1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: On the Rockets draft and their goal of a superteam in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 26, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Extensions can be made part of a trade. Under the new CBA, extensions can increase salary to 120% vs 107.5% or up to league average salary. Allowing extensions to increase salary to equal the mid-level exception (league average salary) is why he'll probably get it. That would increase him from $5m to ~$8.5m.

disclaimer: I'm assuming Extend and Trades are still allowed, and that they can increase salary to the league average like normal extensions now can. I'm not sure if his salary-matching number in an EnT would equal $8.5m, though. @BimaThug would an Extend and Trade give the Rockets $8.5m in salary matching?

Matt78777 likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Great podcast Clutch and BimaThug. Thanks a lot, and you too J.R. for your excellent work. I honestly want Millsap first on the Rockets. He isn't Draymond Green, but he is a true two way PF, who isn't afraid of the dirty work. Harden needs help in the backcourt, but will Paul George sign an extension in Houston, if Millsap joins us too?

I'm skeptical that Chris Paul will be effective with Harden, but if it works it would be amazing provided if DM can upgrade the 4 spot first. I don't see Paul George, Harden and Chris Paul working out together. They all need to handle the ball, to be at their best.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Disappointing podcast. Not enough Patrick Patterson content.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

ah, makes sense now. I could see a team thinking Beverley at $8.5M is still very valuable, even if it means extending an extra year.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Carl, I'm totally with you in wanting 2Pat. If we trade Ryno, I would LOVE to add 2Pat to the team to be the 4, but honestly if we are going to sign a max free agent with cap space I don't think we can possibly add Pat.

Matt78777 likes this.
  6. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Thanks for the podcast guys, good listen. Super interesting that @BimaThug thinks its more likely than not Houston will sign Chris Paul. I remain skeptical, but only for self-preservation purposes. If it does happen, and the veterans flock to Houston for the minimum, I hope the Rockets sign Deron Williams to be CP3's back-up. That would be some delicious irony.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Haha Oh man that would be amazing. Hate to throw water on the idea though, but Deron seems to be like Pau or Bogut and is Houston-averse.

Matt78777 likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have to agree with @BimaThug in terms of there's an interesting feeling about this recruitment. Like with Dwight. It just seems like it has some legs. I don't think it's the same strength as the Dwight rumblings, but it's the same feeling in general...

Matt78777 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Chris Paul is waffling. He's 50/50 on his decision."

"Sources say Chris Paul is flying back to LA to meet with Clippers owner Steve Ballmer."

"Chris Paul is still undecided & can't make up his mind. No decision expected this weekend, sources say."

"Chris Paul expected to take holiday weekend to make up his mind."

;)

rgw20014life, Nook, BigM and 2 others like this.
  10. alethios

alethios Member

Statements like this make me think he's going to join the Spurs. I bet he gets cold feet about coming to Houston but I hope I'm wrong.

11. basketballholic

Poor @heypartner had to skip the first ten minutes because there's no way he understood all that babble in English about buying a pick. Could you all redo that part for him in panda-ese so he might have a small chance of understanding it?

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't like the "should have" cause it's fantasy.
    We lost to a better coached and motivated team on our own floor without their top player.
    The excuse level should be 0.

"Should have" is what people who's team loses always think.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Those aren't real quotes.

D-rock and Jayzers_100 like this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It seems You continue to mix the word buying with trading for a pick. The only pick that Clutch and Bima talked about buying with cash was the one that sold for cash. I also said we could have matched GSWs $3.5m for Bell...wrt to having enough left to offer max.

But nothing sold for cash prior to that. How can you buy something for cash that was used vs sold for cash.

If by using the phrase "buying a pick", you mean to include trading for one, then that's fine...then have it any discussion that we could have moved up to get Mason, Bolden and Ojelye.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Nook and basketballholic like this.
  16. basketballholic

See what I mean folks. Poor feller.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Absolutely.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Clutch/BT - - is there any indication Harden will be in the room on a CP3 pitch? I assume CP3 & MDA have a relationship from USA Basketball?

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Clutch, so what are the rockets doing or saying that seems to indicate they have confidence they will get CP3?

I've only heard the Morey comment that they have something up their sleeve. Is it that they are shopping their folks? That doesn't suggest anything other than Morey feeling out value for players as usual.