1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Rockets are HARD CAPPED! Discuss.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bilaal14, Jul 2, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I've made a temporary avatar for you in case you feel the need to move on from a current clipper. That being said, I hope you keep your current one.

[​IMG]

Haha, found this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#21 don grahamleone, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

No, not likely.

BigggReddd likes this.
  3. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

Agreed they seem to have money coming from everywhere

4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Those non guaranteed deals are equivalent to roste spots, so if they go in any aggregated trades, those spots have to be filled.

It's misleading to say TPE. These are actually bodies aka roster spots that need to be accounted for.

malakas likes this.
  5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Lets say the deals aren't official yet though, which would mean the Rockets technically aren't hard capped yet. If they swoop in and do a S&T for Millsap before officially making these signings, then does that mean it's possible?

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you are over the cap, and add another player via your MLE or sign and trade, 125 million is the most you can spend, period.

Regardless of how we get Tucker, it will be an MLE or SnT, which means hard cap.

malakas and Haymitch like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You can spend like a mofo if you are just keeping your own guys, or trading player for player, not SnT.

malakas likes this.
  8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, it's the Non-Taxpayer MLE that was supposedly tied to the average player salary. The Taxpayer MLE was purposely made lower in order to give below-tax teams an advantage to add talent.

Interestingly (or not), over the course of the 2011 CBA, the average player salary kept getting larger and larger than the Non-Taxpayer MLE amount. That is why the new Non-Taxpayer MLE in the 2017 CBA is so much bigger. The intent was to "re-align" with the estimated average player salary. The MLE amounts are now set in the CBA for every year going forward. However, after GSW and CLE ran through the playoffs and revenues got limited, the 2017-18 salary cap came in well below original projections. This has now resulted in the Non-Taxpayer MLE now being LARGER than the average player salary. We'll see if the average player salary catches up in a couple of years.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

This is what I've been saying and why I have not been impressed with this free agency period. Everyone is freaking out at me not willing to accept that we should be sitting way prettier.
    After the Chris Paul trade Morey was talking like we are in such great position, as was everyone on here. We are in such a tight spot now, and our weakest starter, Anderson, who cannot be moved, also has no legitimate back up!
    Love the fact that we have CP but that doesn't change the fact that huge blunders were made this summer and anyone who says otherwise is in huge denial. Morey got so cocky he was too blind to see he got hosed in the Chris Paul trade. Yes we got better with Chris Paul, but that doesn't change the fact that we gave up way too much, and now with the Tucker signing we have absolutely no wiggle room.
    Losing that first round draft pick that was so not necessary to include in the trade really hurt us.

BigggReddd likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

@Haymitch

Ok now I think I understand. Scenarios :
    1) Nene on non bird rights + Tucker + do a S+t with human TPE + BAE + vet mins
    2) Nene on MLE+ Tucker with S+T + BAE + VET mins

So in other words if Nene doesn't sign the non bird rights contract, and we want Nene back, then we can't bring another good vet with S+T.
    If Toronto doesn't want to cooperate wtih us with a s+t then we lose Nene.

bilaal14 likes this.
  11. mightybosstone

Right. But the Rockets still have nine guaranteed players sitting on the roster, right? That's Harden, Paul, Ariza, Ryno, Capela, Tucker, Gordon, Qi and Onuaku. So the math should still check out there.

12. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

It feels like Morey will work hard to get a deal to clear Anderson's contract to put us below the cap prior to the Tucker deal becoming official. I can't see Morey leaving himself with no flexibility.

BigggReddd likes this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

What people don't seem to get on here is if we are still 3rd best team in the West, or getting swept by the Warriors, then we took a step back by surrendering our draft pick and our rookie contracts and our best valued contract (Bev)

I hate to say it but I strongly feel Morey failed this year

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

I'm so confused about how the salary cap and everything works, Cleveland and Warriors indeed seem to have crazy money to spend while we can barely make a move with only 7 NBA rotation players on the roster...

15. mightybosstone

The way I understand it, yes. That all looks correct. So it seems like we're kind of in a waiting game right now with Nene to see what he wants to do.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I have a lot of concerns with this organization, but I am never concerned with Darryl Morey navigating a tricky cap situation.

I get the feeling he needs lotion and a tissue when he's making all of these minor financial roster adjustments.

split41 and RudyTBag like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's incredibly thoughtful of you. Of course my first response is . . . deserves its own thread.

I'm thinking when FA season settles down maybe we should do a thread with a poll and folks can vote on their favorite.

18. chandlerbang21

Bench is very thin at the moment. Glad to have tucker and paul but the paint protection and rebounding was a huge issue last season.

19. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Sign and trade triggers hard cap

20. mightybosstone

Cleveland actually should have very little money to spend because they have a ton of money invested in Lebron, Irving, Love, Thompson, Smith and Shumpert. They're already at like $129 million, and they have very little flexibility.

The Warriors really don't have much flexibility either, because they're about to have about $65 million invested in Curry and Durant. Yes, they've been able to keep all of their guys, but they have their Bird rights and they're about to have an insane amount of money invested in them. With the Curry, West, Livingston and Iggy deals, Golden State is sitting at about $100 million. But that's without Durant. Once he signs, for probably around $30 million, that'll be about $130 million invested in 10 guys and with no real starting center as they haven't re-signed McGee or Zaza. Once they fill out the rest of the roster, they'll be at least at $135 million, but it could be more like $140 million. One Tweet I saw yesterday said that with moderate salary increases, the Warriors would have a salary of $165 million in 2018-19, which would come with $135 million in luxury payments. That's $300 million for their payroll, and it's not going to get any cheaper for them.