1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Harden for Westbrook now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, May 13, 2017.

?

Would you trade Harden for Westbrook now?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. No

205 vote(s)
    79.2%
  1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Hell nah. Harden is better now than Westbrook ever was, no matter how badly he played in game 6. Not to mention the fact that he's two years younger and built for the future.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually they're closer in age than you think. Just over a year to be exact which isn't much difference.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Why? Westbrook couldn't lead his team anywhere either. You need to get them to play together.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I would rather have Westbrook than Harden... though it's almost even.

But... If I'm trading Harden, and I am for that, I am doing so for as many lottery tickets as possible to try and field a deep playoff team in 5 years. Basically I'd try to recreate GSW, OKC, Cleveland, LAC, Utah... all these teams built through the draft with multiple all-star lotto picks... then supplemented with other players (in Cleveland and now GSW case, top 3 MVP level players...)

My ideal trade has him going to Boston for Nets 2017 pick, Nets 2018 pick, and two players (something like Bradley + Zizic, or Brown + Yabusele).

But I have a lot of friends that love the Celtics. Guess what? they don't want Harden. Don't trust him. They'd much prefer a player like Jimmy Butler.

If Lakers get the top pick, I'd move Harden for something like Ingram, Clarkson, Randle, 2017 #1. Even Magic might think that's too much, lol. Eliminate Randle. Add a future pick. Something like that.

But the Rockets would suck next year!!! Yes. But the Hinkie plan FAILED!! Well... kind of, kind of not. The biggest thing about the Hinkie plan that failed was the injuries. That aside... hate to time drafts, but this year's draft and next year's draft are going to be great drafts... imo. Something like the Celtics deal would give them back to back top 5 picks from the Nets, plus their own pick next year which would/should be a solid lotto pick as well.

I think DM has always secretly wanted to go the top lotto pick route anyway.

Can't see a path to a ring with Harden.
    Can't see a path to a ring just switching Harden with Westbrook.

5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Good call, coulda sworn Harden was still 26. Either way, a year's a year, and Harden's game is, in all likelihood, going to age far better than Westbrook's.

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lol harden won 55 games, empowered his teammates and took us to game 6 vs a 61 win team in the 2nd round. Yes he had a horrendous game 6 but people are acting as if he cant play lol.

Westbrook lost in the 1st round in 5 games...Westbrook has had numerous meltdowns also. Game 6 vs warriors?

Did the bbs all just decide optics in an elimination game were more important than their whole bodies of work?

Harden was mentally shook. Game 5 he started out on fire then tired out and lost it late, so game 6 he decided hed get his teammates going, start slow, and turn it on with lots of energy late.

He forced weird passes and teammates missed shots and he never got into a rythym and we were down 25 before anyone was abke to get going.

People are acting as if harden lost on purpose or is a terrible bball player. Wtf? Lol.

J Sizzle and SuperMarioBro like this.
  7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Are you trying to say that Westbrook is better at making shot decisions than Harden? Both are bad, believe me, but have you not seen the countless games this year where Westbrook shot the Thunder out of the game by taking 40+ shots? And Westbrook isnt far behind in the turnover race either. Plus, Harden will age far better than Westbrook, who is already showing inevitable physical decline. So, yes, I would rather have one of the best creators the league has ever seen than the most inefficient "MVP" the league has ever seen. Talk to me when Westbrook gets out od the first round by himself, because his surrounding cast is good enough for Harden to do so. Stop PMSing about Hardens last game. It happened. Its over. Stop making rash claims.

slothy420 likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

both sides of talk to the side, this is the first time i'm seeing this. if what you call decline started already was anything we've seen from wb this year, he has a very long ways to go then

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe this. But to answer this question...yes...the BBS did decide this.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Mind f*** right there... lulz

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

What does this have to do with anything, though?

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yes, b/c the Spurs provided the league with a blueprint on how to neuter Harden. All the regular season success in the world doesn't mean a thing if it doesn't translate into playoff success or at least expected playoff success in the future.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I was debating this with a few friends during the series (Thunder vs. Rockets) and ultimately came to the conclusion that I would not.

Russell is a monster stat machine atm which is hard to do in this day and age. But with age comes decline in athletic ability and he's not to far away from reaching that decline especially, with the major injuries he's accumulated over the past few years.

I don't see Harden's game changing much with age... he's not super quick, he's not fast, he doesn't jump out of the gym but his ball skills and decision making are extremely sound. He can create and score almost at will.....

I can see why these knee-jerk threads gain traction but I thought of this too... just couldn't pull myself to saying yes.

14. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Easy answer for me.......YES!!!

You can come up with all the BS and stats and fit, but what it comes down to me is heart. You just don't quit especially during a closeout game in the playoffs. To be a leader on a team, you have to leave it out there on the floor and be able to say after the game that you gave it your all. I don't think Harden even broke a sweat in Game 6 which is pathetic especially if your goal is to take the next step to a championship.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

people think harden's decline is going to be ok but that's far from the case. I said this a long time ago. The fact that harden draws so much contact takes a toll on his body and it will have a very significant effect on his decline. That goes for anyone else that plays in similiar fashion, not just him. He's not too far from 30 and all these years of punishment will definitely catch up to him

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Contact is different from collisions, which I think you're confusing.

Harden creates contact by exposing the ball and having defenders swipe at it while driving to the rim. Sure he looks for contact to get him to the free throw line but mainly his objective is to get to the rim and (1.) make a layup or (2.) draw a foul (3.) make a layup while drawing a foul.

I agree he takes some punishment but his old man style is why Manu Ginobili is still in the game at his age and why a player like Tracy McGrady is not. Just quick examples not comparing the two in terms of skill just style of play.

RyanB likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

contact/collisions all take a tole on a players body. doesn't matter. if all these bodies are being throw at you, it'll catch up. it's not just about what harden's doing. and he takes plenty of collisions game to game every year. how many times do we see him knocked over nightly. And Manu never had the workload that Harden has and has had for the past couple of years

18. Badrose

Badrose Member

in a heartbeat

19. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Yep. Westbrook never quit.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A year ago, I probably would seriously consider that this could be a good trade for the Rockets. Not after seeing Westbrook in the triple-double-maniac season and the playoffs series against us. Harden has his issues. But Westbrook just cares about his stats, that's even worse. And he is one of the lowest IQ superstars I've seen.

As much as I am mad at Harden, I believe he still has the potential to redeem himself. Westbrook has none.

There's a Chinese saying that "It'd be better to have a prodigal son who would squander your wealth than have a stupid son."

BigggReddd and J Sizzle like this.