1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Kathy Griffin Video (Warning: Graphic)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, May 30, 2017.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't care.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  2. cml750

cml750 Member

FB please point to the post where I actually criticized what Griffin did? You are trying to point out hypocrisy when there is none. I respect Griffin's right to do what she did just as I respect Nugent's right to free speech. Both are rather stupid for what they did if you ask me but they have the right to do it but either should expect Secret Service scrutiny for veiled threats at the President no matter who said President is. I am not sure what you picked the post you did to assume I am outraged by what Griffin did as I was mainly responding to Bob's last paragraph.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah and NewRoxFan like this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you didn't criticize her or make comments about "Just imagine what would happen if anyone did this to Obama...", then great.

I agree with you that both were within their right of free speech. Griffin was hoping for some amount of publicity and it was an attention grabbing stunt. Nugent simply gets a kick out of what he believes to be outrageous comments.

I find that anyone who is always trying so hard to be intentionally outrageous ends up being the opposite. I only find things truly outrageous when the person making the comments is sincere.

cml750 likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you should then unlike the OP's original scathing criticism. I think when you liked that you are agreeing with it. You are being disingenuous here.

6. cml750

cml750 Member

I have no issue with what the OP stated. I don't see it as "scathing". People would have went nuts if this was done to Obama and they would be within their rights to go nuts just as the person who did it would be within their rights to do it. Either way it is stupid and quite frankly her reaction to the reaction of what she did is stupid. What did she expect? Nugent was stupid too but within his rights as well as the people who got upset about it but I don't recall him losing it over the reaction to what he did. That said, the main reason I "liked" the post was the second short paragraph. I will quote it below to refresh your memory. I think that is spot on. If I had a problem with what Griffin did I would have made a post stating so.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

See my response to Lou above. To be honest what she did didn't bother me and neither does the reaction to it. I personally think people are free to do either. I do think she should not be shocked by the reaction like she pretends to be or perhaps she didn't think their would be consequences which is incredibly naive.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If you feel it was ugly, that is criticism of what she did, why are you trying to run away from it? If you agree it was ugly, then you had a problem with it.

Personally, I HAD A PROBLEM with what she did. I don't think portraying the death of a public figure or a real person should be protected speech as it is very close to inciting violence. Not all speech should be protected. Speech that calls for punching of someone should not be protected. What if some psycho saw what she did and it inspired them to do something atrocious. I condemn it when the right incites violence, and do it when ANYONE incites violence.

So I find it disturbing that you do not have a problem with what she did.

9. cml750

cml750 Member

Are we really having this debate? I think she was incredibly stupid but I stand by her right to do it. Are you seriously question me agreeing it was ugly? It is ugly and was meant to be. She was trying to get attention by using shock and she got more than she bargained for. I do not have a problem with her exercising her free speech or with the people who are upset about it. I don't even consider it a threat because I know there is no way Griffin would actually do that. It was an INCREDIBLY stupid act and she is paying for it.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

She is showing the President beheaded. If that is not inciting violence, I am not sure what is. It's a clear message - invoking Louis XVI and the French Revolution.

My argument isn't that she doesn't have a right to say what she did, but rather it should not be protected speech. There's a difference between saying speech should be illegal and saying it should not be protected. In this case, it should not be protected. And if something were to happen tied to this, she should be potentially liable in a civil court.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

Well we disagree on this. I do not like what she did and think it was in incredibly poor taste but I still think she has freedom of expression to do it. I do not think this will incite anyone to decapitate the President who wouldn't already ACTUALLY want to do it like a jihadist. I do not think for a second even the most extreme leftist want to kill Trump. I do respect your view on this and see how you could feel this way. I just don't think this equates to yelling fire in a crowded room. Limiting speech is a slippery slope. Once we start down that path it could easily get out of hand. That is why all this PC stuff gets under my skin. Someones right to not be offended does not trump another persons right to free speech. Someone who says or does something intentionally offensive is on the wrong side of what is decent but not on the wrong side of the law.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Freedom to do something doesn't mean freedom from consequences for your actions though. I have no problem with her being fired from CNN and I have no problem if she loses other work over this. What she did isn't illegal and shouldn't be IMO but it was in incredibly poor taste as you said....and even worse, it wasn't funny....which is the worst crime a comedian can commit and the main reason why she should lose work over this.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think you struggle with the concept of free speech.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Slander and inciting violence are not protected speech. This isn't the way I feel, it's not my opinion, it's the law.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How are you guys still talking about Kathy Griffith? I would have thought by now you'd move on to now saying folks like myself are racist because of Bill Mahr saying the N word.

Because apparently when a comedian does something offensive it's a referendum on 60% of Americans who didn't vote for Trump. And when Ted Nugent continues to violently threaten Democratic leaders it's complete silence.

Let's just please stop killing each other over the actions of attention seeking comedians that aren't that funny and burned out rock stars from the 70's. I personally condem Griffith's nonsense, and I highly condemn Mahr's use of the N word in any fashion. Can I please get one single Republican here to join me and also condem idiots like Nugent too?

#135 dobro1229, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Hakeemtheking and leroy like this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

The watermelon community is still outraged over what happened in the 80's.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Don't hold your breath.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump hosted Nugent in the WH. Quite clear that today Republican and Trump isn't really outrage about 'death' 'speech' toward POTUS. Hypocrisy on top spreading like water.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know how she thought this was something she could get away with. I think I understand what she was going for, but clearly the graphic image crosses a line of public decency and can be easily construed as a threat.

That said, personally I don't like the idea of demanding a person's career be ended because they said something that's offensive. Their employers can make that decision on their own, and the person has to accept that choice as its a consequence of their own doing, but I'd never actively try to force a person's termination for being offensive.

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

its interesting how the biased liberal media is spending way more time reporting on griffin than they did on nugent.

also worth pointing out that while griffin was blasted by most everyone regardless of political affiliation and lost her job at cnn, nugent is supported by "conservatives", defended by people like sean hannity and still invited on his show and also invited to the white house by trump.

lets not pretend like the response and backlash is the same.

dobro1229, Amiga and wouldabeen23 like this.