1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Jeremy Williams

Did you watch Morton pitch tonight? I think we forget how good he can be.

Take Morton and Martes (Paulino out) away from this team and we are left with Keuchel, McCullers, Fiers, Peacock, McHugh and Musgrove. I would NOT risk the loss of 2 of our depth pieces for the upgrade of Machado over Bregman/Marwin G.

2. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I think Brad Hand may be the most impactful piece available. I think a lefty reliever is just as big a need as SP (if not bigger because a Morton/Peacock tandem would be lethal). Also like Doolittle as a LOOGY and would probably be even cheaper.

Would love to get #2 level pitcher, but at what cost and what performance upgrade?

IowaAstro likes this.
  3. raining threes

I heard you're full of it.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know you said it earlier but several seem to have missed this. This was from an article about fantasy baseball not a real trade rumor.

5. ZeroPoint

ZeroPoint Member

All the starters should be back this month and that should give them enough time before the deadline to get a better view of things. Left handed reliever might be the only piece they need to add from outside the org. for the playoffs. It will save them in prospect costs. Knowing that Beltran and Aoki are gone next season (worst hitters on the team) and their replacements are within the system and should be ready. Fisher can play LF and Moran can DH and play some 1st base.

Interesting that Luhnow came out last week and said that both Tucker and Whitley were untouchable. That left Franklin Perez as a potential trade piece possibly. Perez, already a TOR label according to BA and BP and the 32nd best prospect in baseball by BA. He might be the main and only big piece that should yield you a good LHRP in return. His remoteness (still at least 2 years away) and Astros depth at pitching throughout the system should not hurt as much. Forrest Whitley, Martes, and JB Bukauskas will help take the sting out of his lost. There are other interesting pitching prospects sprinkled throughout the farm system. The depth will still be there.

Martes can be traded but he's already contributing to the team and it's becoming harder to see him let go with that kind of arm putting away major league hitters at his age. Same with Fisher and Moran who can contribute if an injury occurs and roster expansion in September. There's still a chance Aoki can be released. Tucker is right behind them and that should be a great problem to have next season.

#645 ZeroPoint, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  6. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/inside-baseball-al-notes-whats-astros-strategy-deadline/

The Astros are thought by rivals to be waiting for a “big fish” to augment a talented but somewhat fragile rotation – though they aren’t totally convinced that pitcher will be made available. It isn’t known who their top pitching target is, but as has been mentioned in this space before, they like Gerrit Cole (who’s likely to stay in Pittsburgh). Rivals still see Jose Quintana and Sonny Gray as the most likely pitchers to land there, but they’ve called about several other pitchers, including Julio Teheran, so they are investigating everything, including pitchers who aren’t necessarily likely to be traded.

raining threes likes this.
  7. ZeroPoint

ZeroPoint Member

Astros should be and with open ears and eyes surveying the market for starters. It will be irresponsible on the their part if they weren't link to anything. Gonna be all kinds of rumors out there with many players attached to them now until the deadline. That's the nature of the beast. People will confuse this as if they are going to pull the trigger for a starter. They could easily end up doing nothing of the sort and could anger some fans. They're just doing what good business people should do. Open up good communications with people and stay in contact. Rumors or just that, rumors.

#647 ZeroPoint, Jul 8, 2017
  8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

From the interview with Luhnow earlier in the year, it sounded like he learned from 2015 and really regrets pulling the trigger early and missing out on David Price. So I wouldn't expect anything to happening until very close to the trade deadline.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are not trading a 19-20 year old starting pitcher with TOR potential for a relief pitcher.

10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah it isn't fantasy baseball. Just a friend of mine, who is an oriole fan, stating his wish list. He revealed to me a little later that it was just him joking. But yeah i see the rude comment. Kinda surprised it's only one, but then i only skimmed over a few of the responses.

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Try reading just a tad further.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Alright guys, what do you trade to Toronto for Stroman and Osuna?

BMoney likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tucker
    Martes
    F Perez
    Moran
    H Perez
    Cameron

14. Nook

Nook Member

It would likely cost you Tucker, Martes, Fisher and another prospect in our 5-10.

Osuna and Stroman are going to be arbitration eligible soon but are not free agents until 2021.

I think it comes down to how good you think Stroman will be.

The deal would certainly help us.

15. Major

Major Member

I'm moving into the let-this-team-get-healthy-and-do-its-thing camp. Between Fiers, Peacock, Morton, and McHugh, I think you can get 2 starters for the playoffs, and then 1 or 2 bullpen guys to shore up that area. Outside of injuries, there's not a lot of need for hitting depth, because everyone is so good that you don't need to pinch hit for the most part. And with MarGo being able to play pretty much anywhere in the field, the team can sustain one hitting injury without much issue. As long they maintain this lead and can keep piling up innings pitched with scrubs that won't be on the playoff roster, I think the team's needs are fairly limited. I think we'd be heavily favored against any team in baseball in a 5 or 7 games right now, and I'm not sure adding another player changes the odds that much.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

If you're gonna dream, dream big.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Generally I agree. But I think the upgrade from Morton/McHugh to Quintana can still matter a lot. In 7 a game series where the 3rd starter may pitch twice, I think a significant upgrade could change the odds from, say, ~55% to ~60-65%. Especially when the difference in the 3rd starter on the 2 teams will be large. (i.e. Keuchel and LMJ are great, but so are Kluber and Carrasco. But Morton/McHugh are in range of Bauer...while Quintana would far surpass them.)

Also worth noting that the Yankees as a team have an .822 OPS vs righties, .716 vs lefties. (Indians, .783 vs. .768 so less relevant.)

18. ZeroPoint

ZeroPoint Member

A 19 year old who is no guarantee and in A ball. He's still 2 plus years away. Also it is rumored the Padres want a Chapman-Like return for Brad Hand. It's gonna cost you. I'd imagine the starting pitcher market for a number 2-3 would be crazy and probably why I would stay away if everyone is back in the rotation and pitching well.

19. Major

Major Member

I feel like all of our guys - Fiers, Morton, McHugh, Peacock - as well as the trade options - Quintana, Gray, etc - all have fairly big question marks. I agree in theory Quintana is better - but has he really pitched that way this year? He seems like a mess all year - with 3 or 4 terrible starts, followed by some good ones, followed by more meltdowns, etc. I think Morton can provide that same level of performance, without having to give up a ton of stuff.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  20. ZeroPoint

ZeroPoint Member

I like Franklin Perez but I'm willing to trade him for a Brad Hand type. We desperately in a need for a shut down lefty in the pen for the playoffs.

#660 ZeroPoint, Jul 8, 2017