1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cost of moving Anderson ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jun 21, 2017.

1. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

He's good at his role, but damn can he be straight up garbage at times. I think a team will be willing to take his salary, similar to Mozgov situation that you alluded to. But I don't think packaging Ryan Anderson and Lou will get us a star, unless it's Carmelo, but that's because NYK are stupid enough to think that's an ok deal.

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If you want Bev. U have to take Anderson off us.

3. Rokman

Rokman Member

My prediction:

Rockets trade:
    - Anderson
    - Williams

Knicks trade:
    - Anthony

Morey is gonna try and gamble and see if he can resurrect Anthony here and that the success of the team recently will convince Anthony to get in line in his second stint with D'Antoni. That's what's up his sleeve.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

Well someone had the same idea as me. I can see it happening. Melo has a bad rep in the league right now and has lead the Knicks no where. Should be able to get him on the cheap.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Very difficult.
    Teams thought the cap was 108 mil but now it ended up at 99 mil. That puts a lot of teams that had ti planned for free agency in a mess and in a quick and real demand for unloading salaries.
    The cost of dumping contracts just went even more up.

roslolian, calurker, craguin and 3 others like this.
  6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Didn't Melo and D Antoni have a bad chemistry?

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I hope you're right , but I think you are wrong.

Nets took mozgovs contract because they got a former #2 overall draft pick in Russell and an additional pick , correct ?

Lopez , while a better player than mozgov , is likely not a top 10 center and he's also getting paid out the ass . Mozgov is making what 16 ? Lopez is making 22 . Yes mozgov's value is worse than Lopez' but if you add in Russell it's not a complete pillaging by the lakers.

Besides the lakers deal and a deal to dump salary are two completely different things and you know that. What would brooklyn's price have been if they didn't send out Lopez in the deal? Would they have traded just a first for mozgov and Russell ( if they had one to five and had cap space) ? My guess is no.

The salary cap isn't rising exponentially anymore and cap space is becoming more valuable again. How many teams out there can even absorb Andersons contract without giving us a contract back ?

Again, I hope you are right and we can dump Anderson to the Kings for some seconds or something ... I just don't think it's gonna happen.

malakas likes this.
  8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

srs cmon yall. dwight and noah got 70m. adams got 100. baze got 80 or w/e. i dunno why so many of you dont think anyone would take ryan.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Noah is viewed as an awful mistake . Dwight might be as well. Baze severely disappointed in the first year of his contract . Adams is pretty good.

MrSabotage and malakas like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Mozgov is on a 4 year contract. While lopez expires. Just wait until all these teams wanting to get rid of their guys begins. Teams have these dream plans to land this and that and there will be plenty of teams disappointed having to find guys to sign when it's all said and done. That never fails. Happens every year

You say I'm wrong when the thing I'm mainly claiming is there are plenty of teams that would want a true stretch 4. An elite 40% one at that. I don't believe I'm close to being wrong about that in today's league.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If moving Anderson was as easy as some of you are making it out to be, guess what? He would already be gone.

The latest casualty in the "holy f***, what were we thinking?" class of 2016 free agents (i.e. Dwight, Mozgov, etc).

bilaal14 likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

False. Only idiots like billy king make moves just bc and cripple their organization for years to come and be just as bad as philly but with nothing to show for it. Thankfully we don't have someone that dumb as a GM.

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

the point is there are takers for ryan. the only question is what do we ge in return?

it should be a big trade for a star player to help match salaries. i still dont believe that was the best we seen from ryan, he can avg 16-18ppg in the rs if he's used right.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You can choose whether or not to believe reports of us looking to dump Anderson.

It seems a lot of regrettable contracts were signed last summer. Unfortunately, I think we have one of them.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Well sure teams want a stretch 4 . But not at andersons price for a player his caliber.

Bigs have always been "overpaid" I'll give you that. But Anderson doesn't play big . Harden is a better post defender and rebounder than he is. The value of the stretch 4 is that he is a shooter who can then play "big" on defense and do other things a forward does like rebound or score in the paint.

Ryan is less of a stretch 4 and more of a shooter that we happened to stick at the 4 .

If Anderson is a true top strech 4 , then our system should have maximized his output and efficiency. Instead , 3 of his previous 5 seasons were objectively better ( similar efficiency and more points and rebounds) , and he was not able to shoot consistently ( even though his overall percentage was great he was very streaky.)

If he didn't produce tangible output for us here , why would I believe he could be any better for another team ( who outside of the few top teams don't run space and pace as well as we do)

I just don't think Anderson is a good player ; and despite the fact that he theoretically fills a desired niche, the production just doesn't add up and given his contract , he isn't bringing enough in other areas to compensate for that.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's nothing different about what morey is doing. He was always going to go after a star that they feel will fit. Until he does, all these core pieces are in play

17. malakas

malakas Member

Many teams that would want to take Anderson...
    From what I see there are only BKN, Miami, Minny, Philly and Kings that have the capspace to take that contract.

Now if you were a gm of those teams would you spend it on Anderson or wait to see what first rounders or good young players you can get from teams wanting to free their capspace to get a FA? Like BKN did?
    Capspace is a luxury atm. Without incentives why spend it on Anderson?

baller4life315 likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Obvious example of people want to believe what they want to believe despite otherwise. the default narrative gets used no matter what. Big problem around here

19. today

today Contributing Member

Thank you, this was a very helpful example.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lol . I could say the same to you.

We will see what happens .

I've given you tangible evidence of Andersons production in a system tailored to use stretch 4's.

You've given me the fact that the league likes space and pace and somehow the BKN LA trade as evidence of a salary dump?

The cap isn't going up by much . The teams that have cap room to absorb Anderson are not in abundance. Anderson has 3 more years of a guaranteed 20 million dollar contract , essentially 1/5th of the cap.

And I'm supposed to buy your argument that moving him and taking back little salary is going to be a piece of cake ?

malakas and baller4life315 like this.