1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: Rockets among suitors for Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2017.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yeah because him not being held accountable and being able to do whatever the f he wants to has worked out so well.

kjayp likes this.
  2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Rumors have swirled for years of a banana-shaped combination of Wade, LeBron, Melo, CP3 teaming up one day. Wouldn't put it past Morey to work a deal for Melo contingent on CP3 signing here.

BHannes2BHonest and Pen15clubber like this.
  3. theh

theh Member

I guess Carmelo coming off the bench?

Pen15clubber and Fullcourt like this.
  4. thekad

thekad Member

I wonder sometimes if you guys even watch basketball.

5. BackdoorHarden

He's 32 years old bro. The same age as Deron Williams and more injury prone.

32 years old

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

For those who keep saying players just use us as
    It's like you tried thinking of the worst possible comparison

DonKnock, BigMaloe, J Sizzle and 3 others like this.
  7. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

With a few moves, we can set ourselves up to get both CP3 and Melo by:
    1. renouncing main FAs
    2. trading Anderson and Lou for non- or partially- guaranteed contracts
    3. signing CP3
    4. trading for Melo

Details:
    Rockets current salary obligation: $97.0 MM
    Renounce Nene, Bobby Brown, & Troy Williams: $90.3 MM
    Trade HOU-Ryan Anderson for SAC-Aaron Afflalo ($1.5 MM gtd) and SAC-Malachi Richardson (non-gtd): $72.2 MM
    Trade HOU-Lou Williams for MIN-Hill/MIA-Ellington/BKN or PHI-cap/ORL-Watson/PDX-Ezeli: $65-66 MM + 850k roster charge --> $66.1-67.1 MM
    Waive Kyle Wiltjer & Isaiah Taylor: $63.5-64.5 MM + $1.7 MM roster charges --> $65.2-66.2 MM

Sign Chris Paul to $34.8-$35.8 MM deal (4 yrs for $153 MM)

Trade HOU-Eric Gordon & HOU-Trevor Ariza for NYK-Carmelo Anthony

Line-Up:
    Capela/Onuaku
    Melo/Harrell
    Harden/Dekker
    Beverley
    Paul

We'd only have minimum deals to offer at this point, so we'd have to scrap a bit to fill the rest of the roster

FAs to target:
    Bigs: Nene, Kyle Wiltjer, Josh Smith, Ekpe Udoh, Anthony Randolph, Brandon Bass, Christian Wood, Donatas Motiejuenas (lol), Terrence Jones
    Wings: Vince Carter, Troy Williams, Brandon Rush, Gerald Green, Alan Anderson, Omri Casspi
    Guards: Isiah Taylor, Bobby Brown, Trey Burke, Aaron Brooks, Randy Foye, Norris Cole, Mario Chalmers

Second round prospects (43rd and 45th picks):
    Bigs: Kennedy Meeks, Nigel Hayes, Jonah Bolden
    Wings: Josh Hart, Sindarious Thornwell, Dwayne Bacon
    Guards: Frank Mason Jr, Melo Trimble

Projected Line-Up after FAs:
    Capela/Smith/Onuaku
    Melo/Harrell/Wiltjer
    Harden/Dekker/Williams
    Beverley/Hart/Taylor
    Paul/Mason Jr/Brown

#somethingupmysleeve

**salary data from Spotrac**

#347 joshuaao, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    DonKnock and slickricky like this.
  8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

So thic like Hannah

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

same boat... I'm probably one of the most vocally pissed off about Harden guys on the board... mainly bc with parker and kawhi out, i figured we'd easily win game 6 and carry the momentum into a game 7 victory... that lasted until about the second quarter of game 6... it was there for the taking... until someone decided to go diva and basically say FU to the entire fanbase...

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Bosh

RasaqBoi, pippendagimp and joshuaao like this.
  11. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I'm not sure that Paul is the right piece for this team but if you have a chance to land him you do it 10 times out of 10. I think landing a player such as Paul George or Gordon Hayward would move the needle more for the Rockets.

I'm also fairly confident that if Paul were to leave L.A the Spurs would be the obvious choice and the best fit for him. I do find it interesting though how many CP3 memorabilia ads seem to be popping up on Clutchfans lately. ;)

joshuaao and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  12. Asian Sensation

He's 32 years old bro. The same age as Lebron James.

13. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

just say no

14. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

If we are ever going to have a chance against Golden State it is going to take something like this...

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would he chose us over San Antonio?

amaru likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

Trying to land one of these gangbanging divas is just going to leave you alone, empty handed and with a high bill at "Las Americas" restaurant.

17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets mange to sign Chris Paul, I'd trust coach D to design an offense based around two primary ball handlers. Just because we don't see it, doesn't mean it cant be done.

18. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Seems like the consensus is that CP3 to Houston is a bad move, which I agree with... somewhat. If CP3 wants to play with Harden, he is going to HAVE to play less like a true point guard and focus primarily on defense and shooting. But if that's the case, I am positive you can find a player that is good at those things at half the cost.

I think it could also work if CP3 sits out a good portion of the season to stay healthy for the playoffs. Similar to what the Warriors did with Durant. The Rockets don't need CP3 for the regular season, but they will for the playoffs.

19. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

The lineup would be more balanced and stronger defensively with a Millsap or Griffin or Hayward type (in lieu of Melo), but I feel like a core component of selling CP3 is having the Melo deal lined up.

Our depth is gutted afterwards, so we'd have to trust Morey to find quality rotation pieces with late picks and minimum deals. Of all GMs in the league, this is where I think he really excels (see: Beverley, Covington, Parsons, Harrell, Landry, etc.), but is still a tall task for anyone.

A core 7 of
    Capela/Harrell
    Melo/Dekker
    Harden
    Beverley
    Paul

Is pretty damn solid, but without quality depth, this group would be out of gas by the end of the year. Regardless, this is shaping to be a very entertaining summer.

20. HTM

HTM Member

He would have to take the minimum to play for the SAS... they are capped out.

But if money isn't really an object.... no reason to play for us.

I think he would be redundant here anyways... we need a star wing not another ball dominant guard.