San Diego.

Unless you are struggling with your income to begin with (family, etc).

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm 45. I've known several friends that moved there that I've known since HS.

Great place to go, but everyone that isn't an avid surfer moved back after several years. That said, a lot stayed for several years, so it obviously has its perks.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I looked into just this move back in 2004. I was told by multiple people who live in San Diego that your house becomes your 401k. Back then houses cost about 4x from those in Houston.

#12 No Worries, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  13. Schmidt

Schmidt Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm just going to ask for the world and see what they say. We have a start-up out there kicking off soon and they need the senior leadership role in place. Perhaps they'll bite...

14. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I moved from Austin to San Diego area in 2013. Prior to the move I lived in Texas all my life. 110k in Houston will go a lot further than 130k in San Diego.

Housing, state income tax, and gasoline are the expenses I noticed the most. Electricity costs more per kWh, but less overall because the weather is mild and you don't have to use A/C as much. I think my food expenses have gone up too. Property taxes are lower percentage wise, but because housing costs more, I pay similar to what I paid in Texas. Auto insurance was slightly cheaper for me here than in Texas.

As far as living here, there's a lot of great things about San Diego. If you can afford it and have never lived here, I'd recommend it. My sister's family came to visit me for 10 days recently, and loved it so much, they want to visit every year.

DallasThomas and Schmidt like this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

CAL 9.3% SIT
    TEX 0.0% SIT

I'm pretty sure you'll fall into the California 9.3% bracket. So your "raise" would barely cover that increase so you're not really accounting for actual costs of living increases like housing, insurances, food, fuel, etc.. So technically you'll be poorer but the weather is beautiful and weed is legal so you can smoke your problems away. That is if you can afford the weed.

Hakeemtheking and Houstunna like this.
  16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I made the move about 9 months ago. 110 in Houston with 30% bonus is like 80k here bro. It's not 1:1, **** the calculators. Everything's so much more expensive. It's not "crazy" like NoCal or Manhattan, or Vancouver, but those 110s would be 45-55s in those cities. You're at 80-85k. Also know your bonus is getting more taxes too. Also, if you're single you lose out on contributing to your Roth. I'd ask for $150-160k.

I will say this though-- San Diego is ****ing amazing. For an introvert, for a normal Houston, TX, kid-- that's lived abroad and 3 other cities in America(besides Houston, TX), SD is #1. My goal is sit here another 2 years, move out to another city for 3-4 years(and in these 5-6 years save even more money), re-enter SD at a higher title, base, and bonus, and buy a place. No problem staying here.

Other cities I love are Nashville and Charleston, and a distant fourth is Austin.

17. Schmidt

Schmidt Member

Let me clarify. If the same position were available in Texas my raise would be $125 to $130K. By moving to SD, they'll adjust my pay based on COL. The minimum for the job in SD is $155K, but I think I can get $175K, plus the 30% bonus.

The position is w/Qualcomm

18. Schmidt

Schmidt Member

What area do you live in?

19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I got a 15-month lease in North Park. Likely will stay in this area after lease is up. Better not come in my hood though, bro.

Schmidt likes this.
  20. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Well, we need to know more. Do you have a family, do you have a girlfriend you'll leave or do long distance with, do you have dogs, how big is your friend circle in Houston. Where are you in life? Is it career moves now, personal moves later? Is it personal always first, jobs will always come.

$175 in SD is like $125 in Houston. You'll be fine.