1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Leftovers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jun 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I really enjoyed last night's episode. Very humorous throughout, and then crushingly sad at the end.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

My finale theory:

I think Nora's going to die from that radiation blast thing and be sent to the "after life". The doves/nun place we saw earlier in the season where she goes by "Sarah" is going to be the same world as the one that Kevin just nuked (post-apocalyptic world, hence the communicating with doves and such). Kevin's going to spend his life keep dying to look for her in that world. Time will pass and they will age. The last scene of the series is going to be him finally finding her in that world.

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Omg I'm full of so much emotion after reading this. I want this to happen now.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I kind of feel like a proper ending is either Kevin dreamed the whole thing since the beginning or he's having a "Jacob's Ladder" deal where all this stuff is happening in his mind on his death bed while he's dying. The idea that we should be taking everything that is happening at face value based on how we see it just doesn't feel right with me. Of course, the idea that he dreamed it or had a "Jacob's Ladder" deal going on also feels like a complete cop-out. This just seems like we are going to have the same feeling that we had at the end of "Lost". That said...I really don't understand much of what is going on here in all the details. So, did it turn out that Kevin's Dad was wrong about the flood and needing to sing the song that Kevin was trying to find in the other world (or whatever) to bring back to stop it? Or, did Kevin blowing up the world he was in with the nukes stop the rain in the real world? Or, was the 7 year anniversary of the departure less drama than everyone expected and nothing was ever going to happen meaning it was just another day...meaning that rain was just a rainy day? At face value, it seems Kevin can die and come back at will. But, he doesn't seem to be going where the departed went but where you go when you die. He hasn't actually seen any departed when he dies...has he? And, it seems like he is interacting with the one guy on the bridge, etc. is actually God in disguise? It's just a really strange show and I'm not sure what to think. But, it's been interesting and fun to watch.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Think back to the first episode of season 3 with all of those people on the roof waiting for the end of the world. The preacher kept changing the dates on when it would happen, fewer people would believe him and fewer people would be on the roof waiting on that date. I think by the end of that cold open it was just one woman waiting in the rain. I think seeing Kevin Sr. at the end of episode 7 is a good parallel to that. He seems to be the last one to think anything will happen.

6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Kevin isn't going to be dying again that's for sure. I'm guessing Laurie committed suicide. I was kinda unsure from episode 6 if she went through with it or not.

7. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

If Laurie killed herself I would think she would have shown up when Kevin was "dead"

K mf G likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is the lady with the pigeons.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Interesting thoughts,
    but wouldn't the rest be in danger of radiation blast too, I thought everyone was pretty much in the same area (relative), like I'd think everyone Kevin is w/ would have been hurt too. I'm assuming we're talking about the sub incident *

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, that's kind of what I mentioned before... I don't think it would be as easy as the show makes it seem.. I am worried on how much will be answered for finale, I know a lot probably won't but hopefully it's better than what I heard about "Lost"

11. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Just let the mystery be.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

No, I'm talking about the concentrated radiation blast thing that Nora tried to sign up for but got rejected because she didn't answer the "would you kill a baby to cure cancer" question right.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Ahh, perfect, I gotcha now. Sorry on that!

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm okay with mystery, just want it to be good :)

15. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Wow. That was perfection.

OmegaSupreme and Rashmon like this.
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Agreed.They did a great job.

17. Surfguy

Very strange indeed. I liked the ending but, at the same time, the lingering questions leave me a bit unfulfilled. Indeed, I know what it feels like to be a leftover. The show left me over.

mrm32 likes this.
  18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Idk what to think. Are we suppose to take it at face value? Is this open to interpretation?

19. Surfguy

I dunno but HTF is Nora selling:

When I came back, I didn't tell you because I knew you wouldn't believe me. She's telling that to the guy who, every time he dies, he comes back and has some whack stories about what happened. If anyone would believe Nora, then it would be Kevin.

If we take this at face value, then this is just an alternate dimension thing where these people were ripped apart from each other at a moment in time but are still living. And, it was completely random having nothing to do with being saved or God. If you were standing in that spot, then you went. If you were standing in that other spot, then the perception is you didn't go anywhere. Each side feels like the others disappeared and they're grappling with the outcome best they could. It was an "event" that had never been experienced before. I would just chalk it up to a supercollider experiment gone awry and leave it at that. I mean...do those folks really know wtf they are doing with those things? I don't think they do. They pretend they do. Oh...we're looking for dark matter and to prove it exists. We're also spawning tiny black holes. No big whoop.

#339 Surfguy, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

acceptance is so freeing. ;) wish i were better at it... like nora.

i'm here

dope arse series.