1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith Says His Rockets Team Would've Beaten '94 Bulls with Michael Jordan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 23, 2017.

?

Rockets would have won , I believe so because

1. Yes, I was old enough to watch the Rockets vs Bulls in the 90s and saw the Rockets dominate

83 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. Yes, I'm not old enough but the numbers don't lie, 8-2 during the early 90s

28 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. No, Jordan didn't play in 1995

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. No, Rudy T warned you guys about me, I'm a non believer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm neutral, but I know the 90s Rap Music is a ton better than this Travis Scott/ Drake crap now

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What people don't understand about this is that none of those people who hate the Rockets championships never saw them.
    The NBA wasn't everywhere like now, you can't get league pass or watch NBATV or ESPN. It was controlled by NBC mainly.
    You were fed what they gave you, which was the Bulls.

Obviously people could watch the Rockets for free on channel 20 back in the day in Houston.

How many people knew Robert Horry was before the Lakers? Answer: the people in Houston did.
    What about Sam Cassell? Answer: the people in Houston did.

Basically some old WW2 vet who went to combat is laughing at some high school kid who knows their WW2 history through call of duty games.
    that's the scenario we are facing.

The combination of joy for our championships and disrespect for our championships brought us Rockets fans closer together.

Look at this site. This is what happened. Clutchfans.
    We know why you created this house @Clutch

2. Homey the Clown

Jordan worshipers won't buy into any argument thrown at them.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

I got to smoke with Willie Nelson. But so did a few thousand other people in Austin.
    Keep Austin Weird.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

http://clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=135

[​IMG]
    Saying Goodbye to a Houston Legend
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THURSDAY, AUGUST 2, 2001 11:59 PM CT
    [​IMG]
    By Clutch
    Copyright 2001 ClutchFans.net
    [​IMG]
    It had been rumored for weeks, and was fairly obvious during a Toronto press conference Tuesday, but when it became official later in the afternoon that Houston's legendary center would no longer be a Rocket and was heading to Toronto, I was simply disappointed.
    Not because it hurts the Rockets, but because it really doesn't hurt the Rockets.

A legend shouldn't go out that way.

With their hand forced, the Rockets dealt the greatest player ever to don their uniform to the Canadian Dinos for throw-in draft picks. Not Hakeem Olajuwon. His tenure in Houston just doesn't end like that.

It's foolish to think my words could possibly describe the glorious ride (H)Akeem Abdul Olajuwon has taken Houston basketball fans on these past 20 years and in particular, how he's impacted my life. Without him I probably never become a big Rocket fan. I certainly never would have created this site 5 years ago and the term "Clutch City" would conjure up visions more of used car parts than playoff basketball in Houston.

From the moment I first saw him play, I was hooked. Clyde Drexler. Guy Lewis. Phi Slamma Jamma. 6-feet and 11-inches of raw athleticism. Cat quick, amazing footwork and a brilliant shot blocker, it was obvious Olajuwon was going to be a special player. He led the Cougars to the Final Four all three seasons. It was crushing he would leave after his junior season, but it was equally sweet he would play professional ball in the same city.

From there he took it to a whole new level. He simply electrified this city. The Twin Towers. Those "Unbeatable" McDonald's chicken nuggets. Battles with referee Jack Madden. Cold-cocking Mitch Kupchak.

Sports Illustrated dubbed him the "New Force" back in '86, and he proved them right. Olajuwon became a terror. Too strong. Too quick. All-World. Unstoppable. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's shyhook shot was said to be unblockable. Hakeem rejected it on several occasions. Remember that insane "fly-back-then-feet-to-the-rim" slam against the Kings in the 1986 playoffs? To this day you can still read "Etonics" printed on Otis Thorpe's forehead.

Dream Shake. Dream Spin. Dream Hook.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    There's Arsenio Hall, practically begging Olajuwon on his show to come play for the Lakers, but Hakeem, while flattered, calls Houston "home" and expresses his desire to bring the first ever championship to the Texas city. On national TV. That was something.

Things changed. Etonics out, LA Gear in. Teammates tossed due to drugs. Ralph Sampson simply tossed. Team got worse. Dream became bitter. Hakeem "The Team" they called him, but when guys like Buck Johnson, Derrick Chievous and Dave Jamerson are considered second and third scoring options, you take your chance with the big fella against triple-teams.

1992 is rock bottom. The team just misses the playoffs. Hakeem is accused of faking an injury. He demands to be traded. The dream looks like it's over before it ever reaches the best part.

Hakeem changes -- he's at peace with himself. He reinvents his game. Dominates, yet gets his teammates involved. The 1992-93 Rockets are suddenly a championship-contending ballclub and the next year Hakeem simply does it all. Defensive player of the year. League MVP. NBA Finals MVP. Same Season. Still the only player in league history to do it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    He brings Houston, long with history of choking sports teams, its first ever championship. That was just a dream, until the Dream.

The next season he brings another.

Clyde returns. Anemia. 6th seed. Elimination games. "Stay Humble, Stay Hungry". Utah. Phoenix. San Antonio. David Robinson, the then-mighty Admiral, was once considered the equal of Olajuwon... that is until his demotion to sea scrub. Hakeem absolutely decimated and humiliated Robinson so badly in the Western Conference Finals, the performance still ranks in NBA history as one of legend.

Some say Hakeem was fortunate he never faced Michael Jordan in the Finals. I say Michael Jordan should thank his Nike-sponsored lucky stars every single day of his life that he never faced Olajuwon in his prime in the Big Dance.

Marc Jackson possibly replace the Dream? Please. You could fit 200 of those 270+ pound Jacksons in one of Olajuwon's shoes, and still have room left over for the Millenium Falcon.

He becomes the greatest shot blocker of all-time. Named one of the 50 greatest players of all-time. Probably could be top 10 and will no doubt be known as a player that revolutionized the center position. Guard-like skills in a massive body. No pivot ever possessed the moves, the speed, the quickness and the athleticism of Hakeem Olajuwon.

And that's where it ends for me. That's what I choose to remember about Dream. I'm not sure I like the rest. The bitterness in his final season in Houston, the pride, leaving the city. That chapter isn't in my book.

You will be missed Hakeem. Good luck in Toronto. Your legend here is secure.

BlastOff and don grahamleone like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

The main reason why the Rockets don't get any respect is because the media wanted the Knicks to win.
    If the Knicks won two titles, they would be referenced all the time.

It's New York, you can have a scrub player go off on a good streak for a few weeks and he'd be on the cover of Time magazine.

Olajuwon dominates hall of fame centers on the way to win 2 titles. No mention.

plutoblue11 and don grahamleone like this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

I have zero doubt the Dream led Rockets would have beaten the Jordan led Bulls, absolutely no doubt. It is not the Rockets fault Jordan quit for a couple of years.

I have seen some tin foil hat conspiracy people say there was a scandal with Jordan and he was actually suspended for a couple of years due to gambling but Stern did not want to give the league a black eye with the popularity Jordan brought to the league so he "retired". I am not saying I believe that but it is intriguing.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

He was there in 1995. Nobody talks about how his team got beat by Shaq and Penny.

There's a better chance that people would believe Aliens would invade the earth than anyone mentioning Jordan was there in 1995 when we won our second title.

JayGoogle and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Dayum

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Elite Defender? We paid Pippen Max Salary only to see young Kobe Bryant destroy him.

Rather have Horry, he won 7 titles.
    [​IMG]

Pen15clubber likes this.
  10. the shark

the shark Member

Preach it Kenny!!!!

11. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Pippen's take on the jump

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Why is Pipsqueak even on TV? One of the crappiest Rockets of all-time.

tinman likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

But Mj was back in 95... so he had the opportunity to show the world that he could beat the Rox... oh but he got knocked out by Shaq... who we swept... so there's that... ;)

Brown Lost It likes this.
  14. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Byron Scott ..Enough said.

Coached the Lakers to multiple championships with his innovation and strategic understanding of the game.

Successfully led his dominant Lakers team in 1986 past the Houston Rockets of Olajuwon/Sampson.

Oh...wait...

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude is a horrible NBA analyst too
    TNT is so much better than ESPN

16. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

I agree TNT is better, its just that Shaq is beginning to lose his shine for me.

When you have players that were the Main guys + they have rings = Full of themselves at times/ can't take a joke at their own expense.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Shaq is the worst part of TNT
    And on top of that he mumbles
    Should have made Chris Webber the other analyst

18. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Hakeem would've cook the **** out of Pippen. scottie has has no idea

also, what he fails to understand is if he is guarding hakeem then that just creates so many mismatches everywhere else. It's a lose lose for the bulls

also, Byron Scott is wrong. When you were talking about the greatest teams yeah you don't hear the Rockets but you always hear about hakeem when discussing the greatest ever.

19. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I Also agree we would've beat them, but let me play devils advocate so we can dispute:

Jordan in 95 only played like 20 games and didn't have a full season under him

The Bulls in 95 didn't have a roster constructed for Jordan. Guys like Horace grant and others had bounced when Jordan left

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

In 1994, you know who was scared? Michael Jordan. That's why he retired, he was scared to ruin his Finals reputation.

Mr.Scary and tinman like this.