1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[WOJ] Cleveland in talks to deal Shumpert to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 1, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Maybe. Right now our defense at the four and five is still problematic.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There was absolutely nothing we could do in the realm of realistic possibilities to put us on the same level as the Warriors. Getting Lebron and Chris Paul would do it but that seems unlikely. They are that good.

You never know what's going to happen so the idea is to be in pouncing position should the opportunity present itself. Chris Paul puts us in with a group of teams that could win a championship if the Warriors can't. We weren't in that position before.

TheFreak, skroodup25 and justtxyank like this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I think you are right that CP3 is still a top 10 player. Whether he's top 10 or top 15, it's still a massive upgrade on Beverley and Lou Williams.

BigM likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The dude is hitting 36% of a career high 3.4 attempts. Not bad at all.

The other thing is, Shumpert can guard smaller wings than Ariza can, which allows us to move Harden to SF defensively where he is less atrocious.

5. DVauthrin

Capela's defense isn't an issue. Ryan Anderson is an entirely different story. That's why Morey wants to move him, and is targeting versatile wings like Iggy and Shumpert.

That said, they definitely need more frontcourt depth.

6. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

You're right we have arguably the best backcourt duo in the league, but we aren't stopping the warriors with our dynamic duo vs their big 4. They slaughtered everyone in the playoffs, everyone. So is adding shumpert and Iggy will put us over the top. I honestly feel we are gonna make some minor tweaks and ride with the roster we have and try for our super-team next off season

cdrive likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Anyone that thought George or Melo or Milsapp was likely, didn't understand the NBA landscape.

TheFreak likes this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Agreed. I freaking love Pat Beverley and he had some amazing moments and big shots. Him stepping up to Westbrook and helping to eliminate them in the playoffs after the whole MVP race will be one of my fondest memories as a Rockets' fan. But he is nowhere close to Chris Paul. Not remotely. That was a needle moving trade that the team needed to jump on regardless of what happens going forward.

justtxyank likes this.
  9. justtxyank

If we added iggy at this point I'd consider that a win.

10. Houston Rockets

As of right now we got cp,harden,ariza,Anderson,Capella,Gordon....Then what do we have we have no young talent that's desirable no bench.honestly think we're a 4,5 seed as of right now!

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

As Ben DuBose is saying - it's Day 1. Stay tuned.

I think we can move Anderson to clear the road for another big splash. Wait til all these teams explore their plan B and Cs in the coming days.

Rudyc281 and BigM like this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Sure depth is a concern right now but it's day 1 of free agency. I'd be pretty confident we're getting some more players whoever they may be.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

for who? ryan for shumpert and another high paid player? only ones who can match contract are frye and jr.

RYAN FOR SHUMPERT AND FRYE?!?! DO IT! HURRAY MURRAY!

15. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

We have the same team but instead upgraded lou and bev to cp3. We lost dekker and harrell. They barely played. So what

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Lose Nene and Beverley, add Shumpert..

17. DVauthrin

I love Beverley too. He was a great fit next to Harden. But Chris Paul is one of the best backcourt players you could pair Harden with. He is an elite defender, floor general, a fiery leader, and can play on or off the ball. He is beverley with elite point guard skills and offensive game.

BigM likes this.
  18. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

havent lost nene. Talks just stalled.

WE offered him the max we could without cutting into our MLE

19. justtxyank

We are trading our non guaranteed deals for him.

20. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

I still don't think we are in that position currently. From a realistic standpoint, it's our dynamic duo vs. their big four. Their still isn't a pouncing position. The only change I see is moving from the 3rd team to the second team in the west, but still leagues below the warriors. But hey let's pounce away