1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: Rockets among suitors for Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Lightsnowaction

CP3 meeting is great, but Nuggets and Spurs are great fits for him.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

If CP3 decides to leave the Clippers, then the Spurs have to be the favorite. I don't see how u could make the argument that the Rockets are more appealing than them. He's a more natural fit in SA, they have Kawhi who is seen as a better player than Harden, they have Pop, and they're a championship organization.

What would Morey's pitch be to CP3, and how could it trump what SA has to offer?

Vivi and cheke64 like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Show him sleeves & what's up them? ;)

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"I went on Clutchfans and they said I should trade James Harden so we can be good 8 years from now. What do ya say, Chris?" - Morey

Deuce, Cash Cam and Reeko like this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Houston is a better media market. Paul is a guy who does a lot of endorsements.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I strongly disagree with Kawhi being a better player than Harden. But Pop is probably the greatest coach of all time and Kawhi is probably a much better fit to play with Paul than Harden.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Everyone CALM DOWN! The "we have no chance at this guy" attitude is so typical of FAKE ASS Rocket fans! The Rockets are just as good as they Spurs and can be better next year IMO. Bringing in CP3 will be nice, however, the only way to convince CP3 that this situation is best for him would be to tell him that someone else such as PG13, Milsap, Blake, or even Hayward will accompany him is enough to sel him and vice versa. Of course convincing the other players is KEY but certainly NOT far fetched.

True Rocket likes this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, the Nuggets were absolutely on fire the second half of the season, and basically have a huge gaping hole at PG.

Add CP3 to the Nuggets, and to me they have home court potential next year. I mean the Clippers went from 32-50 to 40-26 (strike shortened season, basically a 50 win team in an 82 game season) with CP3's addition.

CP3 leaves the Clippers, who fall way down the peking order, and especially if Hayward leaves the Jazz, I don't think the Nuggets leapfrogging OKC, Mem, Portland, Utah, LAC is all that out of the question

Look at the Celtics. From 07/08 to 11/12 they went to two Finals, winning one, and lost in the conference Finals one more time. They tried to hold on for 12/13, then decided to rebuild... and had exactly ONE down year at 25-57 before getting back to the playoffs to this year's 53 win, conference Finals team.. AND, oh btw, the #1 pick in the draft, lol.

Obviously this isn't the pitch to CP3... .

10. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

What superstar do the Nuggets have?? That's just a waste of time for Cp3. Its beween the Clips, Spurs and Rockets.

#210 True Rocket, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  11. onreego

onreego Member

Do I get cheaper State Farm Insurance with him in town?

bulkatron and J.R. like this.
  12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Jokic.... that dude is beyond legit.

Caesar likes this.
  13. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I love CP3 and I don't think he gets enough credit for how good he is, especially since he left New Orleans. I do worry about his fit here though. He likes the ball in his hand, and I don't think Harden is going to be relinquishing his usage anytime soon. If we're willing to go after marquee free agents, we should be looking at players that can line in the 3 to 5 spots. Preferably the 4.

We should be gauging interest in Hayward, PG, Griffin, among others. There are some decent options out there.

Caesar likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

He's nice but Cp3 is to old to go to a team filed with young guys who have zero playoff expiernce.

bulkatron likes this.
  16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

The fact that he's taking a meeting with the Nuggets tells me he puts weight into the three-ball system. For San Antonio, he's probably taking their meeting because it's Gregg Popovich. The Rockets are not as bad a fit as some seem to think here. It'll likely boil down to trusting SA's proven system or almost every point guard's natural preference to run and gun, which Houston did very well and Denver excelled at in the second half of the season.

17. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Seriously..I know we picked Clint in that draft but Jokic is awesome. Also, we picked Nick Johnson (remember him?) one spot AFTER Jokic. I wonder if Morey would've taken him had he been available.

bulkatron likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

those are weak reasons tho Don

What basketball reasons could Morey bring up that would Trump SA? How could he convince Paul that he'd have more success in Houston than in San Antonio?

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Forsure on this it has to be something bigger than just teaming up cp3 with harden.

While pairing the two def makes the rockets better and prob gets them to the WCF over the Spurs, it still leaves you in defeat in 5 maybe 6 games tops against the Warriors and that's best case scenario, rockets could just as easily get swept.

I'm guessing houston pitch is they can become a younger version of the Cavs with just cp3 harden playing the Lebron Irving role and Ryno playing the love role as stretch 4 with whatever better role players are left over.

Not a bad pitch honestly.

While the fit is strange on paper the talent is there and at the end of the day talent wins in this league.

I do think harden and Paul could work and be great together but they both have to change slightly, not too much but slightly.

Imo I just don't see a scenario we're adding cp3 to harden is bad I just don't. You put 2 of the top 3 playmakers on the same team and both can also score.

Bottem line is you take that chance.

But in order to compete with golden state I do agree we need one more star be it Hayward Paul George or the wild card imo Demarcus cousins.

Talent wins and imo you roll the dice on a cp3/harden/star surrounded by whatever roll players Morey can retain.

At least you make houston on paper look like a real threat which the NBA needs it can't just be the Cavs only that can challenge golden state. It also lets us houston fans see harden play with another real superstar and frankly it would just be exciting for NBA ppl.

The NBA needs talent playing with either harden or Kawi Leonard or both in order to make the story line better, I'm a firm believer in this.

20. pass_to_Hakeem

Lol he ain't signing in HOU!! Why would he??? They gonna move Harden back to the "2"? They just won over 55 games with Harden at the "1"

He won't help them beat GS!!! They need more than that