1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could only keep one (Capela or Gordon)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Streets 01, Jun 29, 2017.

?

If you could only keep one player who would it be?

1. Keep Eric Gordon

34 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Keep Clint Capela

141 vote(s)
    80.6%
  1. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I'm sure it somewhat depends on who it is we bring in and how we can fill the rest of the roster, but it seems like no matter who we get as our third "star" it will be either a 3 or 4 (PG13, Melo, Blake, Milsap, Gordo, Ibaka, etc.)

That said, if you HAD to lose one of Capela or Gordon, who would you choose?

The prospect of Capela throwing down lob after lob is exciting. He is our only real center (though I believe we will reacquire Nene), he is much younger and likely has higher upside than EGo.

Gordon can play 1-3, and is a lights out shooter who can space the floor for Harden and Paul and along with our stars creates one of the best backcourt rotations ever (on paper). He does not need our stars to score (unlike Clint) and is our only bench weapon.

I think both are vital which is why people are warming up to the idea of Anthony as our third, because there's a possibility of keeping both Clint and EGo (I guess??). But assuming that regardless of who we get, we have to lose one, who do you keep? Who is more vital to this team as constructed?

I'm keeping the poll responses changeable to see if opinions shift as other moves are made.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Capela for his defense and ability to run the pick and roll. He does need to get better especially on offense, but Chris and James will continue to give him easy chances to score around the basket. Morey shouldn't trade him for George, and certainly not Melo. I would try to retain him if possible in a potential Millsap trade, but I'm not totally against moving him for the latter, provided if Millsap comes for a 3-4 year contract.

3. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

They can both go. Who cares..

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, i think we would need a starting center more than a 6th man with three stars on the team.

5. DMO (DJ remix)

It depends, but as it stand Capela, because of his contract alone, EG is much better player, but it really also depends on what player/players we get, what players we're getting via FA and so on, it's not an easy answer.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

If we somehow get PG13 I could stomach losing EGO. I think we will be going the Melo route tho and keeping both

Chamillionaire likes this.
  7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

It's a guard-driven league (see Golden State with average centers), however, there are more guys that play basketball who are smaller because of the nature of humans..Gordon's production is easier to replace than Capela. I would keep Capela. Not to mention, we know Gordon's ceiling while Capela is still improving

8. Fantasma Negro

I'd keep Gordon. Onuaku and Isaiah replace Clint pretty easily

9. saleem

I think Morey will get Melo too, but EG might be gone.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I like Onuaku and think he play Harrel's role and split time with NeNe but I don't think this team can afford to lose Capela.

You need cheap pieces like him that fit well with your stars. Plus he's still really young and he has gradually improved since being here. An improved Capela next year to go with our potential team could look real noice.

Love Gordon, but his contract may have to be used for salary matching purposes.

Don't think this is a one or the other scenario. Their contracts are far apart.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

As much as I love both, I'd have to go with Capela. I hate the fact that his hands are extremely suspect but Eric had a mircle of a season with no (serious) long term injuries.

I think Eric would help on defense at the wing spots but we need a guy like Capela to clog up the paint now especially with Pat Bev being gone.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Capela obviously, if for no other reason than we would be lacking future picks and young players. We need someone to be improving while the older guys lose a step. Plus the contract is more easily packaged in a trade.

Also, we could replace Gordon with Nick Young - which is a drop, but a tolerable one. Who would we replace Capela with? We would have to hope Onuaku or someone is able to step in and play easily. I think people are forgetting that players can suck for a year. Can't afford that.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gordon is the better player.... the future belongs to Clint and his VOICE!

14. saleem

Clint doesn't have the best hands, but he is able to catch lobs and dunk with force. He isn't another Kelvin Cato. Morey should look for a substitute for EG with the MLE, if he ends up trading him.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think capela is heading for injury issues... And replacing him becomes easier as his athleticism diminishes and his game plateaus..

Having 3 guys like Harden, Paul and gordon, who can shoot, drive and finish is what you need to rival GS.. Especially when all three are capable defenders in key moments.. That's a rare thing.

D-rock likes this.
  16. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Here in creates another question: Is the Rockets with PG13 (without EGO) better or worse than the Rockets with Melo and WITH EGO?

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

RV the guy is 23 not 32 like CP3....

If anything his game will be helped by CP and Harden with lobs as @saleem mentioned, which I agree with.

Don't get me wrong a freak injury or even high ankle sprain (knock on wood) can occur at any moment but any reoccurring injuries shouldn't be foreseen due to age. The kid is barely legal to drink!

arabrocket likes this.
  18. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

It depends on what we want to do. The defense goes up with PG13. He is one of the better two way players in the league and won't be a liability on either end. With Melo and EGO offensive output should be top notch for 48 minutes and we can have our own version of the lineup of death...scoring wise

19. Nook

Nook Member

Since the Pacers asked about Capela.... I gladly keep EG and move Capela and assets for Paul George.

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CC is becoming......a monster...Just think what he'll be like in 3-4 years. Sooo underrated/under the radar still...