1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Running and Travel Advice] Looks Like I'm Going To Boston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pipe, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

So I am going to Boston to run the Marathon for the first time on April 16!

I am ready to go. I have checked out the travel guides and old CF threads, so I have a decent handle on the basics. I am staying in the Back Bay area just a few blocks from the finish line.

Some questions:

Fenway. Where is the best place to sit? I would prefer the ambiance of the cheap seats, but can pay more if its worth it.

Post race beers. Where is the best place near the finish line to meet my running buddies to do a little (or a lot) of post-race carbo loading ;).

Pubs and restaurants. Extra points for holes in the wall, cheap eats, and ethnic other than Italian (got that covered).

Other stuff to do - again, especially stuff that's not in the guide books/off the beaten path. So far I have tix to the Sam Adams brewery tour, but that's it.

Thanks much, and I will post after the race. Hoping for good weather .... :)

1 person likes this.
  2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Congrats, and have fun.

I don't have anything to offer, but I hopefully will be making a pilgrimage to Fenway Park myself later in the summer.

3. ashiin

ashiin Member

I currently live in Boston... And as embarrassing as it sounds I probably can't answer most of your questions. Hit Chinatown for great asian food, pubs are everywhere and they generally don't disappoint. How long will you be staying before leaving?

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Go check out the No Name Restaurant on the Pier. Great casual seafood place. I always go here when I am in Boston.

http://nonamerestaurant.com/

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Damn, I'm hoping to do the Boston Marathon one day, but the qualifying times are no joke. Congrats.

Hopefully 2014 or 2015.

6. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Fenway - bleachers seats are good, it has that atmosphere you're looking for.

Beers - if the race ends where I remember it ending, go to a place called "Pour House." They serve really big beers there. Many other places around there though.

Restaurants - if you go to Chinatown, go to one called "Dumpling Gourmet," best soup dumplings in the Northeast. Try "Upper Crust" pizza too, that's one of the only foods I miss from there. If you want really ethnic try "Helmand" in Cambridge, it's Afghan. Also you can try McCormick and Schmick (I know this is a chain) but they have 2 happy hour times and you can get really cheap oysters, burgers, etc and beers at the same time.

Other stuff to do - the only things to do in Boston are historical. Walk around Boston Common, Faneuil Hall, and maybe Harvard Square.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

my parents recently went to boston and were raving about that place. they did a bunch of other historical touristy stuff that you probably wouldn't find useful.

congrats on boston! i just ran my first half last month, i really love the sense of camaraderie people have on race day and running/marathoning/fitness culture in general.

when the people running the marathon broke off when we got near the 13 mile marker, i thought, holy hell...i can't believe they're going to basically turn around and run the whole thing over again. i wish you much luck in your craziness. ;)

8. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Thanks all - CF is awesome!

RMT - I had No Name written down from a previous post of yours. Ever since I went to Hank's based on your recommendation, your word is gold :). Now that I think of it, I also think I went to J&J Seafood based on your call .... You knows your food.

yipengzhou - read one of your earlier posts as well. I will check out Pour House as cheap beer appeals to those of us who are drinkers with a running problem. The race ends by the Post Office. Dumpling Gourmet sounds worth checking out.
    The Helmand got great reviews on yelp - hope I can fit it in during my 5 days there as the menu is very intriguing.

juicystream and finals - good luck with your running. Once it gets in your blood, it's addictive. If either of you are interested in the Houston running club scene, let me know. I belong to Bayou City Road Runners and among other regular runs we run Wednesday evenings around Rice/Hermann Park and meet at Valhalla afterwards for post-run hydration ;). A very cool group of folks.

Hoping for some Fenway advice .....

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There's not a bad seat at Fenway. The atmosphere is akin to college football in the South...and it seats about 36,000 total. You won't have a problem finding one seat by yourself on their website (assuming you're going alone).

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Yes sir...I knows my food...and my food knows me..... :grin:

Enjoy your trip to Boston. It is a cool place to visit.

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Very welcome. Yeah these days I really only post about Boston (since I miss living there) and other things that resonate with my experience.

I was thinking if you wanted to go out drinking at night you should go to the Hong Kong (there's two locations one in Boston one in Cambridge). That's kind of the quintessential Boston experience, haha. Although it may not be age appropriate depending on how old you are.

There's a place called "Brown Sugar" near Fenway, that has pretty authentic Thai, if it's still open.

Also, if you're into running, I would suggest a practice run along the Esplanade / Charles River (or maybe just a walk after you race). It's beautiful this time of year, and the scenery is usually pretty good. You measure your distance by bridges, the longest I ever did was from the Longfellow bridge in Beacon Hill to the Week footbridge near Harvard and back. That was 7 miles or so. You're about to do 26. So big props to you.

12. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Congrats! Have a great run.

13. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

BUMP!

Well, it was 89 degrees at the finish of the Boston Marathon in 2012 and I knew pretty much right after I shuffled across the finish line that one day I would have to go back for redemption. And that day is next Monday!

So, CF brethren, any Boston recommendations are welcome. I already have my Red Sox tix and will redo the Freedom Trail, Union Oyster House, and perhaps Sam Adams although a smaller brewery might be nice.

Extra points for hole in the wall bars (I loved JJ Foley's!), ethnic food and cultural attractions.

14. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Ethnic doesn't come to mind when I think of Boston.