1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Moreys Summer Goal? Bring CP3+Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jun 16, 2017.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Like I said, we would need a little help from the players we would be targeting. Winning can be quite the incentive, especially for players like CP3 and Melo that have already had great individual success. History is full of examples of players forcing trades. Case in point: CP3 and Melo, imagine that.

Melo is probably the most realistic target. The Knicks want him gone. He has a no trade clause. The Knicks have next to no leverage. I have a hard time believing they wouldn't eagerly meet us halfway.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I mean, I'd take Love....I just have a hard time believing after getting badly outgunned Cleveland would have any interested in essentially downsizing. Swapping Love for some sort of Anderson/Ariza type package doesn't make them any better.

And keep dreaming on Porzingis ;-)

3. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

gotta trade Bev, Lou, Ariza and Anderson and convince CP3 and Hayward to take 25 mill instead of 30 to make this possible. Only person that really needs to be replaced out of those four is Anderson. Convince PPat to take the league minimum and boom, a super team-lite is born.

CP3
    Harden/Gordon
    Hayward
    PPat/Wiltjer/Qi
    Capela/Nene

Personally, i don't like it. But, the Rockets would be pretty legit around the arc.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Is this team really good enough to take down Golden State? Heh.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Well, that would be a snap, because what player eligible for his last big contract wouldn't be enthusiastic about signing for millions of dollars less than he's worth for every year of that contract? It's a dream come true! :)

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So Hayward's max will start at 30 million, and Paul's will start at 35. That means we would need 65 million in cap space.

Even if we dumped everybody making over 3 mill per for nothing in return (Anderson, Gordon, Ariza, Lou and Beverley), we'd still have only have 60 million in cap space. Are we expecting CP3 to take a 25 mill pay cut or something? Are we expecting a S&T? This seems extremely unlikely as much as I wish it had legs.

Guys, for those putting together the team on paper, there would absolutely be no Anderson, Gordon, Ariza, Lou or Beverley. It would be beyond impossible.

Paul
    Harden
    Hayward / Dekker
    Harrell / Wiltjer
    Capela / Nene

+ 2nds and vets

Is the best we could hope for, and thats with Hayward/Paul taking a combined 25 mill pay cut over their 4 year contracts (which I think would never happen).

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

FIFY. ;)

alethios likes this.
  8. Asian Sensation

Kyrie is closer to Hardens level than Harden is to Lebron. Kyrie is better than CP3. Hayward is better than Love but if you had a CP3/Harden pairing I think Love fits much better.

Harden and CP3 are both ball dominant guards and they can't play off the ball. I would take Love over Hayward if you did have Harden/CP3 since both of them are going to be left standing around in the corner anyways. At least Love provides size, rebounding and can play the post.

It goes like this:

Lebron

Harden
    Irving
    Hayward
    CP3
    Love

However, assuming you do have Harden and CP3 and a choice was there between Love and Hayward I'd take Love as I mentioned. If the Cavs had Hayward instead of Love I'd imagine they would end up with the same or worse result.

9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope this doesn't happen. An aging Chris Paul and a not quite superstar level player in Gordon Hayward aren't worth the contracts they'll receive. This team was pretty good last year, I'd rather see a trade of Lou or Ariza and then try to sign Gallinari. We just have to hope to see improvement from the young players we have now and better team chemistry next season.

10. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Ignoring Patterson taking the minimum, since someone else already dealt with that, convincing Paul and Hayward to take $10M less (in Paul's case--his max starts around $35M) and $5M less (in Hayward's case) is a non-starter. It's not just the $10M and $5M in year one--the year-by-year salary escalations are built in, so starting lower means lower salaries for the entire duration of the deal. So it would probably end up costing them something like $30/$60M in each case. There's no way they accept that.

Vivi likes this.
  11. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

Unless they sign Durant deals. 2 year deals with the second year as a player option. talk about really increasing the risk factor.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Definitely have to go for it.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Hmm. If Morey can dump Anderson's contract and convince Hayward to take a slight paycut, we're definitely in the mix for him. Not sure how we land Chris Paul though. Ariza and Williams would be easy to dump, but combined they make less than 15 mil, right? So where does the cap space for Paul come from? Do we have to dump Gordon too? Not sure I like those moves since we'll have no depth and no starting PF.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is 2017. Everything gets leaked. Fake stuff. True stuff. Etc.

There's been absolutely no hint in any way of a Hayward / HOU connection.

Not sure how we're in the mix for him???

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I just meant financially we would be in the mix. As far as him actually wanting to come here, I don't think he does. I think he either resigns with Utah or bolts for the Celtics.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I see. Got ya.

THe Rockets can absolutely make max cap space. Indeed. Two maxes? Seems like quite the stretch.

Not that it will happen ... but random thought... CP3 and Hayward both to Denver would actually be a really good team. CP3, Harris, Hayward, Gallinari, Jokic with potentially Barton, Murray, Nelson and Faried off the bench. It's a top 2-3 team in the west.

17. No Chill Rocket

Who would you guys hate the give up, if one of these trades were to happen?

I personally would shed a tear if Pat were to get traded .

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, basically we would've to trade anyone not named Harden and Capela to sign bith of them...as today we have something around 12M in cap space, dump Anderson, Ariza, Lou and Gordon and we are pretty much at 60M. To max Hayward and Paul we would need 65M so yeah, add Pat too, or basically all the young guys.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Same here, would hate to see Pat go but eh...i've already been there when a player you love gets traded etc...that's just how it works.

20. Mashing

Mashing Member

Honestly, my only hope for the Western Conference is for the salary cap to decimate the Warriors. They can't keep that much talent together forever can they?