1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terror attack on London Bridge June 3 2017

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jun 3, 2017.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I still don't get the merit behind Trump's argument. As a president doesn't he want his citizens to stay calm during attacks? Isn't that the best course of action for normal citizens that aren't part of the FBI or some law enforcement entity?

Why does an accountant need to panic?

2. fchowd0311

In what way? This is new. It used be praise worthy for leaders to keep their heard calm during the storm. We are talking about sporadic attacks that have no warning signs in public places. Causing citizens to fear and panic is what shitty leaders do. It's what ISIS wants them to do also. I like doing things that are against what ISIS wants.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

'calm' and 'alarmed' are not opposites. i can be concerned and calm. Citizens of London should be alarmed and they should take more care and be more vigilant because of this attack.

4. fchowd0311

Yes, it used be a good thing for leaders not to be 'alarmed' publicly especially with these type of attacks. Being alarmists with these type if attacks entials citizens being uneasy and withdrawn from public spaces. You want a society like that?

Stop attempting to justify everything Trump says. He says things from the standpoint of a man with no true leadership experience. He is not the type if person who plays hypothetical thought games over his potential decesions or words. He just blurts them out because it sounds macho to his base.
    Blasting the mayor of a city that just experienced a terror attacks because the mayor told it's citizens to be calm is just flat out absurd. It accomplishes nothing besides more division.

5. tallanvor

That's because you define alarmed as being emotional and irrational from what i can tell.

do i want it? no of course not. Doesn't mean the citizens shouldn't.

6. fchowd0311

I define it as lambasting mayor for telling his citizens to stay calm after a terror attacks.

7. tallanvor

He told them 'not to be alarmed'. which is wrong. they should be alarmed and concerned. politically speaking probably the right thing for the mayor to say.

Also your sentence makes no sense. you define alarmed as 'lambasting mayor for telling his citizens to stay calm after a terror attacks.'? thats what alarmed means to u?

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Terrorists realizing out how deadly vehicles can be has really sucked...

I realize that is an understatement, but damn.

9. tallanvor

Is it more or less deadly than just strapping a bomb on your body and walking into a crowd? i'm not sure. either way if jihadis want to kill tons of people , they can.

10. fchowd0311

Telling his citizens that they ought be alarmed after a terror attacks on a public space is stupid. You tell your law enforcement and intelligence gathering entities in private to step it up and be concerned. That's how leadership works. You don't tell people who have no power over these matters to be alarmed. Being alarmed for them does no good.

If a leader wanted to take advantage of the fear so his constituents ignore shitty domestic policy then they would tell their constituents to be alarmed. The best way to stay in power is to create fear of a outside threat.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Seriously? This has been well-reported over the weekend. The Mayor was specifically advising Londoners that they should not be alarmed about the increased police presence. The full quote:

http://ktla.com/2017/06/04/presiden...t-about-london-mayor-following-terror-attack/
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/03/politics/donald-trump-london-travel-ban/index.html
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-security-trump-idUSKBN18U0YC

Which then led to universal condemnation of Trump and support of the Mayor:

Conservative Prime Minister Theresa May:
    US Ambassador to UK:
    Conservative Penny Mordaunt:

12. tallanvor

they do have power. they can have defense against a knife wielding nut job coming at them. Citizens can dictate where they go and when. Citizens can choose to call authorities for suspicious behavior.

Again poltically speaking, telling everyone this is nothing to be concerned about makes sense, but for the best interest of the people, maybe he should suggest they start being more cautious and vigilant. Maybe he should tell citizens to start assuming it will happen again (it will).

#252 tallanvor, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yeah, "no reason to be alarmed" is a direct quote. It is also a stupid thing to say and counterfactual.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"Do not be alarm"...

15. Bandwagoner

Or ride his bike around to show his confidence instead of pulling his best Iraqi Minister of Information impression. I feel bad for the guy, He is incredibly nice and way out of his depth. He has almost no real power and I suspect he is an atheist in a horrible position.

16. fchowd0311

Why do you refuse to admit you've been duped by bullshit?

“Londoners will see an increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days. There’s no reason to be alarmed,” he said.

And even if he stated it in the context you were duped into believing, he's still right. There is no reason for the average Londoner to be alarmed. There is no rational benefit to being alarmed.

17. Bandwagoner

Except for the rash of terrorist attacks? I would be alarmed, for good reason. A low level politician has made a gaff, I haven't been duped.

Astrodome likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

“Londoners will see an increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days. There’s no reason to be alarmed,” he said.

He doesn't want to make his citizens think they are in some martial law state. That's perfectly rational.

I seriously misjudged your intelligence.

You as a citizen can be alarmed but a leader telling you to be alarmed is silly. You don't tell massive groups of humans to be alarmed. That's leadership 101. You tell the people involved in the actual fight to be on their toes, ramp up efforts etc. Not the general population.

Eric Riley likes this.
  19. Bandwagoner

Thanks. The "you aren't who I thought you were" scheme is a popular one with no effectiveness. Considering you said I was angry that I saw black people that weren't my slaves once I don't really give much merit to your current opinion of me.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bombs can be more deadly (OKC bombing), but a vehicle is much more accessible, takes only basic knowledge to use, and much harder to catch in advance.