1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So no 3rd star in a tough West...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jul 3, 2017.

1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

So it's looking more & more like we'll be rolling into the season with 2 stars surrounded by role players.

The West is going to be as rough as it's ever been. Are we still a 2-3 seed with our additions compared to teams on the rise like..Minnesota..Denver...Okc.

Have we done enough to really challenge the Warriors in a 7 game series?

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Premature and who cares about stars

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. Absolutely. Minny has zero shooters and WB is still WB. We got a lot better than last year (in theory anyways).
    2. No, but then again, not a single team is at that point yet.

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

May be premature but you cannot seriously be asking who cares about stars. Wow.

ak99999 likes this.
  5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Road rhino is a 3rd star for half the games. I wonder how good we would be if we chose to sit him during home games and play DMO and unleash road rhino on away games. Most casuals wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Two sturdy dudes

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  6. OTMax

OTMax Member

We already have 2, be happy!!

MrButtocks likes this.
  7. JD88

JD88 Member

Last season, we finished 6 games out of 2nd place. I think that's possible again.

Honestly, I see Houston, OKC and SAS in that next tier. Really, MIN and DEN aren't that far behind.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

If you want to be technical, all the West teams all have only two "superstars" and only the Rockets duo is even close to the Warriors top duo.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. pass_to_Hakeem

NOBODY ..... in the West .....has done enough to move past GS and that will be the fun part next year. To watch as all the other teams try and contend. I DO BELIEVE HOU has done enough to get them into that 60 + wins for the season and to KEEP them in the top 3. San Antonio hasn't done much (yet) , but they are SA and are still #2 IMO...

HOU has def improved and can make that push to getting back to Western Conf Finals!!

1Deep likes this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

One thing to keep in mind, in Warrior town, some of those guys only emerged as stars when the team coalesced. Real good chemistry can do that. It could happen here as well.

In other words, a 3rd star could emerge.

#10 jim1961, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

You think that's going to cut it vs healthy GSW ?

#sleeve
    # ^ risk profile

cheke64 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Let's not minimize who we have. :cool:

Let's not minimize who we have. We have Eric Gordon, who was the best 3-point shooter in the league last year based on attempts, Trevor Ariza is one of the best wing defenders, Ryan Anderson is one of the best shooting bigs, Clint Capela who could move into that near all-star category, we brought back Nene. We have some tremendous players. I can never rest on my job but we feel good about the group we're bringing back. We have a lot of tremendous young players we think can come along as well. - Daryl Morey

hakeem94 and BigMaloe like this.
  13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

As Morey said on the Simmons pod today, the goal is to have your best team in April -- not July. Even if we do roll into the season w/ two stars, it's one more than we had a week ago -- and nobody in the West has more than two, other than GSW (unless you consider Wiggins a star... I don't). I think we all know the current roster isn't enough to genuinely challenge GSW, but it's also likely that the current roster isn't the finished product. Consider how the deadline moves for Corey/Josh/Prigs completely changed the complexion of that 14-15 team -- way too early to start feeling sorry for ourselves, IMO.

Deuce, RyanB, da_juice and 13 others like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Derrick Rose is still available...

15. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

You guys are undervaluing 6 MOTY Eric Splash Gordon. We have 3 elite scorers surrounded by shooters and lob-eater Clint. There is a legit shot at a title.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. aroundtheblock2

A joke, perhaps?

17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Road rhino would make the all star team in the east

Home rhino needs to be old yellered

lionaire, DreamShook and malakas like this.
  18. aroundtheblock2

I think Wiggins is closer to a star than any other team has for a 3rd guy outside of GSW. Wiggins improved on his game all-around this past season.

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Exactly, let's stop for a second and realize that we have Gordon, Ariza, Capela & Anderson still + Harden, brought back Nene, signed Tucker and got freaking CP3!!!

ECHKG and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  20. aroundtheblock2

I'm just saying because DMo hasn't been on this team in over a year and he wasn't spectacular when he was on the team. Its a weird obsession over here you folks have with DMo.